Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - H3970H3975 sd card driver update
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

H3970H3975 sd card driver update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minesapint
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: H3970H3975 sd card driver update Reply with quote

has any one tried the new update for the sd cards

if you have did it oll go ok.

and how did you connect your pda to desktop

usb or serial

thanks.
sitrap
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: H3970H3975 sd card driver update Reply with quote

Yes, just tried it. Fantastic increase in speed for Tomtom Nav2 address searches. About time! I hope it fixes the frequent lock-ups when the SD card dissappears. I should know by this time tomorrow, I normally have 1 or 2 a day.
minesapint
Occasional Visitor

sitrap, how did you connect your pda to your desktop was it by usb or serial,

when you did the update.

only some people say when thay did the rom update

you should only use the serial cable.

my one is by usb.

thanks
musika
Occasional Visitor

Just did mine tonight via usb. All went well but you must follow the instructions to the letter i.e. IGNORE the error message. Don't be tempted to click O.K.

It says it is a bluetooth update for 3900, which confused me at first. But everything seems to be ok although I haven't tested tomtom yet as I movrd my maps to CF.

m.
sitrap
Lifetime Member

I used USB, as musika says, follow the instructions to the letter, it could be very tempting to OK the error message. I'm glad they didn't wait to fix that little bug, I've been desperate for this patch, I don't care about silly little error messages. Doesn't look very proffessional though.
minesapint
Occasional Visitor

thanks

just did the up date, np

like you said the speed increase is great

from 1 min 40 sec down to 18 sec.

on one 127 mile route

DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

To clear up a couple of questions raised here and elsewhere around the forums:

I wouldn't worry too much about serial versus USB. It's an eXecute In Place (XIP) update, very much like EUU3. That means that it puts the .XIP file on the Pocket PC before offering to execute it. Once you've got to that point, connectivity via ActiveSync should no longer be an issue as all the information needed is already on the Pocket PC.

Somewhere else (probably in the something like four threads that have been started on this in the TomTom Navigator 2 forum!), someone was asking if it survives a hard reset. The answer is - yes, it does, though it will no longer show in the program listing on the Pocket PC (in ActiveSync's Add/Remove program screen, or in Remove Programs on the Pocket PC).

The update permanently changes the ROM on the iPAQ. The only way to wipe it is to carry out a ROM upgrade (if you 'upgraded' with a virgin copy of 2.10, you'd remove the update).

Using a third party file explorer tool (I used Resco Explorer 2003, configured to show all files) you can check the upgrade is applied. In the \Windows folder, there's three files that should now be showing a June 2003 date, and are in ROM - they're SDBusDriver.dll, sdiohcdrv.dll and SDMemory.dll. You can't see these files with the built in File Explorer.

One final warning - on my machine, once I'd answered yes to the first question (that warned me that I'd permanently change the ROM), my iPAQ soft reset then appeared to hang at the Owner Information screen (which wasn't fully painted - just the text was shown and not the blue banner graphic).

I was a little concerned, as I have a third party password manager, Nice Start, installed. However, I guessed that the update would probably run just fine - and if it didn't, I wanted to be sure it hadn't started before wresting back control of my iPAQ with the reset button.

About three minutes later, I heard and saw the iPAQ soft reset. At that point, it returned to its previous state - so I just left it even though I knew from experience of applying EUU3 to the 2.00 ROM that that was probably the end of the upgrade. Ten minutes later, with no further activity, I soft reset again, and I was back in business with the update applied.

If, like me, you have the Owner Information screen configured to show at switch on, you may not see anything happening during the upgrade. Do not be tempted to soft reset the iPAQ during this period - if you interrupt the update as it's happening, at best you may be able to reprogram the ROM using the full ROM updater, though it's more likely you'll have to send the iPAQ for repair. If you think nothing is happening, leave it at least ten minutes to be sure.

The error - if you did see it - is probably that something internal to Windows CE decides to 'sulk' during the XIP operation. It's probably not something that is fixable.

Finally - the person who was a little confused by it seemingly being a Bluetooth update - that's marking the difference between the update for the Bluetooth models and the non-Bluetooth models. The non-Bluetooth 3950 and 3955 have a different version of this update.

David
nicgrant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I download this urgrade, please??
nicgrant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I "downgraded" my BIOS from 2.1 to 2.00 - should I upgrade my BIOS to 2.2(?) before loading thje SD upgrade??
Thanks
Nick

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: