Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TMC for a new Passat in the UK
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TMC for a new Passat in the UK
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blixton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: TMC for a new Passat in the UK Reply with quote

Hi

I have a new (Nov 2005) Passat with built-in RNS MFD DVD satnav. It has the TMC functions built-in and I know that it works because I was in Holland & Belgium last week and it worked perfectly.

However it doesn't work in the UK. It doesn't seem to be able to find a TMC station even though it is set to TMC Automatic.

Can this work in the UK on my car? Is there anything I need to do to enable it?

I've read some posts implying that I need both a TMC receiver and a TMC disc. I'm assuming I already have both of these as it works in Europe.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.....

Many thanks.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: TMC for a new Passat in the UK Reply with quote

blixton wrote:
I've read some posts implying that I need both a TMC receiver and a TMC disc. I'm assuming I already have both of these as it works in Europe.
You might not have a TMC disk! Because the TMC signal is sent for free in countries like Holland, they could install those files on the DVD without charge, and hence include them on all DVDs.

However, in the UK, there is a charge, and hence they produce 2 DVDs, 1 with UK TMC and 1 without UK TMC. It's possible the UK non-TMC DVD still has the free TMC codes for other countries.

As such, I would not assume you have a TMC disk - I would check the part number against the mapping data provider's website to confirm whether or not they think that DVD is a UK TMC DVD before assuming something else is wrong.
blixton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

I've spoken to someone at NavShop and he told me that the disc will have the TMC codes for Europe (as they're free) which explains why it worked fine in Holland and Belgium.

However because TMC is not free in the UK there are licensing issues with putting the TMC codes on the DVD. The data has been supplied to VW (and loads of other people) but my local VW dealer has no idea when / if VW will supply a UK TMC enabled DVD.

Fortunately NavShop plan on selling one early next year so I guess I'll have to wait until then.
Athanor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have exactly the same thing - new build Passat with the DVD based GPS. I'm dead cheesed off as after apeaking to the dealer they mentioned the GPS featured TMC (during a conversation around why should I pay £2k for the VW GPS rather than £400 for Tom Tom Go).

Of course TMC does indeed work - they just neglected to mention it works everywhere apart from the UK.... Sad

Not happy and no way to prove the conversation ever happened..
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's any consolation I have a similar problem - the SatNav system in my car has the hardware and software all in place to support TMC, but the manufacturer has not setup the license with iTIS or TM and hence cannot supply the TMC codes on their proprietary SatNav CD.

However, as they have never mentioned it, nor claim it is there, I just have to wait until such time that they do sign a deal to provide the data to me.

I at least was aware of this when I bought the car, as opposed to being misled / badly informed by my dealer.
blixton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NavShop sell CDs (DVDs too) with UK TMC codes on them. When I spoke to them last month they said that they planned on selling one suitable for the RNS MFD DVD sat-nav in my Passat (2005) early this year. We'll see...

I'm sure if they do sell one it will be a long long time before VW get around to selling them. So if you're prepared to pay a bit you should be able to get TMC early this year.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blixton wrote:
NavShop sell CDs (DVDs too) with UK TMC codes on them. When I spoke to them last month they said that they planned on selling one suitable for the RNS MFD DVD sat-nav in my Passat (2005) early this year.
They are simply selling the CD / DVD that has been jointly produced between them and the manufacturer (if TeleAtlas are anything like Navteq), so it should be available from the manufacturer at the same time (although the dealer may not be aware of it, which might make it quicker to order through Navshop)
Athanor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any update on TMC in VWs yet from anywhere all?
swlawson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - I emailed Navshop (Teleatlas's web shop) at the end of Janaury asking for details of the navigation DVD suitable for VWs. They emailed a spec. sheet which mentioned TMC and gave a list of countries which didn't include the UK (the cost of the latest DVD is £179 + shipping). When I queried it with them I got this reply:

Dear Mr. Lawson,

Thank you for your interest in Tele Atlas products.

I am afraid you are correct about the missing tmc function for the UK, I hadn't
realised that. Unfortunately, a Tmc supported dvd is not available now and a
release date not given. Please continue to visit our website www.navshop.com on
a regular basis to be informed when it is released. My apologies that this is
all I can offer you at the moment.

In case you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to
contact us.

Kind regards,

Martijn ter Balkt
Customer Care

Phone: 0208-230 31 88
Fax: 0208-230 31 91
E-mail : navshop@teleatlas.com
Athanor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone heard an update to this yet?

I checked in with the dealer who hadn't got the foggiest what i was talking about Confused
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athanor wrote:
Anyone heard an update to this yet?
Certainly the latest DVD from VW still doesn't have the data on it, and neither does the latest Blaupunkt generic DVD. It seems a backward step, given the CD based unit had the UK TMC files and license.
Athanor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All seems rather pants for a GPS system you get charged the best part of £2000 for Sad

I feel a letter to VW coming on Smile
gray52
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the new honda civic has this function and ive seen it working in the uk, dealer showed me it. there satnav includes full bluetooth and tmc and is all included on the ex spec (mine) and works out at £1200 not bad.

i would get vw to sort u out some compensation as 2k for something that only works in europe is a joke.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with asking for compensation is that they don't advertise it with TMC capability, so they have delivered the car as per the brochure - the fact you can get "extra bits" in other countries is not the point.

It's unfair, but that's how it goes Sad
gray52
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seams they have covered there arses by not mentioning it.
i had to ask when it was mentioned in the honda if it was free and told it was totally free, so honda my have struck a deal with tmc as i dont know of any other car maker that offers this for free?

you have 1 option left, buy a honda Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: