Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Announce Launch of TomTom ONE
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Announce Launch of TomTom ONE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wibbly wrote:
Yes, I think the next 'jump' in features will be

- Road speeds for all (major?) roads, leading to automaitc speed warnings. I wonder if existing TomTom hardware (processor speed/memory) would cope with this (or is all it takes is bigger maps)?

W

It'll never happen. The legal implications of maintaining a database of road speeds will make this feature highly unlikely. Indeed current storage and processor speeds would struggle to cope with such a large dataset.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almahadeus wrote:
Darren, IMHO the winner is the one that will have the most accurate maps of all as this is what it is all about at the end of the day. It is no good to have all the functionality in the world if the maps are not accurate and that is what these companies should try and acheive. 8)

I disagree. yes map currency is vital but with a poor interface and bug ridden software it would be a missed opportunity.

I have had the opportunity to test a package that has both Navteq and Teleatlas mapping. Neither was perfect and I couldn't choose between them. So given we really only have the two data providers the quality of the software is going to be the deciding factor.
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almahadeus wrote:
Darren, IMHO the winner is the one that will have the most accurate maps of all as this is what it is all about at the end of the day. It is no good to have all the functionality in the world if the maps are not accurate and that is what these companies should try and acheive. 8)

I completley disagree. Maps, printed or electronic will never be 100% accurate. IMHO, the most important feature of SatNav is the speed of recalculating the route after a wrong/different turn, together with the most flexible and/or efficient method of using what road data there is.
longwori
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the topic - What I dont understand is why they have brought this out? It doesnt seem to fit in the product range as it stands. Are they going to abandon the GO and bring out a series of TomTom ONE and then TWO with hands-free etc? Doesnt this make the TomTom GO 300 a complete nonsense now with its inferior GPS chipset and bulkier design?

Any thoughts people?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

longwori wrote:
Back to the topic - What I dont understand is why they have brought this out? It doesnt seem to fit in the product range as it stands. Are they going to abandon the GO and bring out a series of TomTom ONE and then TWO with hands-free etc? Doesnt this make the TomTom GO 300 a complete nonsense now with its inferior GPS chipset and bulkier design?

Any thoughts people?

Well it's essentially a RIDER underneath so a simple thing to tool up for, I guess it was an opportunity for them to launch a budget unit in time for Xmas but I'd have to agree that it sill kill 300 sales.
longwori
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I'd have to agree that it sill kill 300 sales.

Yeah, especially with it being cheaper than the 300 too. It sounds like a really nice unit.
wildatheart
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what options the 'audio out' socket brings, in terms of hooking the unit up to an amplifier+car speakers.
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely the market place is constantly changing and this could be the first shot in a new range to supercede the go range.

There are 2 ways to go when changing models either add value options ie radio bt video viewing weather maps or keeping the feature set and reducing price on more volume production

As always an interesting time ahead for GPS and all of us that like playing

Laughing

I keep on learning but they invent new things faster ,How do I keep up ?
taz88
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was originally looking to purchase one of the TT Go series but put off because of the bulkiness of the units. If this is smaller, cheaper and comes with a better receiver then it's definitely an attractive alternative.

Darren do you have the dimensions of the unit?
TazUk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it really only have a 2 hour battery life 8O if so then that's a bit pants Sad Whilst I know it will mostly be used in the car I'm sure people would like to use it outside for advanced route planning etc.
wildatheart
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DO bear in mind that the sound quality of the One is inferior to the Go range. This would be a big deal for me.
longwori
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taz88 wrote:
Darren do you have the dimensions of the unit?

Dimensions are.......

Unit measures 110 x 89 x 34 mm, 260 grams (~10 ounces)

according to.....

http://www.gpslodge.com/archives/003480.php
Sean16
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
DO bear in mind that the sound quality of the One is inferior to the Go range. This would be a big deal for me.

How do you no this, so far there isn't many details regarding this product and as of yet no one has done a full review.
wildatheart
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mytomtomgo.com/vervolg.php?id=110

quote:
"This unit is a lot flatter. This does have one disadvantage though: the built-in speaker of the ONE is a lot smaller and thus produces sound of a lower quality than the GO's speaker does. This was immediately noticable when we turned the ONE on. The volume is not bad at all, but the sound was a lot less rich. Call it tinnier if you like."
kgboppa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: TomTom One Reply with quote

No external speaker socket,just bluetooth. When will TomTom give us an option on sound ? This rules this unit out for me. bugga. :x

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 2 of 20

Jump to: