Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Camera Database to Turn Professional
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Camera Database to Turn Professional
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 58, 59, 60  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rolfd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ernieb wrote:
Hi,

However very important to me is the ease by which I update my system using POIEDIT. This must be kept, or a replacement software program be included as part of the deal.

I have given money to both sites (pocket GPS and POI) to help with 'costs' but would not be keen to be charged and expected to make additional donations.

ErnieB

Fair point, and just to add to it. If this is going to be a prefessional outfit, will there be a version of POI edit for Garmin units so we can pay and contribute? Is it even possible to make one for the Garmin. Or will the database and software be nearly exclusive to the TomTom users?
Aus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought, if we back pedal a bit, what about tackling the effort involved in updating/maintaining/verifying/hosting/publishing.

I'm sure there would be plenty of ppl willing to help in some way if its the only way to keep this fantastic resource free.
Bigstoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if pocketgpsworld registers with paypal as a business account, you are automatically able to receive credit/debit card payments! even if the payer doesnt have a paypal account. just thought you would like to know that ;)
vaioable
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not object to paying for the database but would like to see one additon to the file.

A readme of all of the updates contained within the Database.a changes.log. BBC london reported last week that the govenment was now limiting the number of new cameras beeing approved.
So how long before we are paying for the same Database each month and not knowing.
I also would like the ability to pay an annual fee. This surely would be the better option for you as well. Not only do you get a big influx of cash at the start so you can invest this, but as one other reader suggested. When it becomes availabe via "other means" then you have already had the money.
Remember that as soon as you start charging for software it starts appearing on P2P and the like. Fact of life really.
h5djr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently use Destinator PN. If someone was able to provide a copy of the Speed Camera database that would load and work with Destinator PN without all the fiddling around that has to be done at the moment I would gladly pay £2.00 per download.

TomTom XL + Audi A3 (with navigation)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rolfd wrote:
Fair point, and just to add to it. If this is going to be a prefessional outfit, will there be a version of POI edit for Garmin units so we can pay and contribute? Is it even possible to make one for the Garmin. Or will the database and software be nearly exclusive to the TomTom users?

We're hostage to the manufacturers here, if Garmin release an SDK then it's possible.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

h5djr wrote:
I currently use Destinator PN. If someone was able to provide a copy of the Speed Camera database that would load and work with Destinator PN without all the fiddling around that has to be done at the moment I would gladly pay £2.00 per download.

Which is one of the things we will be doing.
Andycambs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And for those people who send you the camera data - are they getting a reduction in the download charges for providing the information?
trout
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it had to come £20 per year seems fair , and my recent experience with AA Speedcare whose cameras are not up to date will keep me with PGWF .
But is this the thin end of the wedge what next sponsered pop ups
for motorway service areas?
jeffcooper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Fair Payment ? Reply with quote

Just a quick point - if you say £2 a month, if you multiply that by 12, and then multiply that by 5000 say (the users of the system?) thats £120,000 in total - I would suspect thats being conservative? - so how much do you have to pay someone to do this work of yours - cause I'll do it for that much or even less!!

PS Since I've added some 4 bit icons, would I get a discount?
james_uk9
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many times has this been said on these forums by moderators here?

"The Camera database IS and will ALWAYS remain FREE"

I have spent many hours in the past four weeks capturing cameras on my GO and updating you with correct speed info etc!
I was inspired to do this (and probably many other members here) by the fact that the database was free and i wanted to contribute in some way.

You can rest assured that this will cease and POI capture will be removed from my go.

I see this as nothing more than sheer greed, wanting to profit from the work and time of others that was provided free. I give you this much tho, It was a smart move to shaft members just as gps navigation is becoming mainstream and this site stands to make a huge revenue by charging.

It is total hypocrasy to bleat about people selling the database on ebay and then announce you will also be charging for it.

This all smacks of "robbery without violence" to me and I would rather pay tomtom more money than yoursleves are charging, at least they were upfront about their intention to rob people from day 1.
andrewh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a sad day. I do not use the speedcamera datasbe often as I only come to the UK a few times a year. I might pay per visit (cheap compared to the channel tunnel :o ) but I think this will be the begining of the end for this site.

Many sites on the internet, especially news, have gone to a paid model and have succeeded or failed, not on the price, but on the perceived extra value they offer. Through my work I subscribe to a high cost but superb news and information site that subscribes to thousands of publications. It really adds value to my work.

As GPS navigation rapidly becomes mainstream there will inevitably be an explosion of added value services on offer. I do not think an "amateur built" speed camera database will have much perceived value in a year or so from now. People will expect full traffic information, with TMC and telematics links to their cars. They will pay an annual fee to one company to talk with their car. Those service providers will then buy the necessary services from third parties.

A paid for speed camera database will be too little on its own.

I really hope I am wrong and that this site thrives and prospers but I think it has to either do much more or stay amateur.
SimonB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James_uk9 - aren't your comments a little harsh.

At the end of the day, people provide assistance is keeping the database upto-date. But that doesn't contribute to the day-to-day running/hosting/hardware/software/bandwidth costs that I know PocketGPS will be incurring.

You would still be contributing if you were to continue using the database - by helping yourself and others.

Be realistic, people selling the database on Ebay is 100% different to what PocketGPS are doing.

Simon
--
JonnyW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say the POI Capture system is excellent and I use the PGPSW Database with TomTom EVERYTIME I get in the car.

However, one point when relating to the pending charge.

Quote:
"The only problem I had was not being able to find any new speed cameras on the run home 330 miles (ish) and every camera I passed was spot on which also speaks highly of the quality data the site provides

In my post:
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=174336#174336[
I discussed a worry that I have of how easy it is to have data REMOVED from the database without checking. On a REGULAR basis, I have to re-submit cameras which have been in place for more that 3 or 4 years. These are being removed on a single persons (and I seriously think the person(s) are police! Evil or Very Mad ) request.

Some of these Gatsos are in prime locations to catch unaware motorists and driving this route every day, twice a day, I don't rely entirely on the Database. I have extra categories (Gatso(New) and Mobile(New)) and I add my entries to these from the PocketGPSCameras POI file.

I feel charging for a database that can easily be tampered with is not worth the money you're asking. You would need to apply some safety procedures before you could fairly justify charging for the file(s) or somebody else will setup a similar service for FREE (just as you did originally) and make sure the databases are 110% reliable.

Ideally, you need to have araound 2 or 3 requests from DIFFERENT people before a camera is removed.
pagla
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is ironic that you have decided to turn "Professional" at the very time when the Government has said it will discourage growth in speed cameras.
So need to update current database will be less than before.

To me your service has ALWAYS been Professional BUT Free
Best of luck in whatever you decide to do

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Page 3 of 60

Jump to: