Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - No GPS signal!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

No GPS signal!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: No GPS signal! Reply with quote

Have had the above for a while now and all works very well with Copilot 5, untill I changed over to Copilot 6.
It all installs fine but when I turn on the Mio and try to set up the GPS the Auto scan function is greyed out and when ever I try to use the manual scan all I get is no Sat signal!
I havetried all the baud rate settings and com ports but all im told is that the com port is open and there are no satalites.
Only got the software Friday and as I work nights and ALK is closed untill monday I thought maybe someone out there could help an old beginer?

Fingers Crossed

Bob5
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which MIO? (ie MIO 168)
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which MIO? (ie MIO 168)
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really dont know what happened there - I only posted the once! - or at least I thought that I did!
Bob5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil01 wrote:
Which MIO? (ie MIO 168)

Mio 168
Bob5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob5 wrote:
neil01 wrote:
Which MIO? (ie MIO 168)

Mio 168

This is all new to me sorry Embarassed
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, without knowing what equipment you have, it may be a little difficult for anyone to answer your question.

Unfortunately, it is as if you are asking for a windscreen for a Ford.

If you look on the back, you may find the model number somewhere, alternatively, try this link:

http://www.mio-tech.be/products/default.asp

to see which product looks like yours.
Bob5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: No GPS Set up with Copilot 6 Reply with quote

Its a Mio 168 digi walker that came with CoPilot 5.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snap

I haven't upgraded to CP6 (yet - I am awaiting an upgrade) but I do know that the settings for GPS are Com2 and 4800 baud. No other setting (other than auto when available) will work.

Sorry if it sounds obvious, but you were either outside, or at least right by a window when you tried to set up weren't you?

I would not have expected auto to have been blanked out, you did remove CoPilot 5 before you updated?

They would be:
Pocket Speech
CoPilot Pocket PC

Since initial installation loads CoPilot, then Speech, I remove them in the reverse order.

Be prepared to have to do a complete restart though, although initially I would try the reset button on the left hand side - NOT the one on the back.

There are other two issues with this PDA I also deal with (one with the PDA's sound, and the Other with Windows Mobile 2003 1st edition), but they can probably wait for now.
BigPaul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Sound ... Reply with quote

Go on Niel01, go for the sound ~ any hints readily accepted! Paul
Bob5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: GPS Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply guys, yes I did remove Copilot 5 in reverse order also did a restart using the side button then after instaling 6 thats when it all failed to work. I set the com port to 2 and the baud rate to 4800 and the auto button remains greyed out!
I looked on the USA site for ALK and they mention a problem with some early versions of the MIO 168 GPS antena being not sensitive enough.

They talk about having the unit re set. But the Europe site has no mention of this:(
USA also said it could take 15 mins for the GPS to find the Satellites and not to move it while it trys to find them, so I had it out side in the garden clear sky no trees etc.
Still nothing. I will have to phone ALK tomorrow I will let you all know what they say.

Thanks again

Bob5
Bob5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Ref Sound Reply with quote

Some Mio168 might suffer from bad play-back or bad recorded sound quality.

Try this link to Mio downloads for a sound fix.

http://www.mio-tech.be/support/support_168.asp
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's the sound link, the other is a problem with windows mobile 2003 1st edition (fixed in the second edition).
Everytme you do a reset, a few extra "Notification Events" are added to the Notification Event Database on your system (This database holds system notifications such as alarms, timed events, etc.). After several soft-resets, a device can have several hundreds of extra notification events that can reduce the performance of a device. See

http://www.scarybearsoftware.com/ppc_cn_overview.html

for a solution, I use the clearnotify.ARM.CAB towards the bottom of the web page to delete all the entries automatically, rather than the program at the top to do it manually.

As to Bob5s problem, I think that the lack of sensitivity he is referring to was only in the very first MIO168's so hopefully his PPC is not one of those ones.

It does however seem that something may have got messed up, I fully expect ALK to suggest a hard re-set and starting from scratch. (just remember to back up the data first)
Bob5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: It works:) Reply with quote

You were right they did say do a Hard reset and after that all worked as it should. All the correct menus etc in the right order appeared.
Thanks for you help?

Regards Bob5
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it, it is just that most people who have spent any time with computer problems are all to well aware of the 'start again cop-out' used by so many technicians these days. So much so, that many of us try to avoid saying it. Obviously there are times when it is the best (or only) option - this appears to have been one of them.

Do take notes of the links for sound and the Windows mobile 2003 1st edition bug. As your confidence increases, you may well be happy to use them.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: