Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
Read the current newsletter! Weekly
Newsletter
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Police to camouflage Speed Cameras April 2007
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Police to camouflage Speed Cameras April 2007
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Police to camouflage Speed Cameras April 2007 Reply with quote

The Police have won the right to camouflage cameras. Also they will be permitted to locate cameras where there is a speeding problem but little history of crashed. New rules apply from April 2007. Source: The Times Saturday 18/02/06
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Police to camouflage Speed Cameras April 2007 Reply with quote

Hi doff,

Thanks for the heads up. The full article can be read on the "Times online" website, here.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting read, I would also like to see the approaching face of the camera (Gatso on the back, Truvelo on the front) fitted with a large easily readable sign displaying your vehicles speed, then there is no mistake, and the technology exists to do this - yes it will cost, but it will achieve the objective of the camera, to slow drivers down in areas of concern - I do not condone speeding in anyway, but I feel this adaptation of technology would be more beneficial than more cameras.
Just to add one more bit if you are driving around South East Manchester - Audenshaw etc. beware, some of the "new" cameras have been painted Black in total - this includes red lights and Gatso units, noticed them last week, and yes the positions were recorded - not easy to spot in the dark - Mike
SOELEY
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that proves they only want to make money out of them. People do speed it's a fact, but when they know theres a camera there they slow down.

With a hidden camera the damage could still happen, but at least they'll get the 60 fixed penalty out of you. Some consalation that will be to the relative of an injured/killed person.

Next they'll be putting them up on the moors, where there's little risk of an accident, but know people do put there foot down a bit.
ccsnet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this on one of my other forums ( http://www.digital-car.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2607 ) after hearing about it the other day.

Its not gone down well.... I dont totaly understand why this move has been made as we have got IMHO too many cameras now.

How many times do you come up to a camera and even though you think you know what speed to do and your sat nav tells you what it should be do you slow down even further just in case - especially in areas you dont know.

Even then I have been in areas which have conflicting signage - end result you have a paranoid UK driving public.

Terran
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know this wont go down well Smile ,but i come from a country where they not only hide the camera's they are temperary cameras ,and it was a good thing i learnt quick not to speed , now maybe the death toll wont be so high anymore , i for one am all for it
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy-c1 wrote:
i know this wont go down well Smile ,but i come from a country where they not only hide the camera's they are temperary cameras ,and it was a good thing i learnt quick not to speed , now maybe the death toll wont be so high anymore , i for one am all for it

I do agree this would work well if the speed limit was clear n the first place - and it just isn't.

They seem to be tackling the problem the wrong way round - surley some of this vast amount of cash they are making from camreas should be invested in improving signage.

Chris
Unplugged
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was last driving in Leics most of the small towns as you were approacing them had the old motorway style 300.... 200..... 100 yard style signs with the speed on them so you knew a village was coming up and what speed it was.

Its the only place ive seen them and around here it wont surprise me at all too see the return of 60 down to 30 zones where you come round a corder on a 60 road smack into a 30 zone with a Grey Gatso 100 yards into it hidden behind a tree.

Peoples opinions of cameras are pretty low a return to grey and black cameras will just see more of them getting torched. I will agree tht they should be given the power to place them when and where they see fit but within reason like in schools and not for example every 300 yards on a straight 8 mile strech of dual Carrageway.
ccsnet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with andy-c1 but I think what Unplugged is saying and I certainly feel is that these things can be abused and have been... and thats why people are not happy about them.

Terran
GrahamWager
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've started putting the 3-2-1 countdown signs to a lower speed limit around some towns in Essex too.

One of the biggest problems I've found round my area though, is kids having nothing better to do, going out and turning signs round.

So many times, I've seen a sign on the left say 30, and a sign on the right say 40. Are camera fines enforcable if this is the case?

Maybe we should have American style signposts that are square to stop this kind of thing. It's just plain dangerous, and I witnessed a crash just down the road from my house where some stupid kid had turned a give way sign round causing 2 cars to collide at 30 because both thought they had priority.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy-c1 wrote:
now maybe the death toll wont be so high anymore

The UK has the safest roads in the world. How much more do we need to reduce the death toll? Is speeding the only cause of deaths on our roads?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:

The UK has the safest roads in the world. How much more do we need to reduce the death toll? Is speeding the only cause of deaths on our roads?

nope. most deaths are aused by people messing about on the roads - the fact that a car was speeding wasn't the cause of the accident in the first place but just made a bad accident into a fatality.

thankfully there's a new campaign (posters, tv ads etc) that basically remind people to be careful on the roads and pay attention as opposed to just saying 'speeding kills' it's more along the lines of the original road-safety campaigns - stop, look & listen with darth vader.

MaFt

ps - as for camoflaging speed cams i think this is counter-pproductive and will make more people think they're just wanting the money instead of actually slowing people down. best option in my eyes is to use thse ones that flash up saying 'slow down - 30' if you're speeding but then 100yds farther stick a speed camera - you get a warning then if you ignore it you get caught on camera. however, that's too simple for the government to try...
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
use thse ones that flash up saying 'slow down - 30' if you're speeding but then 100yds farther stick a speed camera - you get a warning then if you ignore it you get caught on camera. however, that's too simple for the government to try...
and the revenue would dry up.

I put a road safety suggestion to the Transport Minister several years ago.

On approach to traffic lights, have a sensor under the road, at a set distance in advance, according to the speed of the road. Should anyone pass the sensor at over the speed limit, the traffic lights would change as normal to amber then red. The same would apply at light controlled pedestrian crossings. Only problem with this idea, no revenue.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
Quote:
use thse ones that flash up saying 'slow down - 30' if you're speeding but then 100yds farther stick a speed camera - you get a warning then if you ignore it you get caught on camera. however, that's too simple for the government to try...My point exactly - pre warn the driver with an active sign attached to the approaching face of the camera, i.e. in full view to the driver of the vehicle, prior to them passing the device and triggering any flash guns etc. - no excuse at all for this offence Rolling Eyes

On approach to traffic lights, have a sensor under the road, at a set distance in advance, according to the speed of the road. Should anyone pass the sensor at over the speed limit, the traffic lights would change as normal to amber then red. The same would apply at light controlled pedestrian crossings. Only problem with this idea, no revenue.
They could install a red light unit as the stupid idiots that drive recklesly and speed in dangerous areas that these days force cameras to be installed would simply drive through the junction (if the timing was set correctly) - this would therefore generate the missing revenue - Mike
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They could install a red light unit as the stupid idiots that drive recklesly and speed in dangerous areas that these days force cameras to be installed would simply drive through the junction (if the timing was set correctly) - this would therefore generate the missing revenue

Even better, I agree 100%.

I do believe road speeds should be reviewed in certain areas, not far from me is the A278 dual carriageway link road from the M2 to the A2, it used to be 70mph but has been reduced to 50 but 70 was OK. Less than a mile from there is a winding narrow country lane which has the national speed limit of 60, where 30 is more than fast enough.

Over the years I have seen a deterioration in driving skills. It appears that new drivers have been shown how to pass the test rather than drive.

Before anyone jumps down my throat, some of my learning skills were, change down to third gear (four speed boxes in those days) when approaching a crossroads, ready to stop, being told 'if the car in front was a brick wall, could you stop, that speed limit signs were a maximum and speed should be adjusted according to conditions, use the gears to slow down for junctions where the other road had priorty or approaching traffic lights which were showing red, look well ahead and if you notice the traffic lights you are approaching have been on green a long time, expect them to change to red.

I've got that off my chest, I feel better now.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: