Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HP and ViaMichelin introduce new ‘Plug and Drive’ Navigation
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HP and ViaMichelin introduce new ‘Plug and Drive’ Navigation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: HP and ViaMichelin introduce new ‘Plug and Drive’ Navigation Reply with quote

HP 1950 NavigationHP are obvioulsy well known as market leaders in PDAs. They are also well known for joint ventures with hardware and software companies to produce navigation bundles.

This time HP have implemented the ViaMichelin Navigation software coupled with a GPS car mount and the iPAQ rx1950 running Windows Mobile 5.0. The PDA sports integrated WiFi for all of us road warriors who stop off at Starbucks or other refreshment establishments with WiFi hotspots.

An item that caught my eye was "...selection of exclusive POI files are available to download from www.ViaMichelin.com (speed radars..." when I checked this was actually 633 fixed speed radars in France.

HP Press Release wrote:
HP and ViaMichelin introduce new ‘Plug and Drive’ Navigation solution

London, UK, January 10, 2005 – HP with ViaMichelin today launches the HP iPAQ rx1950 Navigator. This easy-to use GPS solution bundles the HP iPAQ rx1950 Pocket PC, with an industry-leading GPS car cradle and ViaMichelin navigation software. The solution offers a variety of smart features for accurate turn-by-turn visual and voice guidance to any address in the UK1 – just plug in and go. In addition, integrated wireless WLAN capability ensures connectivity from home, at work and on the road.

The HP iPAQ rx1950 Navigator solution can be used to plot a journey or to search for points of interest en route, while still allowing the user to manage their calendar, contacts, tasks and appointments. The Microsoft® Windows Mobile™ 5.0 operating system with updated Microsoft Office software means improved productivity and more efficient data management, including persistent storage to safeguard personal information as well as a range of entertainment features including WMA, MP3 and WMV.

An ideal choice for drivers looking for an efficient navigation system at an affordable price, this dual-purpose HP iPAQ comes with a ready-to-use, pre-programmed ViaMichelin Navigation Secure Digital™ (SD) card. This ‘Plug and Drive’ solution provides instant access to navigation functions. Simply plug the SD card into the HP iPAQ and the GPS application will install automatically.

“Whether it is a cross-country trip, or just a drive to a new part of town, HP is helping customers reach their destinations safely and easily with state of the art iPAQ navigation solutions,” said Neil Dagger, Handhelds and Wireless Device Business Manager HP UK & Ireland.

“The iPAQ rx1950 Navigator is simple to set up and has an integrated GPS receiver in the cradle,” he added. “This provides fast satellite acquisition and just a single cable providing power from the car cigar charger. With maps that are clear and bright, it is also ideal for locating POIs on the move.”

“This new offer with HP confirms ViaMichelin’s leadership role in designing and developing navigation solutions for mobile devices, especially those supporting Pocket PC,” commented Vincent Pilloy, VP Sales & Marketing, ViaMichelin. “Equipped with a revolutionary design, the solution combines innovation, mapping quality, best-in-class car integration and ease-of-use.”

Easy to use
This unique solution combines HP quality, ViaMichelin Navigation software with a high quality GPS car cradle (including loudspeaker) to deliver an all-in-one solution. The compact, portable and stylish design also means the device is not restricted to one vehicle and is easily transferable between cars. Simply insert the iPAQ into the car cradle and the navigation software starts automatically, with either landscape or portrait viewing options available. A user-friendly interface design allows quick access to all key functions, such as route calculation, via the main menu touch-screen.

The fully-integrated GPS receiver ensures accurate satellite coverage and good reception of satellite signals, regardless of windshield thickness and no external antenna is required. Thanks to the cradle’s powerful integrated loudspeaker, the rx1950 Navigator is also the loudest navigation device on the market, producing great sound quality that you can hear even with your windows open and music playing.

In addition to standard Points of Interest (POIs) offered in the pack, a selection of exclusive POI files are available to download from www.ViaMichelin.com (speed radars, tourist locations from The Michelin® Green Guide, petrol stations, car parks, garages, golf courses, etc.). A warning will alert the user when he gets close to a POI.

Free Software Points are awarded with every iPAQ Pocket PC purchased. These points enable users to choose from over 250 of the best titles available and download additional maps and new software absolutely free. Please visit: www.hp.com/go/ipaqchoice

The HP iPAQ rx1950 with ViaMichelin GPS Navigation system is available from selected retailers and online resellers this month, priced at £299, including VAT.

Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks nice. i wonder if its a big as it looks though
normanames
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any one know what programme to use to open files with a "poi" extension?

Norman Question
northerngent
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the impression that devices which can detect speed traps in France were illegal. Whilst devices that list POI (eg: speed traps) don't actually "detect" these devices, I am told that the french police have been known to confiscate them.

Does anyone know what the true situation is.??
etters
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an interesting subjet, as I live in France and have all the speed camera's on my GPS system, I would like to point out that they have all been suplied by the Goverment safety Dept.
I cannot see that they are against the law here however there is a difference as you have stated in detecting and listing.

I have asked the shop that sells both of these systems and they cannot tell me the answer, so I have asked my local police for an answer in writting so that I will know where I stand with respect to the law, and am awaiting the written answer.

When I receive the answer I will translate it and put it on the site as I know that many of you travel to France on holiday and would like to know where you stand.

With regards to having their GPS systems conviscated I would think there there are other things to take into account ie speeding and dangerous driving, and then being very stupid when you have been stopped.
If you drive with respect here you will not be stopped and the police will not know what you have in the car ( although the French do not drive with respect to anyone) but then they do not normally use GPS anyway.

I must admit that I was stopped for speeding about a month ago and the policeman was very interested in the GPS that I had and told me that he was thinking of buying one for his use when off duty, after a conversation of about 20 mins and me being very polite I was told to be on my way and have not heard anything since.

So be careful and polite when stopped and you may get away with it.
I will let everybody know as soon as I get the answer.
Regards
northerngent
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments.
Will wait for your translated reply.
Had the misfortune to breakdown, near to Orlean last year, and called upon Volvo assistance (RAC France actually). they were fantastic, very long story, but the outcome, which was arranged quickly, was a hire car to allow me to finish my holiday, another hire car at calais to get back up through the UK, and my car was brought back on a tranporter.
With one very minor exception, the French were very good.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: