Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS position unreliable??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS position unreliable??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jedstagg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: GPS position unreliable?? Reply with quote

I have exactly the same problem, and also run it from a Tosh E330.

Did switching the PPC off before turning the ignition help? I will give this a try.

Regards

Jed
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: GPS position unreliable?? Reply with quote

There are two types of GPS, the 9531/9532 and the 9534 which is the one with the LED.
catken96
Occasional Visitor

Hi Steve,

The TomTom GPS mouse (yes, that's the receiver) that I've

got is the silver one. It has a little window in one corner through which you can see the LED flashing. As I said before, I'm not sure if this is a feature on every make/model of mouse.

Tom.
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

Tom,

Thanks, found the Return Trip. never used it because I usually just navigate to home, but it would be useful if you started and finished at a different location.

Re the flashing LED in the mouse, is that the box that picks up the signal for the want of a better description? I got mine from TomTom but it does not have an LED on/in it....

Steve
catken96
Occasional Visitor

Hi Steve,

In the Plan Route(From)(To) Window, there is another Tab "Type". After completing your planned route, when you are ready to return, open the Window, tap "Type", tick "Return Trip" box, go to Navigator and off you go.

Flashing LED.

I don't know if this is a feature on every GPS Mouse, but the TomTomNav Mouse has a bi-colour (Red/Green) Light Emitting Diode which flashes Red when first powered on. After a few moments it then flashes Green and should "capture" some satellites.

Tom.
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

From one of the threads above, is there a Return Route option on TT2?

Also what is the LED in the mouse flashing red or green referred to above?

Steve
catken96
Occasional Visitor

Hi Jules,

The reason I wondered about "spikes" was down to the fact that I tried really hard to lock the system up one time, and no matter what combination of dis-connection / connection I used I could not replicate the lock-ups other users were experiencing. However when it locked after starting the engine with the Tosh switched on it stayed locked. All attempts at resetting failed-- the reset button on the back had no effect. I couldn't turn the power off,so there was no point in trying to initialise it as recommended by Toshiba(switch power off, switch power on while using stylus to press and hold in reset button, then release Power switch).Phew!! It remained "on" all the way home, showing the navigator screen about to start the journey. The ONLY way I could get control was to switch the Battery Switch off which returned it to "Out of the box" state.In fact I left it for several hours to see if it would reset itself before doing that.It didn't. It's as if it was in a "For-Next" loop, a register was being polled and never getting a "Return To". This led me to think that a "spike" had corrupted something somewhere, as there was no way of getting in. No keyboard access to try a Ctl/Q (A quicker method of shutting down than "Start"

/"Settings" / "System"/ "Running Programs"/"Stop All").

The only thing happening was the battery was gradually discharging. So,I agree with you, it has something to do with the "On-Off-On" situation.Having pondered on what I've said about "spikes", the one nagging thought is-- why doesn't the ferrite ring on the Serial/USB lead suppress such interference? Perhaps the PL-2303 USB-To-Serial Bridge Controller Chip fitted inline throws a wobbly. I think I will have to lie down in a quiet dark corner and ponder some more. For now, the solution appears to be -- switch the Tosh on AFTER starting the engine, and switch it off BEFORE turning the ignition off,(or in the event of an engine stall). I find that you don't have to exit TTNav, and it starts up from where you left off when you re-start. I've carried mine around in my pocket when I've been away from the car for a while, ie in a petrol station, and just plugged in, switched on and away! Up until now!!!!!!

Tom.

MikeB
Frequent Visitor

ESSEX ROOLZ.

That is right you dont get fix errors but youy do get the GPS Unreliable message sometimes. I like it when you just start down the section from the A12 when it thinks you have just gone down an old farm track.

Then later on it tries to send you back on the old 130 as you go over one of the bridges around Hanningfield.
Boxbrownie
Lifetime Member

Hi MikeB,

I use the new A130 a lot and every time all I get is the car driving accross fields! Laughing Out Loud but I never get an sat fix error, just tracks along the countryside.

The only time I get fix errors is under bridges or next to tall buildings.

Best regards David

(yes another Essex David!)
Dave Southend
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I've now been exiting the application and switching the Tosh off every time I switch off the ignition.

Might be a bit of overkill but the problem hasn't arisen since.
danielb
Occasional Visitor

I have the same problem with a toshiba e350, sometime it works straight away and sometimes it just won't get a signal. The receiver flashes orange when on roads like the A406 where it usually gets a signal. It shows up to 4 satellites on the status but still says GPS position unreliable, help !
Dave Southend
Occasional Visitor

Hope somebody can help me with this problem!

I've been running Tomtom 2 for quite a while with no probs. Installed updates etc. Recently went to get some petrol, came back, drove off and my PC told me that the GPS position was unreliable. Anyway it never corrected itself and GPS status showed a blank.

So, I did a hard reset, installed software again (including updates) and it was fine. Then, same thing happened after I stopped at a shop. Did the same installation again and was fine for a while but then it did the same again.

I have the latest Navigation updates and latest GPS drivers but the damn thing just refuses to work without being reinstalled.

Would appreciate any ideas.

Thanks,

Dave
Jtonline
Occasional Visitor

Hi Tom,

It might be, but I don't think it's spikes as such, just that if you have the e330 powered on and connected when you start the car the external power via the TomTom lead will be on when the ignition is on, then will go off briefly whilst the starter motor turns the engine over, and then will come back on again once the engine has started.

My belief is that it's that on-off-on sequence of external power in quick succession that sometimes causes a problem because as you point out, if you power on the e330 after the engine is running it seems happy.

Also, something I've noticed that kind of backs up my theory is that I have my e330 configured so that the screen backlight is constantly on full brightness when it's running off external power and switches off after a short time if running off the internal battery power. Sometimes the backlight will not come back on if I switch the ignition off for a short time and then switch it back on, and so I then have to resort to turning the screen backlight on manually by holding down the e330 power switch.

Are you sure you needed to reinstall when you got home? If you couldn't close TomTom and the GPS Driver by exiting the application (use File | Exit not the X in the top righthand corner of the window), then I would have thought a soft reset of the e330 was all that would have been required (by poking stylus tip through little hole in back of PDA to press internal reset button) to clear the problem so the GPS Driver could start communicating with the receiver again and get a fix on your location.

http://www.jtonline.info
http://twitter.com/jtonlineinfo
http://www.pinterest.com/jtonlineinfo
catken96
Occasional Visitor

On another thread I detailed some attempts at locking up my Tosh E330, ie unplugging GPS, disconnecting PPC lead etc. Everything worked straight away when re-connected. I couldn't repeat the problems other Tosh users were having. However I do not like cigar lighter adaptors and hardwired the power lead just in case this might be the cause. Great, no problems!!. Until last Sunday. My missus started the car, while I selected Return Trip, and replaced PPC in the holder. Missus stalled and re-started the engine, and no Sats. So, it may be that some "spikes" are causing the lockup. I had to re-install when I got home. I always switch the PPC off before I turn the ignition off, and just turn it back on after starting up again. The GPS remains powered-up while it's plugged in,I don't exit TomTom and have not had any problems before. The only difference this time was starting the engine with the Tosh running. Food for thought Jules.

Tom.
Dave Southend
Occasional Visitor

Yes I think the 'on off on' sequence is probably the answer.

Reinstalling the old driver doesn't work because (something I had forgotten about!) the old driver doesn't actually work at all with the Tomtom receiver.

From now on I am going to exit the application when I leave the car. We shall see if this works or not.

I've mailed tomtom so I might receive their opinion in a month or two.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: