Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Seidio G4500 Mount for iPAQ 6515 review
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Seidio G4500 Mount for iPAQ 6515 review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Seidio G4500 Mount for iPAQ 6515 review Reply with quote

We were able to show two new Seidio mounts at the Basingstoke event (the G4500 and the G4850), and they drew a lot of interest from the crowd. Our user Paul Driver liked the G4500 so much he was actually willing to write a review of the mount.

Unlike many PDA car mount systems, the Seidio G4500 also features an in-car microphone together with amplified loudspeaker. Altogether, this makes the unit not only a robust and sturdy mount for your PDA, but also a full blown hands-free car-kit for your cell phone.

Read the full review here

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
gamichea
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDF manual here .
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to say that I use their vent mount with a G2500, and I find that much better than the screen mount. I have such a raked-back windscreen on my BMW coupe, that the screen mount would have to go far too high up.

Unlike my previous SilverShield mount, the Seidio vent mount has a third leg for stability and that, together with the swivel mount, allows me to get a perfectly-steady, non-reflective angle.

The vent mount is also a little less obvious to a passing smash and grab artist.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport
gamichea
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I'm having a hard time finding an amplified custom mount for an Axim 51v the 4500 is of great interest.

However, the number of bad experiences (both product and customer service related) I have found reported on this site and others for the 4500's older brother, the 2500, makes me very wary. Sad

Is there any evidence the 2500 has been improved during its short life and does the 4500 appear to be a higher quality product? Seidio's own feature comparison chart shows up only minor differences between the 4500 derivatives and their 2500 brothers. So what is the purpose of the 4500; is it simply a higher quality replacement for the 2500?

I'm beginning to wonder if I shall have to go with an unamplified active mount in conjuction with a separate speaker as used in hands-free kits.

All feed back very welcome.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had worked with Seidio to impove the 2500 - fix some speaker issues, add the warning sticker. So yes, the 2500 has improved over its lifecycle.

The 4800 is just a derivate of the 4850 (that one has an integrated GPS, and we'll have a review up later). The 4800 benefits from some design changes, namely bringing the speaker to the front (again something I suggested to Seidio).

Overall I believe Seidio are improving, and you should consider them again. Powered slide-in mounts are the ultimate solution IMHO.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I saw references to the 2500 getting hot, mine runs totally cool. I only power the PDA with mine, not the Bluetooth GPS unit.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport
burdell1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to tonality, is the speaker in the 4500 better than the 2500? My 2500 sounds very muffled (clock radio quality.)
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, the speaker on the 4800 sounds a lot better. It's not a GO sound, but definitely better than a "Clock radio"

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
burdell1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is Go sound? Do you mean like the TomTom GO? how good of sound is that one?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, the GO has a speaker that is far superior to anything else on the market. You should really go into a shop and try that one out.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
gamichea
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
I had worked with Seidio to impove the 2500 - fix some speaker issues, add the warning sticker. So yes, the 2500 has improved over its lifecycle.

The 4800 is just a derivate of the 4850 (that one has an integrated GPS, and we'll have a review up later). The 4800 benefits from some design changes, namely bringing the speaker to the front (again something I suggested to Seidio).

Overall I believe Seidio are improving, and you should consider them again. Powered slide-in mounts are the ultimate solution IMHO.

Thanks, Lutz, thats encouraging, and I agree with you about powered slide-in mounts being the ultimate solution.

This thread from aximsite is also very encouraging. The initiator has been through the 2500 travails and come out the other side with a solution so his views and assessment of the non-GPS aspects of the 4850 are particularly interesting.[/url]
burdell1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if they are coming out with one for the 4155 (or the 1950)? also, does the power cord for the G2500 work with this one? I want to hard wire my current one...
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, and yes. You can send a mail to Seidio to ask about the release dates for the mounts for the machines you mentioned.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
burdell1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contacted Seidio and they said that they would not be making a cradle for the G6500. I tried asking them about the 1955 (which is a newer model so I thought they would be more likely to do it, but I haven't heard back from them.) I hope they do cause the speaker in my G2500 is getting worse......
burdell1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe people should contact them to convice them to not forget about other older models (and current models such as the 1955.)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: