Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ST2005 routing improvements?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ST2005 routing improvements?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: ST2005 routing improvements? Reply with quote

There are a couple of threads about the map updates (or lack thereof), but I haven't seen any useful comments about the software performance compared with V3.

I get rather annoyued with the V3 routing algorithm, which seems to arbitrarily designate certain stretches of road as avoid areas. Bizzarely, reloading the speed camera database can also change the routes chosen by V3.

So does ST 2005 have better routing?

Is the address search faster?
highroyds
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: ST2005 routing improvements? Reply with quote

JaguarV12e wrote:
There are a couple of threads about the map updates (or lack thereof), but I haven't seen any useful comments about the software performance compared with V3.

I get rather annoyued with the V3 routing algorithm, which seems to arbitrarily designate certain stretches of road as avoid areas. Bizzarely, reloading the speed camera database can also change the routes chosen by V3.

So does ST 2005 have better routing?

Is the address search faster?

Well since I installed the new SmartST2005 onto the ICN610 it has made the menu system alot faster in working. Not too sure about the routes yet. But since the maps came out and the chat I had with Navman Support, I've decided to sell my Navman for another router, which I know gets more updates on time and more regular, as Navman have told me the next updates will be next year approx: Nov 2006
Andycambs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the address searcher is better.
It shows each stage of the search in a summary at the top of the screen as each is selected:
Country;
Postcode area
County
Road
House number
Once you click on ok - you have the option to display the area on a map - save the destination, or go to the destination.
It's best to play around with the route selections - certainly one trip suggested a massive detour to keep to motorways rather than standard roads, which would have taken much longer. The only suggestion is to try various routes on a variety of settings until you find the optimum for your selection.
Ok - the maps are not bang upto date - but this is always going to be the problem with an incar navigator. Even Google Earth which uses TeleAtlas 2005 has Wisbech slap in the middle of Crowland - and this is supposed to be the uptodate version.
I've been happy with the Navman 610 (although I think the 510 - the latest version is much more advanced, but newer versions generally are better...)
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the upgrade and maps. Comments so far:

The installer crashes on my PC if you answer yers to the question "did you get new maps with the upgrade". Simple workaround is to answer no and then install the new maps later.

The desktop application is still an awful piece of software, still woefully slow and non-intuitive, fonts still not rendered properly. Makes me ashamed of New Zealand software.

The destination preview screen is a nice idea, but useless, as you can't actually adjust the destination in that window (or have I missed something?)

I have not driven enough yet to comment on the routing algorithms.

There have been lots of comments about the new maps being out of date (and the 3 year old street where I live is missing), but the Baldock bypass is included, and it does not open for a few months yet!
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarV12e wrote:

The destination preview screen is a nice idea, but useless, as you can't actually adjust the destination in that window (or have I missed something?)

Yes, you are missing something. When you see the destination preview screen, you can select it by using the curson key, 'Up', I think. If you then press OK then that screen will become fullscreen and you can then use the cursor pad to move the crosshairs around to 'fine tune' your destination.
Andycambs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed - you can "fine tune" the destination in the preview screen.
I've done this when I know precisely the location.
This information is provided free of charge

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: