Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Phone Solution
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Phone Solution

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
s79
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Phone Solution Reply with quote

Total Newb here (hey, we all start off that way right? Embarassed )

Anyway, figured it was best to start here after looking around the forum. Information overkill, but I am sure I am going to find this site useful.

Anyway, I am looking to get a cheap (as cheap as possible - I coulnt find a setup guy for the most basic / cheapest starter kit anywhere) sat nav solution.

I dont at this moment in time need a PDA (since I am saving for a laptop) and I have little need for pocket word etc. I dont want a all-in-one solution as they look a little bulky, and very expensive for my needs. I dont actually do many journeys in to unknown territory, so this is a gaget / a bit of fun.

Unfortuanetly, my Nokia doesnt have GPS or take an SD Card, but I would like suggestions of a cheap phone solution. I do have a few bits and bots that will come in handy.

I have a 256MB SD card already from my digital camera, and can lend a card reader. I can also lend a few types of software (off an IT mate of mine), so I wouldnt immedietly have to pay out for that Twisted Evil .

My bro has a sony erricson K700i which I dont know if this is compatible, but a friend is selling his Nokia 6630 cheap, so I could probably get that to try as I understand that works.

So, after that rather large post, I guess the mail points would be...

1) Whats the cheapest setup for my needs?

2) What phone would you pick for this kind of solution?

many thanks in advance
Afton bladet (Sweden) 'Were Liverpool worthy champions? What do you mean? I see Xabi Alonso dance, Steven Gerrard weep and 45,000 people sing You'll never walk alone . The question is not whether they were worthy. The question is whether we were worthy to
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Phone Solution Reply with quote

Hi s79,

Welcome to the forum! Thumbs Up

s79 wrote:
Total Newb here (hey, we all start off that way right? Embarassed )

Nothing wrong with being a newbie here, you’re right we do all start off that way. Thumbs Up

s79 wrote:
I have a 256MB SD card already from my digital camera, and can lend a card reader. I can also lend a few types of software (off an IT mate of mine), so I wouldnt immedietly have to pay out for that Twisted Evil .

Stop! You were doing so well until you mentioned pirated software! Grrrr

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
s79
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I could see how that would come across as pirated software, I would obviously want to purchase the real deal since I would like to have updates etc. I would edit my post, but I dont have the facility to do so.
Afton bladet (Sweden) 'Were Liverpool worthy champions? What do you mean? I see Xabi Alonso dance, Steven Gerrard weep and 45,000 people sing You'll never walk alone . The question is not whether they were worthy. The question is whether we were worthy to
s79
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, discovered this link which I am currently reading

http://pocketgpsworld.com/copilot-live-smartphone-5.php
s7uar7
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another newbie here Smile . I've been looking at GPS for phones as well, and I've decided to hold out for the MIO A701 Smartphone with built in SirfStar III receiver. It should be out by the end of this year.
s79
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very very nice indeed. I would love somthing like that. I have actually been looking a little in to WLAN phones too. Something like the new one from Orange. The SPVM 5000 , but even the SPVM2000 looks pretty nice, although I would need a GPS adaper
nigelp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That A701 looks pretty good !! could be tempting when it is released, saves carrying a phone and PDA around....
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For phone solutions TomTom Mobile www.tomtom.com seems to be one of the best. I use it on my phone.

You can check which phones are compatible from the list they have on their site. The 6630 is a good phone and is compatible with TomTom so if you can get a good price on that then go for it.

Don't worry about GPS receivers or SD cards as these are all supplied with the TomTom package.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: