Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - cf vs. bluetooth vs gps mouse
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

cf vs. bluetooth vs gps mouse

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keithc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: cf vs. bluetooth vs gps mouse Reply with quote

I cannot make up my mind whether to buy a cf card, bluetooth or a wired gps mouse. Is there anywhere where I can see a comparison with pros and cons? I was thinking of the cf card however, i was told that in the car I would need an external antenna. Is this true?

Rgds

keith

Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: cf vs. bluetooth vs gps mouse Reply with quote

The main differences are form factors and battery usage. The Bluetooth GPS Receivers will drain less power in general compared to a CF card. It depends if you need to take the GPS out of the car. If you don't, and you don't mind a cabled setup, then a mouse is the ideal solution as you have one accessory plug powering the receiver and charging the Pocket PC at the same time. If you want a cable less setup, a CF card is okay for out walking, but a Bluetooth Receiver is ideal.

You won't necessarily need an external antenna with a CF card, it depends on where you mount the Pocket PC, and also how steep your windscreen is. Some are okay. If you use a windscreen mount, then you shouldn't have much of a problem, but if you're using a vent mount, you'll probably need an external antenna. The objective is to let the receiver see as much of the sky as possible.
swan_g
Occasional Visitor

I have a Globalsat, and an Arkon Powered Multimedia PDA Mount, this mount has a powered output, that can be used with the power cable that came with the Globalsat. This way, if I need to use the BT GPS with external power, that ads just 1 cable to the setup. And in addition, the Globalsat comes with an external antenna, which I haven't need to use it yet.

The GPS sits on my dashboard, and the least satelites I locked are 6 here in Miami (actually I got only 3 once, but I was stationary just under a highway).

Anyway... I'm pretty happy with the Globalsat...

Swan
icemanwayne
Occasional Visitor

i purchased a ipaq 5450 and a navman 4400 bluetooth and yes it rocks,well worth the extra cash

flyingmanz
Occasional Visitor

Well these are just my opinion

Pros

BT GPS receiver - Easy to set up, no wires needed, do not drain power from PDA

CF GPS receiver - Easy to set up, no wires needed, easy to carry

GPS mouse - Cheaper, charge GPS and PDA together

Cons

BT GPS receiver - Most expensive among all the choices

CF GPS receiver - occupy CF slot, drains power from PDA

GPS mouse - wire problem, harder to setup

Quote: Originally posted by keithc on 13 July?003

I cannot make up my mind whether to buy a cf card, bluetooth or a wired gps mouse. Is there anywhere where I can see a comparison with pros and cons? I was thinking of the cf card however, i was told that in the car I would need an external antenna. Is this true?

Rgds

keith

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: