Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SmartST 2005 - won't register?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SmartST 2005 - won't register?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris123
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: SmartST 2005 - won't register? Reply with quote

Hi there,

Juts wondering if any of the people who have reported problems with registering / activating SmartST have been able to resolve them?

I have installed SmartST 2005 desktop on my pc, and the SmartST program has installed onto my PocketPC in the default location.

When I start SmartST desktop, it prompts me to register, then says it cannot connect to the internet. I am running Windows XP Pro with all updates, ActiveSync 3.8 and the latest version of SmartST (according to the Navman website). I can access the internet from my pc and from my PocketPC via Activesync. I have tried disabling my firewall. I am connected to the internet via a broadband ADSL router. Monitoring my ethernet connection (using Ethereal), the SmartST software pings the Navman server once and gets a ping reply from it , after which there is no further network activity.

Failing a solution, has anyone had any success returning the software to Navman for a refund?

Cheers

Chris
PocketGPS speed camera database
Strawbs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't register the first time I tried either, but since I was able to d\l the update I never let it bother me! I tried again to register a few days later & it took my details - but still reportedly failed - The "nag" in the desktop version went away.

I'm still not sure if it's registered\activated, but it works fine - so I don't really care. 8)

If everything is working as it should - why would you consider a return\refund? Confused
Adek
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the desktop PC SmartST to be a little flakey.I have a Pin570, and in the desktop version when I tried to register it kept reporting an error and would not find the PiN. Active Sync worked as I could explore the PiN.

Eventually, I disconnected the PiN, went to the menu on the PC software (retrieve registration) followed some instructions and half way through it asked me to make sure the PiN was attached, I connected the PiN and then followed the rest of the instructions and it completed the registration process. you could try playing about with this.

Also I find that If I start SmartST without the PiN attached and only connect it when the software asks, it finds the unit and the registered maps fine, if the PiN is connected then I start the software 50% of the time it comes up without finding the PDA.

Don't know which unit you have, but this may help.

Adek.
chris123
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strawbs wrote:
If everything is working as it should - why would you consider a return\refund? Confused

Unfortunately I have the PocketPC version of the software, so no activation = no maps - it is not working at all.

Any attempts to install maps or run the PocketPC software fails.

Cheers

Chris
chris123
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adek wrote:
Eventually, I disconnected the PiN, went to the menu on the PC software (retrieve registration) followed some instructions and half way through it asked me to make sure the PiN was attached, I connected the PiN and then followed the rest of the instructions and it completed the registration process. you could try playing about with this.

Don't know which unit you have, but this may help.

Thanks Adek, I'll give that a try.

I emailed Navman tech support a week ago and have received no reply, so I'll try contacting them again.

Cheers

Chris
andyalien
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: SmartST 2005 - won't register? Reply with quote

chris123 wrote:
Hi there,

Juts wondering if any of the people who have reported problems with registering / activating SmartST have been able to resolve them?

I have installed SmartST 2005 desktop on my pc, and the SmartST program has installed onto my PocketPC in the default location.

When I start SmartST desktop, it prompts me to register, then says it cannot connect to the internet. I am running Windows XP Pro with all updates, ActiveSync 3.8 and the latest version of SmartST (according to the Navman website). I can access the internet from my pc and from my PocketPC via Activesync. I have tried disabling my firewall. I am connected to the internet via a broadband ADSL router. Monitoring my ethernet connection (using Ethereal), the SmartST software pings the Navman server once and gets a ping reply from it , after which there is no further network activity.

Failing a solution, has anyone had any success returning the software to Navman for a refund?

Cheers

Chris
Quote:

High chris

I am having the same problems and still have no response from navman.I tried to reinstal my previous software and that would not work either.I rang navman and they said it was my norton firewall, so i de-installed it from my computer,this still didnt work.Iam now pulling my hair out, so i will be looking out at the quotes you receive,

Watching closely andy
andyalien
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: SmartST 2005 - won't register? Reply with quote

chris123 wrote:
Hi there,

Cheers

Chris
Quote:

Hi Chris,
I have now manged to resolve my problem by installing "Active Sync 3.7.1" which came with myoriginal hardware - Pin 300. I then de-installed my Norton Anit-virus and firewall then restarted computer.

I also went into the Control Panel then System then chose the Advance Tab. You then opt for Performance Settings and then select Data Execution Prevention Tab then select "Turn on DEP for essential Windows Programs and Services only" Then press Apply and reboot your computer. This allows access to internet.

Hope this works for you.

Andy
chris123
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: SmartST 2005 - won't register? Reply with quote

andyalien wrote:

Hi Chris,
I have now manged to resolve my problem by installing "Active Sync 3.7.1" which came with myoriginal hardware - Pin 300. I then de-installed my Norton Anit-virus and firewall then restarted computer.

I also went into the Control Panel then System then chose the Advance Tab. You then opt for Performance Settings and then select Data Execution Prevention Tab then select "Turn on DEP for essential Windows Programs and Services only" Then press Apply and reboot your computer. This allows access to internet.

Hope this works for you.

Andy

Cheers Andy, You are a star Thumbs Up

I turned off DEP for the SmartST programs only, ie I added SmartST_desktop.exe, BaseLoader.exe and RegisterProduct.exe to the exclusions list and left all my other security enabled, and it worked (on the third attempt Rolling Eyes ) .

I have now removed them again from the exceptions list. There is a Windows vulnerability 'in the wild' for which the only protection was DEP until Microsoft released a patch:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/advisory/912840.mspx

DEP set to 'essential Windows Programs and Services only' does not protect against this threat.

Cheers

Chris
iesugrist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just bought SmartST and exactly same problems happening Sad Sad I have done the DEP thingies as suggested above, turned off firewall but everytime active synch 'syncs' with the ipaq (6515) the Navman software just vanishes / closes down...

what's going on??? help?!! Sad
Mike_UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I had this problem too with my HP3950 running PPC win2003 updated from win2002 and Navman Jacket 3450. I managed to contact Navaman and the solution for me was as follows. I had to do a hard reset of my PPC and remake the active sync connection then reload the PPC by clicking on the SmartST desktop icon. I was then able to register and load all the maps. I then uploaded to the PPC all the POI's I wanted including the speedcameras. I then reloaded all the software that I had previously had on the PPC. When this was done the PPC and Navman software worked perfectly but would not reregister with the Navman site. Unfortunately I have to do this everytime I want to change or update the POI's. This has all been done with my firewall running(ZoneAlarm) and my antivirus (AVG) and Active sync 3.8
I hope this may help.
michaeljackson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything worked right the first time. Not a single probem occured. So, not sure if its some people incompetency or what.. Just joking.

I am running AVG+firewall, spysweeper etc.

this thing works Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: