Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Globalsat SD-502 Compatibility
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Globalsat SD-502 Compatibility
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ondrej
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I agree with what you're saying. The driver clearly isn't enjoying itself on the IIi. I was fishing for a solution given that the Xda IIi cannot be a million miles away from the Xda II or Xda IIs. I will try the contact you recommended, thank you.

Cheers,
Ondrej
wendtan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so like many others im having problems with my SD-502.

My configuration:
HP Ipaq HX2490
Mobile 5.0
Latest Roms from HP
Tomtom 5.21.

The antenna gets power, and gets a fix within reasonable time.
But, the storagecard is not recognized, and tomtom does not recognize the antenna at any comport. I have tried it in a dell axim51v with the same results.

I have used the SD-501 without any problems on configuration above.

I am hoping that im just missing something here, but i feel i have tried almost everything.
chrisofsweden
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so can anyone confirm compability with the HP iPAQ 2790/2795.
I'm JUST about to buy one of thos PDA's on eBAY.

Please does anyone know if I can run the SD-502 on this PDA???
Scott2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Globalsat SD-502 Compatibility Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
Please post your success/failures with getting the SD-502 to work with your PDA, and software.

Mine works fine with my XDAII and Memory-map.

This is the best news I've heard in ages!
I've been farting around with Bluetooth GPS receivers, trying to get them to work with Memory Map.
After days of trawling through chat rooms and forums, I was still desperately frustrated as it seemed that everyone was having the same problems.
Then I found the Globalsat and thought 'solution!'. Forget the Bluetooth.
However, Expansys clearly states that it is NOT compatible with the XDA II and I was again plunged in to despair!
http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=127375

Can anyone else please confirm that they have successfully used this SD GPS receiver with the XDAII?

Scott2
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Globalsat SD-502 Compatibility Reply with quote

Scott2 wrote:
MikeB wrote:
Please post your success/failures with getting the SD-502 to work with your PDA, and software.

Mine works fine with my XDAII and Memory-map.

This is the best news I've heard in ages!
I've been farting around with Bluetooth GPS receivers, trying to get them to work with Memory Map.
After days of trawling through chat rooms and forums, I was still desperately frustrated as it seemed that everyone was having the same problems.
Then I found the Globalsat and thought 'solution!'. Forget the Bluetooth.
However, Expansys clearly states that it is NOT compatible with the XDA II and I was again plunged in to despair!
http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=127375

Can anyone else please confirm that they have successfully used this SD GPS receiver with the XDAII?

Scott2

I bought one from Easydevices when the first became available in the UK, worked perfectly with my XDA II for 3 months until the SD Card part of the device separated along the seam. It was returned and a replacement sent. That failed to work at all, It created the GPSDisc Card folder, and all the maps and camera database files were showing correctly but would not transmit the GPS data to the XDA II on any port even though it was correctly set to exactly the same com port settings as the previous one.
After 2 weeks off trying everything it was returned, and Easydevices exchanged it for a Globalsat BT 338, that took all of 10 mins to setup and has worked fine ever since with both TomTom and memory map, also works fine with Autoroute 2006 Europe on the laptop with a Bluetooth dongle.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
SHC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPAQ 4700.
I get a flashing green light straight away but I've never been able to see any connection in GPS Info, tried all COM ports. I've seen GPSDisk in memory once but now that's gone too. (it comes - it goes)
COM1: Serial - nothing
COM2: Serial_FIR - nothing
COM3: IrCOMM - assume Infra-red
COM4: Serial_BTUR - nothing
COM5: Serial5
COM6: GPSUART - nothing
COM8: Serial8 - appears locked to bluetooth
COM9: SerialUSB
Pocket Streets can't see it either, waiting for MemoryMap to arrive but shouldnt GPSInfo show the satellites anyway?
Don't know what else to except send it back?
ondrej
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: Compatibility with O2 Xda IIi Reply with quote

Having tried all 10 phones in my company, I finally found one that seemed to work. I.e. COM7 port is available and the GPSDisk storage card is functioning. Both MemoryMap and TomTom operated OK except for the inevitable physical problem of the SD slot not locking the card in. Over about a couple of months, performance seemed to degrade such that the card would have to be inserted several times before it would catch on. Now I can insert the card any number of times I want and it won't function at all.

In getting my card to work, I found it very useful to use the GPS Monitor software. It seems possible for the receiver to apparently spontaneously switch itself to output SiRF binary rather than NMEA GPS data which can be a problem for TomTom as it can only accept NMEA data input. GPS Monitor allows you to switch back to NMEA as well as to debug the card in other ways. However, this is not that relevant now that the driver seems unable to make the receiver available at all.

I would be grateful if anyone has experience with this apparently unpredictable unavailability of the receiver/card. Is a fixed driver planned by GlobalSat?

Cheers,
Ondrej
davidfowler2000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

Don't know if this is the right place to post this question but here goes.

I've got a 502 and an iPaq 1950. Both get on perfectly happily, I can run the little GPSInfo program and get a fix and all that. I can access the memory on the card no bother but when i try to start TomTom (5), it says "Failed To Start"

Now here's the weird bit...it used to work fine. The only thing i changed was the PDA's rom version to combat a power down issue. Since then ive done hard resets to try and get it going but tomtom refuses to start with 502 card plugged in.

Oh and i say it worked fine, almost everything worked fine - it never liked trying to use voices in tomtom.

Anyone else having this problem?

Cheers
-David
davidfowler2000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sigh*

It's working again

Sorry folks
-David
DebtMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:32 am    Post subject: SPV-M2000 vs. SD-502 vs. CoPilot 6 Live for Pocket PC Reply with quote

Well, I've read through the entire thread and I'm still baffled - I can only assume I have a faulty SD-502.

I bought it new via eBay and it came in a sealed box with a CD. I installed the driver and GPSInfo utility, then I installed the v1.33 version.

The GPSInfo utility doesn't seem to work or doesn't detect the SD-502. My ports are as follows:

COM1: Serial
COM2: Serial_Cmd
COM3: IrCOMM
COM4: BlueTooth
COM5: Serial5
COM6: Serial6
COM8: SerialUSB
COM9: VirtCOM

What's happened to COM7 I wonder?

How long does it take for the ports to be checked for the GPS device? How soon should I be getting the info.

I certainly don't have GPSDisk card ANYWHERE on the PDA. The little green LED is flashing away fine as can be.

I know my device is compatible; it's on the updated list and it's listed on the Pocket GPS World review. (Incidentally, it's the same device as O2 XDA IIs and QTEK 9090).

I also have CoPilot Live 6 for Pocket PC (another eBay purchase - listed as un-registered and not activated, which it appears is not true). Initially, when I installed the CoPilot software to my second hard drive (not the default) and the PDA sections to the PDA default, I could still access the software - albeit un-registered and not activated - but I could get to the GPS detection and configuration menu.

I uninstalled from both harddrive and PDA and re-installed to default PC drive (CSmile and went for Storage memory on the PDA - this time I got:

Unable to open CoPilot. Please make sure the storage card is inserted or that the data has been properly downloaded.

So I uninstalled from the Storage memory and re-installed to the default memory - I still get the Unable to open CoPilot........ error.

I've just discovered a GlobalSat modem on the PDA:

SPPModem Ver: SPPModem_PPC_SW_GLOBALSAT_0100

Please select a COM Port

I have no idea what that's for either.

I DO know that CoPilot is compatible with both the PDA and th SD-502 - checked - with one minor caution: NMEA 0183 output statement GSV runs at 5 seconds and CoPilot would like it to run at 1 second. Not an incompatibility - again I've checked - but it may slow CoPilot down.

Does anyone know if this can be re-programmed to run at 1 second outputs?

Well, it's late and I'm stumped.
DebtMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, by the way, I also downloaded the CoPilot updates. The PC update went on fine, but the PPC update requires a folder on the storage card which is obviously not there as I have no visible card.
madlec
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Ive just got the SD-502 going on my Acer N321. The GPSinfo tool finds it and seems to get a few satellites indoors, by a window, and Destinator 7 finds it and finds a satellite, again indoors. The only thing is that it has the seteady light on to show a non fix, but after a couple of minutes the light goes off for about 10 seconds. While the light is off, neither the GPSinfo tool, or Destinator can find the GPS, along with any satellites. Does any one know if this is because I am indoors and it can't get a fix in a preset time? On the surface though, it seemes to be working Smile
KJ4AQT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I have a Treo-700W, with WM5 installed, I have been able to get the com ports to work twice and communicate, however the connection is extremely volatile, it will work one minute and then it disappears.

after the first success and subsequent failure i performed a hard reset and re-installed the drivers, i was able to get it working again but after removing the card and performing a soft reset, again the gps wasn't communicating.

This seriously looks like a driver issue more than a hardware issue.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: