Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom Rider & Autocom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom Rider & Autocom
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Footy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom Rider & Autocom Reply with quote

Hi there
I'm new to all this and want to fit a gps system to my Honda Pan European. I found your website, and I'm even more confused!
I'm comparing Tom Tom Rider and the Quest 2 systems,drawn to the screen size of the Rider but not sure about this bluetooth thing.
My bike has Autocom pro 7 fitted and the Quest 2 I believe can be routed through so no prbs hearing voice commands.
Do I have to shove a blue tooth earpiece into my already snug helmet or can you connect the Rider through the Autocom? I have been using a borrowed TomTom 300 and found it very easy to use in the car. How does the Quest 2 compare? Sorry to be so long winded.
Regards Steve
MikeOnABike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve.

Your autocom should take input from either of those GPS systems. I'm not aware of a bluetooth solution from autocom to your earpiece so you'd have to use wires but hopefully someone can correct me.

I read Ride or Bike magazine recently and I believe one of the writers was complaining that his tomtom/autocom does not route voice prompts for some reason. So try before you buy.
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I beleive reading somewhere else that Autocom are checking out the Rider to see how connections can be done . I had waited all summer for the Rider but when they decided that it would only come with UK maps and Europe would be extra I have opted for a Garmin it will also be easier to connect to my Autocom system on my FJR . I have gone for the 2720 as it has a touch screen its pricey but am through work buying from aspidcom in Portugal VAT free makes it viable for me and the 2720 can use the speed camera database from here

CoPilot

I keep on learning but they invent new things faster ,How do I keep up ?
Footy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for your input,
I to have thought about having to spend another £89.00 for the europe maping for the Ride, on top of the £545.00 (best price so far) the Rider cost's.
I know that Autocom do all the leads ect for the Garmin so I shall continue to ponder. I would love to try before buying but not sure who would offer that service.
Thanks Steve
Jelster
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, a mate of mine has a Quest on his 'Busa and it works very well through his Autocom. I would have gone that route myself but the original Quest doesn't have an audio warning for the speed cameras. The Quest II does, and so is a much better proposition.

Personally, I think the TT "Rider" is a bit pricey for what it is, especially with that "driven" mode thing (or whatever it's called).

tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my latest toy has just arrived a garmin 2720. I chose this over the quest cos its got touch screen, speed camera alerts and even text to speech which I am hoping will mean that it shouts in my ear that there is a burger king just up the road
So tonight will be" oh why did they do that and oh god thats good" and various other expletives while i get used to another style of interface

I will let you know how I get on

CoPilot

Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomthompson wrote:
Well my latest toy has just arrived a garmin 2720.

You lucky man! :D

Let us know how you think it compares with TomTom and other systems...
Keba
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still waiting on Autocom to finish coming up with a solution to the Autocom <-> Rider interface - was hoping to hear back from this week (been on holiday), but no emails, so I'll post when I hear something next week from them.
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a chance to use the Garmin 2720 albeit in the car so far(until I get the mount sorted for the bike) The difference to tomtom is amazing ,some of it good some not so good. The 2720 has a startup screen and then a screen where you have to agree every time it starts that you wont use it in a way to compromise your driving,the only problem with this is by the time the agree button comes up your already on the move.
On the up side the voice prompts far surpass tomtom to be told "at the roundabout take 2nd exit to Tebourba Way" is so much better.
The map display will take a bit of getting used to but the zoom as you come up to the next turn is so smooth at first you dont realise its happening.
So far I am more than pleased with the change and the 2720 has a robust feel about it that will be ideal on the bike .Unfortunately the bike mount is a xmas present so I will have to wait to try it on the bike but that will give me time to try out the PocketGPS speed camera database on it with the proximity alarms which is one of my main criteria for navigation ,mainly because my mileage on bike and car totals about 30000 miles a year.
More to follow :-
CoPilot

Keba
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, got a message back from Autocom.

My previous experience of them being very helpful is going downhill at a large rate of knots - I asked a simple question (is the Rider compatible with the Nokia Car Kit) and got a non-answer.

I did however get told that the 'solution' to getting the Rider hooked up to a Autocom will happen, but that the part won't be available for retail till sometime in February 8O

I'm beginning to think that I should just buy an Autocom, get it installed and then mangle my own cable out of the earpiece cable that comes with the Rider in the first place, and just put up with the battery life of the bluetooth dongle.

Rolling Eyes
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the ideas I had when I was looking at buying the Rider was that I would put the bluetooth headset unit next to the autocom and put a cable from the bluetooth to the autocom and then still use the standard autocom headset . I wasnt able to try it out and decided instead to go for the garmin 2720 which connects easily to my autocom .
Might be worth a try

CoPilot

KnightOwl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keba wrote:
I'm beginning to think that I should just buy an Autocom, get it installed and then mangle my own cable out of the earpiece cable that comes with the Rider in the first place, and just put up with the battery life of the bluetooth dongle.

Did you manage to do this?

If you did could you let me know how you got on?

Regards,

KnightOwl
Keba
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KnightOwl wrote:
Did you manage to do this?

If you did could you let me know how you got on?

Regards,

KnightOwl

Actually, I've gotten a tad annoyed at Autocom sales - they were deliberatly ignoring my questions about the Nokia Bluetooth kit they sell, and after 7 or so times of asking the same question, finally got told that they haven't actually tested it.

Starcom1 on the other hand have said that their bluetooth module 'should' work (they haven't got a Rider to test with though - yet.) I'm seriously heading in Starcom1's direction for two reasons.

They are cheaper than Autocom and get similar reviews (i.e. people like both Autocom and Starcom1)

Their powered bluetooth option is tiny. I'm told the Nokia kit is actually rather bulky and not suited for bikes at all.

The Starcom1 Advance is tiny as well - much more so than the Autocom systems. Starcom1 also explain how they did their comparision tests of their equipment and 'a competitors system' - Autocom balatantly say theirs is better than Starcom1's, but don't detail how they did their tests and by the sounds of it deliberatly went out of their way to make it sound worse than it does. Nose out of joint anyone? ;)

In the end though, Autocom have a good system by all accounts, and Starcom1 have something that should be just as good. Autocom are a home grown company vs Techstar (who do Starcom1) who have quite a detailed electronics history - which would explain why Starcom1 has a sensible bluetooth option and why their main unit is so much smaller as well.

I think the biggest issue for me is getting a kit installed though - the place that I'm going to try out for my next service isn't back from holidays till tomorrow, at which time I'll be ringing them up and seeing if they will install a Starcom1 system for me.

More news later once I've figured out which system I will end up going with and when it gets installed etc... Hopefully I won't have to end up buying both systems just to get peace of mind!
KnightOwl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keba wrote:
Actually, I've gotten a tad annoyed at Autocom sales - they were deliberately ignoring my questions about the Nokia Bluetooth kit they sell, and after 7 or so times of asking the same question, finally got told that they haven't actually tested it.

I don't know about the normal Nokia Bluetooth but the picture of the one I saw with the Nokia 6230i I bought has a screen and looks rather jazzy and not waterproof. So I doubt it will work on a bike. Sad

I do have an Autocom installed on my FJR and from my usage of it I can say that above 50 it is hard to hear even with all the volumes turned up and too loud when stopped. Even with the volume switch installed. The mic picks up noise at high speeds and the boom mic breaks when used with a flip top helmet.

So all in all I am not 100% happy with the Autocom, but I am stuck with it.

The RIDER wires are flimsy, the mic is hard to position with a flip top helmet but I can hear it at most speeds, alas the people in a call can't hear me above 30.

When I first got the Autocom people could hear me at most speeds clearly, but as I have already said that above 50 it was hard to hear them. Sad

Keba wrote:
They are cheaper than Autocom and get similar reviews (i.e. people like both Autocom and Starcom1)

I did look at Starcom some time ago, but their Bluetooth unit was unavailable. What does concern me is that Nokia will only allow one connection at a time on Bluetooth an by getting a Bluetooth unit for the phone I risk losing the RIDER connection to the phone.

What I can not understand also is that the plug which goes into the RIDER unit is a 2.5mm normal jack plug with 4 connections. Yet the Autocom wire for the phone is only 3 connections on the same 2.5mm jack. When plugging the Autocom into the RIDER Bluetooth unit I can hear a click but no audio and there is no sound heard from me. So I doubt that even with an adaptor lead everything will work.

The number of connections do make sense though because the RIDER has one mic and one ear piece so a + & - for both circuits, however the Autocom is stereo so two +'s with a common - should be used in this system. However how it gets audio and speach from the Nokia connector to the Autocom is beyond my electronic understanding. Sad

Please do let me know how you get on with your venture; if the mods are unhappy with the report via the forum then PM me and I’ll give you my email address. I would love to get a solution before 4th Feb as I am planning a trip to Portugal on my FJR and was hoping to have some music enroute with my RIDER.

Regards,

KnightOwl
Bruggen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Autocom finally came up with a solution for RIDER connection, but here's the stitch up. You gotta buy a new system complete because it connects via a 4 pole 3.5 mm jack as used on the new system only. The old system uses 3 pole. This in spite of my many calls to Autocom who promisd me a solution in the knowledge that I didn't have the new system because it's only just been released. Autocom have lost my future business I'm afraid as I'm very disappointed with their attitude.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: