Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Globalsat SD-502 SDIO GPS receiver review
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Globalsat SD-502 SDIO GPS receiver review
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed the latest driver, didn't seem to make a lot of improvement.
Backup Time 18:28 min:sec
File Size 158999 KB
Avg Speed 143 KB/Sec
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just had a reply from Globalsat. They are actively working on improving the drivers, but there was no indication of when the next release would be out or which additional devices would be included.
footman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really not sure what to make of this device. Yesterday I drove round the M25 and it took an hour for it to get a fix. On the return journey it fixed within a couple of minutes.
Just put in the latest drivers and its sitting next a window with clear view of the sky and there is absolutely no activity in the way of grayed out sats. GPSinfo shows a data stream.
This is my 2nd device (the 1st was RMA for same). It may be me but Ive been using GPS devices for years and I cant see what Im doing wrong!
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you didn't have a fix before starting your trip then it will take longer as the device is trying to get a fix but your location is continuously changing. Having said that it applies to all not just confined to the SD-502.
Having spent a number of weeks trying to get the SD-502 to work on other peoples PPC's, compatibility has been the big issue, with the GPSDisk card not being detected/seen even though the device driver is correctly installed. Even though the SD-502 has a satellite fix indicated by the flashing green led.
In this situation you can't install the navigation software, hopefully this will eventually get resolved as new/updated drivers are released.
If the SD-502 has a fix, on some of the devices it has been difficult to get the PPC to see the com port the 502 is using.
On my XDA II it is using com port 7 with the SD-502 set as NMEA 0183v2 at 4800, with these settings and the XDA II sat in it's docking cradle connected to the PC on my desk 4 feet from a window with the curtains still closed I have 4 satellites fixed and 3 others visible.
Nokia 925 Windows 8
footman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Communication with my Axim x50v doesnt seem to be the problem. Ive had no trouble in configuring the com port and the storage is seen in file manager. Its just that the device doesnt see any sats.
stevel0923
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: SD-502 Compatibility with Pharos Ostia on Dell Axim X30 Reply with quote

I was talking to the Pharos people about compatibility and they stated that SDIO device needs to occupy com port 6. I was wondering if you can configure the SD-502 to use com port 6 or is it preset at the factory to another port?
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: SD-502 Compatibility with Pharos Ostia on Dell Axim X30 Reply with quote

stevel0923 wrote:
I was talking to the Pharos people about compatibility and they stated that SDIO device needs to occupy com port 6. I was wondering if you can configure the SD-502 to use com port 6 or is it preset at the factory to another port?

If you download Winfast Navigator Here and install it on the PPC, you can then view which ports are available.
The com port used is dependent on you PPC, some are using Com 4, others Com 6, my XDA II uses Com 7.
Nokia 925 Windows 8
bibostefan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello to all,

first i have to say that i´m really sorry about my bad english. I´m from Germany. I bought the GlobalSat SD-502 and now i´m trying to connect it with my T-Moblie MDA Copmact. Its really hard but it dont works. I can´t see the 512mb Memory and i dont now on which Port i have to connect the antenna. The LED lights green but it isn´t flashing. I tried out many Programms (CRUX-View; Navigator; Visual Gpsce; GPSinfo) but no one can manage to find my SD-502. Is it broken - i don´t think so but why isn´t it working? I also have checked if i have the latest driver Version - i have it. So, please help me.

Hopefully
Boris

if there is anyone who understand German - here is the same Text in Deutsch:

Hallo Leute,
ich hoffe, hier ist jemand der mir helfen kann. Bin verzweifelt....
Ich habe mir von GlobalSat die phantastische GPS Antenne SD-502 gekauft. Ich habe den beiliegenden Treiber auf meinem PDA (MDA Compact insatalliert und auch geprüft ob zwischenzeitlich eine aktuellere Version verfügbar ist. Danach steckte ich die Antenne in den SD-Slot. Und siehe da, die LED leuchtete. Gut so, dachte ich mir und installierte die beiliegende Software GPS Info um zu sehen ob die Antenne auch wirklich finktioniert. Jetzt begannen die Probleme!!! Welcher Com-Port muß den eingestellt werden? Ich probierte sie alle - allerdings ohne Ergebniß. Außerdem sollte die Antenne ja auch 512mb Speicherplatz haben. Aber wie kann ich darauf zugreifen? Also kurzum GPSFind und diverse andere Programme (VisualGPSce; CRUX-View) konnten mit meiner neuen Antenne nichts anfangen. Ist das Ding jetzt kaputt? Glaube ich ehrlich gesagt nicht! Ich hoffe, irgend jemad kann mir, der ich nun schon wirklich mehrere Stunde mit der blöden Maschine am probieren war, helfen.
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a problem with the SD-502 and the T-Mobile MDA, nobody has so far managed to get the Compact to see the GPSDisk Card or create the directory.
I have tried for many hours on two of these T-Mobile devices and even though the Device Driver is installing correctly the Device still can't see the SD-502.
Until GlobalSat produce a device driver update to solve this, the SD-502 won't work with the T-Mobile Compact.
Nokia 925 Windows 8
bibostefan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much,

i agree with your post. And now I send this Bullshit back and get me a Bluetooth Mouse. I Hope this will work.

Thank your for your fast reply...
mhowse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acer N30

Yep someone else trying to find out if the 502 SDIO Gps is able to work on a PDA this time it is on my acer n30 .. I have seen from the 501 review that this will work with the acer so does that mean the 502 would also as it would be more practical for my use having the memory for maps

Many Thanks
adami
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: SD-502 on Qtek 9090 Reply with quote

Hi all, Mike,
reading some stories about (non)compatibility of the SD-502, I'd like to ask, doe somebodz have an experience with Qtek9090?
I did not find it on anz list.
Regards
Roman
adami
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: SD-502 on Qtek 9090 Reply with quote

Hi,
I could not stop the shipment any more and received SD-502. How was my surprise discovering it works w/o any problem! (acc. to compatibility list it should not work)
Roman

adami wrote:
Hi all, Mike,
reading some stories about (non)compatibility of the SD-502, I'd like to ask, doe somebodz have an experience with Qtek9090?
I did not find it on anz list.
Regards
Roman
leni
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject: sd502 Reply with quote

I have just bought the sd-502 from globalsat and am using an xda IIi with tomtom navigator 5 and I cant get navigator to recognize the gps. I have good connection with 6 to 8 satellites even in the house but tomtom wont recognize it. I know Mike that you tested this using navigator and found it worked fine..what did you do to get the gps recognized. I have used the other cable NMEA setting in navigator. The sd gps is on com7 calling it com 7: gpsuart.

Any help would be greatly appreciated..this is making my hair go grey!!

Leni
AndyHK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's the SD-502 in the review plugged into the top of a 4700. Can I get it to work - not a risk. OK I'm new to handheld GPS receivers but what am I missing? 2 files to install and then what?

Somebody put me out of my misery, please.

TIA, Andy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: