Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS for mountain biking and car Navigatio
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS for mountain biking and car Navigatio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jellied
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: GPS for mountain biking and car Navigatio Reply with quote

I agree with Darren - but a lot depends on what sort of biking you plan. If it is really rugged stuff then probably the best solution is to get a rugged GPS (Garmin etc) and then attach the PDA every so often to see where you are.
TimB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: GPS for mountain biking and car Navigatio Reply with quote

I ordered an Otterbox today from Memory Map (the 2600 with a 1000 box included for £50) I decided the new 3600 fancy box at about £90 was pushing it a bit!

Anyway i also ordered their bike bracket which they say will stick to the back of the otterbox. Anyone tried this? I shall let you know what I think of it but for £10 I thought it worth the try.

Memory map seemed reluctant to sell me the screen cover for the otterbox which is tailor made to suit the front of an Ipaq 3790. Said the standard package which I presume is the universal screen cover was fine!

In the end they agreed to order it in for me which will take three weeks (?) and post it separately.

Anyone with any experience of both?

Tim B

Iancutler
Occasional Visitor

I have read a lot of the reviews on the site but am still having trouble.

Basically I am looking for a gps system to use mountian biking and in car for navigation.

Looking as though I will go with some sort of PDA kit nut can't seem to see the woods from the trees as to which one would suit both needs.

Can anyone help?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

Your requirements would be best suited by a decent handheld GPS for the MTB and a PDA with Nav Software. TomTom Navigator software gives the best solution in my opinion allowing use of an external GPS to drive the software on the PDA, other software solutions are locked to their software.

The other possible alternative is a PDA based system with a BlueTooth GPS Receiver. The PDA could then be secured in an Otterbox case to protect against shock and the elements and you could then use apps like Memory Map when on the bike to record and map trails etc. See here.
Iancutler
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the advice, I am hoping to get 1 solution for both car and bike (no really mad biking).

I think the idea of bluetooth PDA sounds good, are IPAQ's the best buy PDA or could I get away with a cheaper model (I like the idea of having voice navigation)?

is tom tom the best car nav software ?

Has anyone had any experience with using a PDA for moutain biking? The reviews on the software seem to suggest that their is not much between Memory Map and the others?
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

Ian,

If you are not intending to do mad biking and will not be in serious danger of getting the ipaq soiled then I would suggest a 3970 with BT GPS and a RAM u-bolt mount for the bike.

Alternatly if you dont need to mount the PDA then you could get a newer 2210 which has both SD and CF slots.

I use the 5450 and Emtac on my mountain bike combined with a very cheap weather proofing solution: a plastic bag. Why not it works!!

I use both Memory-Map and Fugawi for the Topo mapping. Both are good and have 1:50,000 OS maps.
Asahi
Occasional Visitor

I am looking to do some trail mapping and was hoping for some input on the handheld GPS units. Maps on the GPS itself are not a huge concern. Location accuracy is. I was looking at the Garmin Extrex Vista but need some input into quality and reciever strength.

I am looking to stay around $250 USD total to a PDA plus GSP is above my budget. Is there anything that woudl be better than the Garmin?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: