Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom One or Garmin C310
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom One or Garmin C310

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slider758
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: TomTom One or Garmin C310 Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'm about to purchase an in-car GPS, after doing a lot of research into the subject, I've come up with the TomTom One and Garmin C310, both at similar prices.

The most notably difference I can see is the TomTom One has the SirfStar III Chipset which performs very well (I have a heated front windscreen) but the Garmin C310 comes with the better NavTeq maps (?).

I look forward to hearing your opinions.

Thanks.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's bad form to post the same query in multiple topics. I have locked the other duplicate queries, please post any responses in this thread only.
Slider758
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that.
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom One or Garmin C310 Reply with quote

Slider758 wrote:
Hello all,

I'm about to purchase an in-car GPS, after doing a lot of research into the subject, I've come up with the TomTom One and Garmin C310, both at similar prices.

The most notably difference I can see is the TomTom One has the SirfStar III Chipset which performs very well (I have a heated front windscreen) but the Garmin C310 comes with the better NavTeq maps (?).

I look forward to hearing your opinions.

Thanks.

I would definitely go for the c310. Much neater unit and definitely better mapping and routing in my opinion.
dougconran
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its horses for courses, it depends what features are important to you. One thing that has put me off the Tom Tom One is that it has a measly battery life and so you would need to plug it in to the cigarette adapter if you are going on any sort of a journey.

I like mine stand alone becuae it is easier to take out from the car whenever you stop.

On the other hand the TT One allows you to put in multiple waypoints which may be important to you if you are a delivery driver.
rossb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slider758

I would suggest the tomtom one, as you have a heated windscreen. The Sirfstar III chipset is known for working well in these conditions. I am not sure how good the Garmin is with a heated windscreen.

I have a Garmin C320 myself. I am happy with it, but I dont have a heated windscreen.
jopf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried both but finally decided on a Garmin Nuvi300 which has the Sirf III reciver with the Garmin mapping plus the advantage of being a quarter of the size (thickness), a bit more expensive but believe me well worth it, absolutly brilliaint bit of kit
hcl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jopf wrote:
I have tried both but finally decided on a Garmin Nuvi300 which has the Sirf III reciver with the Garmin mapping plus the advantage of being a quarter of the size (thickness), a bit more expensive but believe me well worth it, absolutly brilliaint bit of kit

I have had a Garmin i3 and now have a c310. Both work excellently with a heated Front screen - no problems.
My daughter has the Navman 320 and that requires an external aerial to work in my car!
Soory, I do not have access to a TOMTOM so cannot comment in that respect.
sherman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just purchased a C310 and have had great service from it and what with the camera database I am over the moon halfords are doing a deal at the moment £100 off down to £199 very reasonable especially as the software can be updated from the garmin site best money and subscription I ever paid :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: