Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - i3 Verbal Warnings approaching roundabouts and turn warnings
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

i3 Verbal Warnings approaching roundabouts and turn warnings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wibblemonster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: i3 Verbal Warnings approaching roundabouts and turn warnings Reply with quote

Does anyone else have issues about the warning or rather lack of that the i3 gives when approaching roundabouts in order to get into the correct lane? I often find that the i3 only tells you verbally of what exit to take when 0.1 miles away from the actual roundabout. There's a large number of 3 lane roundabouts on dual carrageways around where I stay where you have to concentrate on the i3 screen (not safe) to check for the exit as the verbal and often the screen warning when in map mode does not come up soon enough.

I've also found that the i3 often tells you to take a left or right turn immediately after a turn but if you look at the map it's really the second turn, its as if there's a verbal instruction missing ie "turn right then take second right" all too often the i3 just says turn right then turn right which means that if you just listen to the verbal instructions you're away down the wrong street before you know it.
Pootle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: roundabouts Reply with quote

The approaching roundabouts can be quite a pain. If you approaching one at 70mph (ish) I find it will warn you upto a mile away from the roundabout, I guess if you apprach slower it will warn at a lesser distance Question A bit of testing maybe in order! Anyway what is annoying is when you are approaching slowly in traffic and don't know which exit you want until you are .3 / .2 miles from the island. e.g. the left lane is choca block and you want to take the first exit, if there are two lanes onto the isalnd and the Garmin told you earlier you could drive down the right lane do a lap of the island and miss the queue. It would be nice as soon as you are told you are driving to an island it also told you which exit. :D
Trajet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of any SatNav that will tell you which lane you should be in. However with larger roundabouts the i3 will say Turn Left as you approach your exit. I find if I am driving in a new area I tend to be looking at the road markings etc to see which lane to be in. I also find that I don't look at the i3 that often as the voice coomands are usually pretty good.
fishmad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Trajet the voice commands are usually all I go by when determining which lane to be in in a unknown area. I generally stick to the rule of sticking in the first lane and then moving into the right lane(s) accordingly depending on the exit number that my garmin tells me. Takes a bit of practice but once u get your mindset into this approach then Ive found that roundabouts are generally much easier to negotiate! When I first got my Garmin I spent a majority of the time looking at the screen whilst driving (Im sure we can all own upto this) I have since realised just how unsafe this can be and purposely trained my way of thinking so that I only try and listen to the auditary sounds and look at the screen in slow moving traffic or when at traffic lights. By looking at the road signs and listening to the voice commands I find it a lot easier to get around personally. Horses for courses though. Wink
wibblemonster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trajet wrote:
I don't know of any SatNav that will tell you which lane you should be in. However with larger roundabouts the i3 will say Turn Left as you approach your exit. I find if I am driving in a new area I tend to be looking at the road markings etc to see which lane to be in. I also find that I don't look at the i3 that often as the voice coomands are usually pretty good.

My problem isn't about the i3 telling me what lane to be in but rather the short distance before the roundabout until it lets you know what exit to take to allow time to get into the correct lane. As others have suggested stay in the left until the i3 tells you but all too often if I do this I discover the exit is say the 3rd or 4th and I should be in the middle or far right lane which on a busy approach with only 0.1 miles of a warning leaves you trying to force a gap in the traffic. Its even a problem on a relatively fast approached say 50mph, its still only warns you at about 0.1 miles. I've only ever had it warn me once at 0.2 miles
fishmad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wibblemonster wrote:
Trajet wrote:

My problem isn't about the i3 telling me what lane to be in but rather the short distance before the roundabout until it lets you know what exit to take to allow time to get into the correct lane. As others have suggested stay in the left until the i3 tells you but all too often if I do this I discover the exit is say the 3rd or 4th and I should be in the middle or far right lane which on a busy approach with only 0.1 miles of a warning leaves you trying to force a gap in the traffic. Its even a problem on a relatively fast approached say 50mph, its still only warns you at about 0.1 miles. I've only ever had it warn me once at 0.2 miles

Yes I agree here to, sometimes I do wish the voice commands could be set for a slightly earlier distance as it is sometimes very tricky (particularly in busy areas) to move out into the correct lane. Quite a big downfall with the units really imo.
wibblemonster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And does anyone else think theres a missing voice command .....I've also found that the i3 often tells you to take a left or right turn immediately after a turn but if you look at the map it's really the second turn, its as if there's a verbal instruction missing ie "turn right then take second right" all too often the i3 just says turn right/left then turn right/left which means that if you just listen to the verbal instructions you're away down the wrong street before you know it but if you you look at the map its the second turn immediately after the turn you just made.
irishgps
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the early warning, have you gone into the settings and changed vehicle type?

This will adjust the warning distance accordingly.
wibblemonster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mine set to "car/motorcyle" . I thought the "vehicle type" setting only adjusted the type of road you could go down ie taxi lanes, bus lanes, weight restricted roads and emergency access roads etc Question Question
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a quick scroll of the wheel to zoom out and you can see the map of the roundabout and whether 3rd exit is 'straight ahead' or 'right' and adjust lanes accordingly...

that's what i do anyway Smile

MaFt
irishgps
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i dont know for sure with the Garmin, but on a Mio 269, it used to vary the warnings etc and "hugely" vary them.
If i set it to cyclist, I'd be gone through the junction before it would even comment and as for pedestrian!!! I could be a few miles up the road!! :D

Maybe it doesnt work the same on the Garmin, but I would imagine it should. Might give it a shot myself also
wibblemonster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
a quick scroll of the wheel to zoom out and you can see the map of the roundabout and whether 3rd exit is 'straight ahead' or 'right' and adjust lanes accordingly...

that's what i do anyway Smile

MaFt

Bit dodgy though, especially if, by the nature of actually having to use GPS, you're driving in unfamiliar territory. The last thing anyone wants to be doing is adjusting the unit instead of worrying about what lane to get into for the exit. I think Garmin really need to address this in a firmware revision so that the minimum warning is at least around 0.4 miles from the roundabout or whatever the length of road is to the roundabout, whatever is the greater of the two.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: