Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - co-pilot 6 BT package
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

co-pilot 6 BT package
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lskb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: co-pilot 6 BT package Reply with quote

I feel slightly pathetic about not being able to find the answer without asking - but....

Is the BT receiver bundled by alk in the co-pilot 6 bluetooth bundle a sirf iii or a ii? Some of the web sites suggest it is a ii - if that is the case surely the tom tom kit is better?

Many thanks

Chris
dpdurst
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the site - Includes CoPilot Live software, complete street level maps for the U.S. and the award-winning CoPilot Bluetooth GPS receiver now with a SiRFstarIII chipset for the fastest time-to-first-fix
lskb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that - but can anyone who has actually bought co-pilot 6 in the UK confirm whether the receiver is a sirf iii model?
Many thanks
Chris
sirhardi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I opted for the BT package.
I can tell you in the US side, that the BT receiver gets detected a hell of a lot faster with a different program.
this is not paired !
lskb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - but can anyone who has one definitively confirm that it is a sirf iii receiver?
Many thanks
Chris
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only person who can confirm, is the supplier of the equipment. They could after all have 'old' stock which you wouldn't want.

If you ask the question before purchase, or make it a condition of your purchase you should have no problems.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SiRF III Receiver is currently shipping in the distribution channel. Retailer wise, it depends what stock they have.

The easiest way to tell the SiRF III is on the label on the base of the GPS it says "COPILOT BTGPS3" rather than "COPILOT BLUETOOTH GPS". Other than this, the case is identical, it uses the same chargers, same voltage (5vDC) and ampage (800mA).
sirhardi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
SiRF III Receiver is currently shipping in the distribution channel. Retailer wise, it depends what stock they have.

The easiest way to tell the SiRF III is on the label on the base of the GPS it says "COPILOT BTGPS3" rather than "COPILOT BLUETOOTH GPS". Other than this, the case is identical, it uses the same chargers, same voltage (5vDC) and ampage (800mA).

Are you 100% sure ?
Caus i opted for the new BT and it definetly says Copilot Bluetooth on mine, this is noit what i paid for. Embarassed
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really do seem to have difficulty believing what you are told.

As I said, check with the retailer and make it a condition of sale, if wrong they must either change it or refund. If you followed this sensible advice you should have no problem - if you didn't, I'm afraid there may be little you can do, and are unlikely to get any sympathy.

As for Dave's comment, he confirmed what I said, in that there is probably 'old stock' out there - making it even more important to follow my advice.

As to the old stock and details on the box - if you look at his avatar - he is CoPilot staff - so is probably in the 'best' position to give correct factual information on specifications/shipping - He even gave you details on how to check it out!. I certainly wouldn't dream of questioning it.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirhardi wrote:
i opted for the new BT and it definetly says Copilot Bluetooth on mine, this is noit what i paid for. Embarassed

It is a condition of the sale of goods act that goods be "as described". If they weren't then you are entitled to have this put right.

You should take it back to the retailer and ask them to swap it for the one you asked for.
lynnk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to call ALK (USA) and discuss the BT Receiver Sirf III chipset issue. I was told that every BT receiver sent out with CP6 in the US has been with the new chipset, regardless of what is says on the back of the unit. My unit happens to just say Bluetooth GPS. He indicated that the problem, if there is one, must just be with the European market. I am somewhat uncomfortable with the answer. Too bad there isn't a better way to be positive that the new chipset is in this unit. Crying or Very sad
tivoboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: received a new kit Reply with quote

I just received a new kit, same as the old one. ALK assured me this is a new receiver, yet when it connects to the pocketpc it is identified as the same BTGPS and not anything like BTGPS3 as indicated above.

Tech support said the same thing. Isn't there a software program that can confirm?

The other thing is that when I pull up the satallites screen, it shows just the 12, and not 20 as indicated. I thought SIRFIII would scan up to 20 birds?
tivoboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: well, mine is now going back Reply with quote

So, I am going to send this new one back. Regardless of whether or not this is SIRFIII or not, ALK has disablled the serial protocol for the BT receiver, meaning this receiver CANNOT be used with other GPS software products or tools.

Indeed, I am no longer able to connect using S&T or other GPS tools

that seems pretty beat.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue has crept onto another thread (THE ADVANTAGES OF COPILOT). There is also an allegations that ALK's technical support operatives may be giving unhelpful and misleading advice to users who are having difficullties with their BT receivers.

I have to say that, overall, the posts seem to suggest that there may be both SirfII and SirfIII receivers in Copilot BTGPS3 cases, and maybe also in plain Copilot BTGPS cases.

It would certainly be helpful if ALK could post another statement on this thread to make it making absolutely clear which of their BT GPS receivers is which - and whether there has been the sort of mix-up to which I allude above.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: received a new kit Reply with quote

tivoboy wrote:
when I pull up the satallites screen, it shows just the 12, and not 20 as indicated. I thought SIRFIII would scan up to 20 birds?

No receiver will enable you to see all 20 satellites simultaneously, some of them are on the other side of the earth. If you can see 12 you are doing well

Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: