Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Safety Camera Fees - Details
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Safety Camera Fees - Details
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alistairwat50n
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iankb wrote:
BunnyBallerina wrote:
So what is the incentive for me to post this data? At least under the free model it was for the greater good. But now?

I'm amazed that you overlook the far greater good for all of the subscribers to this database. Whether the forum owners make money out of it or not, it is still us (including you) who get the benefit of users' contributions.

I can understand people wishing to argue over whether the database should be chargeable or not, but it seems very shortsighted and selfish to withhold updates from other users. In practice, a less accurate database is not likely to affect the subscription level that much; unless there is a more accurate and cheaper database available. It could just make you and others more susceptible to being caught on camera. Rolling Eyes

I agree with iankb, the only way we can protect ourselves from the greedy politicians is to work together to keep this and any other database up to date. “All for one, and one for all”
pip510
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question that I hope one of the GPS team can assist with.
I submiited some camera locations in october/november and I have just downloaded the website update for december.
I have seen that one of the camera's has been added but another has not.
I have not had chance to verify the other camera's as yet that I have submitted.
My point is why is one camera added and another is not?
All the camera locations I submitted are true ones and verifiable on South Yorks Police's Website.

Let's Be Safe Out There
soopahfly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first read about the site charging for accessing the database, it made me quite cross, but then after looking at how much TomTom want for their database I thought its not too bad. I didn't like the "Per Download" scheme that was first suggested, but the yearly subscription is much more favourable. Its ~£25 a year just for Inforad updates!
GrimBeard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, just found this little festive surprise.

£2 a go eh, might be worth it if the database was any good. Used in conjunction with a Road Angel, info supplied by big brother, the GPS add-on to CP5 was a good ’extra’. It is not good enough to be charged for. Only a month ago we had SPECS announced along the stretch of the A1 in North Yorkshire, there wasn’t any, they are just traffic cameras.

Also Scamera vans announced at sites used for ANPR surveillance. If you want us to pay you are going to have to make your database more reliable.

I hate PrayPal

Just another cynical money making idea borne out of an idea that used to be free. I know someone has to pay for your bandwidth but it was just so cool, free camera database to go with your navigator.

Oh well, bang goes the monthly updates, nothing lasts forever……………..

Maybe update quarterly, or less.

Cynical HNY

GB
GrimBeard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK where do we go for the free rival database then!!

GB
tomtomgo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Grimbeard you will have to hunt for it. As soon as it is posted it gets deleted.
Now, even i can understand that!!!!.
GrimBeard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got any clues as to where to start, I'll check back every few minutes!!

GB
SafetyEngineer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the fees proposed are reasonable as long as the locations are acurate.

Given the cost of alternative commercial databases the fees are pretty cheap, and acknowledging previous contributers is a good step.

I've only used it a little while but have found it to be a usefull product and worth the fee being charged.

As an aside in the proposed members forum there is a proposed thread "Facts, Opinions, Secrets and Lies? The UK Speed Camera Debate Forum." Paul Smith at Safe Speed has already been running both a website and forum regards this and has made a good work thus far, he has had problems with funding and rather than diluting the good work being done would PGPSW consider a link up with him to present a unified voice ???

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/forum/index.php

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/
GrimBeard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now i understand it, if I'd got my sorry ass into gear and submitted one measly verified camera site, i don't think it did, always too busy!! Then i would have got free lifetime membership!!!!

Nice for those who got it, bloody annoying for those who didn't. Sorry about swearing, ban me if you want, can't hear you pleading with me to stay!!

Rubbish, it's not the money, it's the thought that counts.

Very unhappy GB
tomtomgo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimbeard calm down and check your PM
GrimBeard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK much calmer now, big Bacardi and Coke (a-Cola).

No PM yet but I've replied to the post..............

Heartbeat slowing now.................

GB
tomtomgo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's better, so no private message then?
Perhaps those are not so private after all then eh.
sirusman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom this very much a case of do as i say not as i do,if it hurts them they will delete it
smcaul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read this site often and post little, but, what a complete and utter shambles. How can PGPSW even contemplate making people pay for a database that was kept up to date by peoples good will!!! As far as I can see you should have to scrap the current database, delete all data you hold and then start from scratch compiling it yourself (I know this is not feasible),only then should you be able to charge for it. I wonder how many advertisers you will loose because of this ill thought out idea. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
mbailey3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
the_kick_inside wrote:
Heres the but though, you have sacraficed the view i had of an independant review site - and bear in mind i have bought SATNAV hardware for my firm -as the 'expert' based on your reviews and from your advertisers 9so i have been commericaly valuable to your site)...That will no longer be the case as I must now look upon you as being commercial and therfore no longer being independant...i may buy from your advertisers, but i will be disragarding reviews as a i will have no idea of the 'self interest' involved....

I am not sure that I follow the logic here. I would accept that if we were exclusively sponsored by one of the main GPS companies our independence would be very suspect. The same would apply if the GPS companies were to pay us for reviews. That is not the case.

Each year you visit TOMTOM and they give you pre release information and contact with the developers for future releases. This is fine if you are 100% independent, but now you are a direct business competitor are they really going allow this?

Either the whole site is run as a business or it stays 100% independent. I do not see how it can do both.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 11 of 44

Jump to: