Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - "Speeding is OK as Long as You Don't Get Caught"
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

"Speeding is OK as Long as You Don't Get Caught"
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you approve of speeding on public roads?
Yes, I unreservedly approve of speeding
2%
 2%  [ 4 ]
Yes, but only when I feel it's safe to do so
60%
 60%  [ 119 ]
I don't actually approve of speeding, but nevertheless I sometimes speed when in a hurry
25%
 25%  [ 50 ]
I don't approve of speeding and never consciously break the speed limit
12%
 12%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 197

RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: "Speeding is OK as Long as You Don't Get Caught" Reply with quote

"Speeding is OK as Long as You Don't Get Caught"

Would you agree that speeding is OK as long as you don't get caught?

The majority of drivers are known to publicly disagree with such a statement, but there are also many who would either privately or publicly admit that they agree with it.

An RAC survey reported that 84% of people disapprove of speeding yet 69% do it.

The inventor of the Gatso speed camera, ex rally car champion Maurice Gatsonides, is quoted as saying "I am often caught by my own speed cameras and find hefty fines on my doormat. Even I can't escape my own invention because I love speeding."

Please use the poll above and post a reply below if are you one of the 16% that publicly admit that they approve of speeding?

What are your reasons behind your stance?

Last edited by RobBrady on Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll put a first message in here to kick things off.

Speeding is sometimes Ok. It is not OK to do 50mph past a school at 8:30 in the morning, but doing 90mph on a motorway at midnight is not a problem.

There should be a revisiting of the speed limits. The 70mph limit was set in sixties, when cars were not exactly what they are now. These days a car can comfortably and safely cruise at 85mph, and more importantly it can stop a lot quicker when required.

In these days of ABS and far better tyre technology there is no reason to not raise the limit to 85mph. The cars are all going the same direction, there are no pedestrians, it's not a problem.

I also think that there should be differing limits depending on the time of day. For example, 30mpg on normal roads during the day, but between say 22:00 and 05:00 it could be 40mph. Again, you are unlikely to hit any kids at that time of day, and dwadling along along at 30mph seems silly.

Ok, who's next?
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nej wrote:

Ok, who's next?

Me, it seems. I agree with what you say, nej. Boring, perhaps, but there you go. That non-driving Barbara Castle has a lot to answer for. Evil or Very Mad

When I was doing my DA course on my motorbike, one of my instructors was an ex-Police motorcyclist. It was from him that I acquired the term 'inappropriate speed' which is far better than the blanket 'speeding'.

I would go further than to say that it is not OK to do 50mph past a school at 08:30; 20mph can be considered too fast in my opinion. Howver, driving past that same school at 02:30 is an entirely different matter.
Mojo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car technology is better, but the weak link is still the driver. No good having a car that can stop dead in 3 meters if you have a drunk driver at the wheel for example.

I believe the speed limit should be raised on the motorways, but not in urban areas. In fact I think the speed limit in school areas should be 20 mph max during 8am to 6pm (for example).

Better driving education is key. Maybe the government should make skid control lessons compulsory?
Home 2.7.3.1894
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i speed if i feel it's safe. i.e. i won't speed near schools but will happily do 90 on a motorway if it's clear. as soon as it rains though back down to 60.

i do think, however, that the speed laws need revising. i heard recently that on the m62 by bradford they were planning on a variable speed limit (like on m25) but with a max of 80mph if weather and traffic conditions allow - BUT they will be a lot stricter on prosecutions. not sure when this is set to be done though.

MaFt
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad nobody thinks I'm an idiot Laughing

Everone seems to think that speed limits by schools should be lowered, a very sensible thing. I drive past one in the morning that has a 20mph limit, and I find I'm probably doing less than that.

The drunk driver point is totally correct. Me sober doing 45 in a 30 at 1am is doing nobody any harm. A drunk driver doing 30 is far more likely to crash into something. That's the problem with speed cameras. They can prosecute people for minor infringements, when they are totally in control of the car, but can do nothing about those who are not able to control their vehicle properly. Twisted Evil

Surely in the future, there will be communications between vehicles, perhaps via roadside furniture such as lampposts. Your vehicle could send it's speed and braking details, which would then be assimilated and transmitted to signs further back, or even directly to your vehicle. Your vehicle could automatically slow down (bad!) or warn you of impending slow traffic. Kind of like the variable system on the M25, but one that might actually work instead of displaying 50 continuously past Heathrow for no reason...
Qorn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nej wrote:
Ok, I'll put a first message in here to kick things off.

Speeding is sometimes Ok. It is not OK to do 50mph past a school at 8:30 in the morning, but doing 90mph on a motorway at midnight is not a problem.

There should be a revisiting of the speed limits. The 70mph limit was set in sixties, when cars were not exactly what they are now. These days a car can comfortably and safely cruise at 85mph, and more importantly it can stop a lot quicker when required.

In these days of ABS and far better tyre technology there is no reason to not raise the limit to 85mph. The cars are all going the same direction, there are no pedestrians, it's not a problem.

I also think that there should be differing limits depending on the time of day. For example, 30mpg on normal roads during the day, but between say 22:00 and 05:00 it could be 40mph. Again, you are unlikely to hit any kids at that time of day, and dwadling along along at 30mph seems silly.

Ok, who's next?

I totally agree!
I use 3 diffrent cars:
A 6 month old van
A 5 Year old Car
A 20 Year old car

I travel about 1500 miles a week in my job so I use the roads every day, there have been many of times where I have had to slam on the anchors in the van which is full of stuff, the 20 year old car would have ploud into the back of the car in front, whereas the van safely came to a stop.
I am not saying that I am a nutter on the roads, but the technoligy is better, the stopping distance in my eyes is not true anymore as there are so many new factors, ie tyres, abs, traction controll, weight, etc, but the goverment still use there figures.
How many people drive around in bangers anymore?? not that many!
I do wish they would lower the speed around every simgle school in the country to 20, how are you going to feel if you knock down a 8 year old girl, and you have to watch her lying there on the floor with her parent screaming? I wouldnt wish that on anyone.
But 10pm at night there arnt any kids.
The problem is taht the country is run by people that dont know squit, all they have is twisted stastistics and a phd in sitting down and arguing like civilised 5 year olds, you only have to watch the house of commons and they are nearly saying booo to each other.

Sorry everyone, just my 5 mins of steam

Dave
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sorry everyone, just my 5 mins of steam

I bet you feel better now Dave, eh? :D
acmp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice thread.

I agree with whats been said so far. What I think we need are Tw*t cameras not speed cameras. Just find an accident black spot, stick in a digital video camera and ban the Tw*ts that you film. Like those who overtake round blind bends. Most accidents are caused by Idiots (recent crash on the A52 near Bottesfoord, inspropriate overtaking cost 6 lives) and not speed.

And while you're st it use those redlight cameras to nick cyclists.
Qorn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well
You will be pleased to know that I let my frustration out on B&Q who wouldnt replace my drill after 2 months, saying there usual qoute "If you just call that number sir for black n decker and they will repair it" whisled I was waving a copy of The Sale of Goods Act in front of them, saying replace it now.
I feel soo much better for getting one over a big company out to rip you off Wink

Regards
Dave
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking as a cyclist I fully agree the idiots that go through red lights on their bikes are just asking to donate organs. I take the view that a red light is a chance for me to take a break and have a short breather...

As far as road speeds are concerned I fully support the relaxing of speeds on motorways and "fast" roads. I would also endorse and support any attempt to make a school or hospital or similar area 20MPH. Even down my short cul de sac you will often see people drive at 30. Not illegal but certainly reckless. We have little kids play in the road, luckily nobody has been hurt YET.

An interesting experience is driving in Canada where they do have lowered speed limits around schools and playgrounds. Drivers there certainly do observe the limits and are very heavily penalised for breaking them.
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just find an accident black spot, stick in a digital video camera

Slightly off topic maybe, but did I read somewhere that digital images (even digital video) are not fully allowable as evidence of speeding in court? It has to be good old fashioned film as digital media is to prone to tampering. Anyone know if that's true?
acmp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbrady wrote:

Slightly off topic maybe, but did I read somewhere that digital images (even digital video) are not fully allowable as evidence of speeding in court? It has to be good old fashioned film as digital media is to prone to tampering. Anyone know if that's true?

With SPECS cameras issuing fines I guess digital is OK if it's processed correctly. I bet BSI has a quality standard fo it. Confused

acmp
ZenithUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that I completely agree with almost all of the points of view here. Inappropriate speeding is a no-no in my book. I travel 1000-1200 miles a week and on a dual-carriageway or motorway, I'll happily open up to 80-85mph as long as the conditions permit it. Right now we have a lot of snow, so I'm throttling back a lot just for the safety aspect.

If I'm in town, you won't find me going over the speed limit. Simple as.
Ako
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tell you what. I'll play devils advocate. While I agree with some of the points I'd like to pose a question. I guess everyone has seen the advert showing the kid laying at the side of the road with bones broken and the film reverses to show him being put back together (so to speak) and saying "if you hit me at 30mph I've got an 80% chance of surviving". The question is this: Would anyone prefer to have a blowout (if it had to happen) and hit a motorway bridge column at 70mph or at 95mph. Just a question looking from the drivers safety point of view.

Dave

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: