Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Safety Camera Fees - Details
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Safety Camera Fees - Details
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
(I think that is a phrase favoured by the younger generations. Embarassed )

Respect, Tim. Massiiive. Thumbs Up

Regards,

Bo Peep.
bobbyjo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the announcement to charge for the database i choose to sit back and digest all the postings from everyone and wait for the Pocket GPS team reaction to all the ill feeling.

It took a while but now we have had a second announcment regarding the charge structure and also the incentive packages.

My opinion is "well done to the Pocket GPS team for diffusing a very bad situation"

I am not in favour of the charge but do not object to paying for it, much the same as my shopping at asda. I'd like everything for free!

Good luck!

Matt
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As one who has been critical of the charge, I think it's fair to say that the mods have taken on board the wave of ill-feeling expressed over the past ten days. The model they've now come up with is possibly the best compromise between no charge and their wish to charge for the db.

We should remember that the concern most of us had was not the cost, but the fact that we were being charged after sending in the data that has given PGPSW the great DB it now has. The fact that all of us who have contributed cameras will now receive life membership means that we have not been personally profited from. Any future members will know the ground rules before they contribute and can decide whether they want to make a camera known with the full knowledge that it will cost them to download the db.

I'd say that although I'd rather have left the thing in the hands of more volunteers and kept it free, this is a good compromise and I feel that we have actually been listened to.

Here's to a great 'camera aware' 2006.
Calligrapher
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following is intended to be a constructive criticism of what is a done deed.

I honestly believe that the differential between the monthly charge and the annual fee is too small. A saving of £5 a year (20%ish) is not a strong incentive to take up the 'year in advance' option. I would be sorely tempted to update ONLY when I was going on a longer journey, once or twice a year perhaps.

To have £12 or £15 annual fee in the directors bank account up front would be advantageous to them and a much stronger incentive to the community of members/users to pay this. £4 to £7 extra may not seem much, but it would make a big difference to the sales pitch and, I believe, the take-up of this option.

Thats my opinion for what it's worth.
steveky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mods why don't you just tell them all to pay or take their business elsewhere are you really bothered in keeping the whingers and moaners looking at their joining dates the majority ( and I said majority not all ) are new joiners anyway, tell them to grow up and move on as I for one am sick of listening to them whinge
Steve Laughing
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, as mentioned elsewhere, everyone is entitled to their opinion.. Sure, people will still beef about what has gone on, but bear in mind that people still moan about the reception capabilities of the original Navman sleeve all these years down the line.

Please don't label them as whingers and moaners.
steveky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok accept the slapped wrist and I guess the whole point of a forum is to vent your anger and have open debate so to anyone I may have unjustly labelled a whinger or moaner my humblest apologies, there thats my anger vented for another year
Steve
cherryton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cherryton wrote:
Well I have at last sent in 3 of the 7 odd cameras (fixed and Mobile) that are not on the database.
Scotland does appear to be a bit under-represented at present.

Can you give me a rough idea where these cameras are? I thought that most of the cameras , at least in the South (up as far as Stirling), were recorded.

cherryton wrote:
As a point of interest there are now quite a few Cameras 'up here' that are no longer in operation, but are still on the database (2 on the A92 that I know of at least). How do I go about getting these removed so as to improve the accuracy for everyone.

As has already been suggested, use POICapture, BUT, are these Gatso that have been removed or Mobile Locations where you haven't seen a car/van for a while?

In reply- as you may be aware Central Scotland Police (a & b division - as was) have NO fixed cameras in operation. They use unmarked cars ( C reg SAAB Convertible to name just one...). The other part of their strategy involves 'visible' policing by using their mobile cameras and speed traps. Fair enough as they target well known accident black spots and areas where there is a speed issue.
The two that I have submitted are spots where they are active at least once a week: Location Stiling Road Alloa (3 deaths here over the past 5 years) and the A977 at Forestmill (a car written off here last week at around midnight on a clear sky night - after the 1/2 mile long straight).
There are several other sites that I will be passing and will upload.

In terms of the A92 the Gatso @ McDonalds near the Forfar turnoff has been removed as the speed limit has increased to 70mph following the removal of the interchange roadworks.
There is also a new Gatso further up the A92 that is catching many people out as the only change in the road is to DROP the speed to 50mph (from 70!) due to a spate of recent accidents at a bad junction. Again I will upload this once I'm back in the area.

Hope this helps
PoorStudent
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm, £2 / month doesnt sound too bad...especially if it means i get some tech support about how to install on to my bloody Packard Bell GPS 400 8O !!!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PoorStudent wrote:
Hmmmmm, £2 / month doesnt sound too bad...especially if it means i get some tech support about how to install on to my bloody Packard Bell GPS 400 8O !!!!

What software are you using?
Klanden
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a good workable solution. My main concern was your ability to retain traffic to the website and regular updates to the database after introducing the charge, but hopefully your solution should ensure this.

Can you confirm whether you will include details of how many new camera locations (by region) are included in each monthly download? I know a number of people have asked this question already, but I haven't seen an answer to it yet. Thanks.
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leemcg wrote:
Clearly an edit isn't as valuable as a new camera.

I disagree. Being told that a camera is '@40', when it is actually at '@30', would be almost as bad as not being told that a camera existed. And given that road speeds change, and cameras are often submitted initially with no speed at all, I would have thought this type of change should be encouraged.

I don't think that there should be any disincentive for keeping the database totally accurate and reliable, although shiffting a camera by a yard or two might be a bit petty. Smile

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport
Raify
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I donated £10 about 15 mins before the announcement about charging was posted.

Can I have my first year's membership for £9.00? Wink
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And can I just say thank you to Richard and Darren, for not only making database changes painless and speedy, but also for providing us with a CoPilot5-friendly version (CSV without ':' and '@'). Under the new regime, I'm sure that they will also be providing us with a CoPilot6-friendly version (e.g. OV2's without ':' and '@'). Wink

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport
Buffy Beagle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raify wrote:
I donated £10 about 15 mins before the announcement about charging was posted.

Can I have my first year's membership for £9.00? Wink

.....................................................................................................

Raify, did you not see Darren's response to you about this on another thread? Buffy :0)

"Not at all, when the charging scheme begins we will happily credit you against any donation you have made previously, so if charging begins in Jan we will credit you with 5 months free downloads.

We very much appreciate the donations from the small but significant minority who have done so. Darren. Smile"

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 5 of 44

Jump to: