Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Garmin 2720 - how to update??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Garmin 2720 - how to update??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnCollins
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: New Garmin 2720 - how to update?? Reply with quote

Sorry, I got confused working the search function. I have a new StreetPilot 2720 that came pre-loaded, plug and go. I also loaded the CD and unlocked everything and downloaded a newer map version.

The instructions on updating the unit are not very clear in the manual, however. The only category for destinations in the software are "Waypoints". Will the units take these as my "GoTo" destinations automatically?

I'm a bit afraid to hook the unit up to the computer because the instructions are not very detailed. Dont' want to screw anything up.

Thanks in advance for any help.

John Collins
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you explain what your trying to update

To update the operating software you use webupdater which is automatic once you start it

CoPilot

I keep on learning but they invent new things faster ,How do I keep up ?
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: New Garmin 2720 - how to update?? Reply with quote

JohnCollins wrote:
downloaded a newer map version.

Does the 2720 come with maps on CD then? If so, what version are they?
JohnCollins
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2720 I just bought came with a CD of City Navigator NT North America v7.

When I installed it and went to the Garmin website, I found what I thought was a newer version, and unfortunately, I downloaded and installed it. Now I find out that is v6.9.1, so I will reinstall the v7 that came with the unit.

The unit is preloaded and working fine, however, I just plugged it in and it works fine. What I'm wondering is can I create "Waypoints" in the City Navigator software and transfer these to the unit and have them show up in "My Locations".

The manual really doesn't cover using the CD data with the GPS unit itself. I'm afraid to do anything for fear of goofing up a functioning unit.

John
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnCollins wrote:
The 2720 I just bought came with a CD of City Navigator NT North America v7.

The unit is preloaded and working fine, however, I just plugged it in and it works fine. What I'm wondering is can I create "Waypoints" in the City Navigator software and transfer these to the unit and have them show up in "My Locations".

Ahhh OK, you are in America then. Interesting that you got a Map CD.

Yes, you can create waypoints using Mapsource and upload them to the GPS. (At least, I can with the Quest and other Garmin units I have tried).

You should also be able to create routes on your PC and save them in the GPS for later. Especially useful if you are taking a complex route and want to plan it in advance.

You should be able to get the "Tracks" out of your 2720 too. This will show you where you have been (and when and how fast too).

Oh and Welcome by the way!
JohnCollins
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, folks! I am slowly getting the hang of this. I did transfer waypoints back and forth from the unit with no trouble. Yes, I am in the US, didn't realize the majority of you folks seem to be from the UK.

Turns out the CD that came with my unit was labeled v7, but was 6.8.0. For the US, 6.9.1 is the latest and I have that. Although I am moving waypoints back and forth, I don't know how to upload anything else, but I'm working for now, so I'm fairly happy.

I'm not so happy I cannot find the female receptacle on the back of the 2720 unit to plug the antenna into, however. I am totally perplexed.

Thanks for the welcome!

Cheers,

John Collins,
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, your maps are V7, you got a Mapsource application on the CD (DVD?) of 6.80 and have updated the Mapsource allication (not the maps themselves) to V6.91.

Here is a link to the 2720 updates page.
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cor it gets complicated doesnt it

My 2720 came with city navigator V8 on DVD so until I liberate an external DVD I am unable to try all the gadgetry, but I am still finding all the things that it will do. One of the best is logging where you have been .

I am a member of the FJR club and on lots of weekends we do rides in various parts of the country led by a local rider. Some of the runs are stunning and now I will be able to save them and go back some other time and do it all again.

CoPilot

I keep on learning but they invent new things faster ,How do I keep up ?
JohnCollins
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim, you're right, of course. I now have 6.9.1 on my PC. I'm guessing I do not need to do anything with my unit, MapSource is the application for the PC only, correct?

I'm now happily transferring Waypoints back and forth. You know, I'll be 50 this year, and I'm getting a whole new appreciation for my parents' difficulty with technology. I find I don't learn as fast as I once did.

I guess you don't wake up one morning in your mid-seventies and find your faculties dramatically impaired all of a sudden. It happens day-by-day and it's certainly happening to me Rolling Eyes .

Oh, and I found the darn antenna socket too. Idea

John
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've been loosing my faculties since my early 20s, or was that my follicles?

There may be an update for your 2720, as a firmware release of 4.50 is shown on the update page, with a Jan '06 release. The link to the changes is here.

Personally I always kept my Garmins running the latest software/firmware, even if it was a beta release.
JohnCollins
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Tim! I'll go check it out. I am supposed to get a notice from them if I have an update, but I can't imagine I got a unit deliverd on Jan 13th that has a January update in it.

I appreciate the tip!

John

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: