Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Definite newbie with too many options
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Definite newbie with too many options

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Definite newbie with too many options Reply with quote

Sorry to post what is probably the millionth request for basic information. However, I really don't know where to start. My usual tactic of jumping in at the deep end failed. My searches within the forums came up with too many options (I think I was catching sigs as well). So here I am.

I'm ready to jump into the world of GPS, but don't know where to start! I have an HP Ipaq 5550, so lots of options there then. Bluetooth, jackets, mounts. However, all I have is a 5550. I want to use it in the car. Multiple cars. So the solution must be transferable. The battery life on a 5550 seems to me to be pretty dire, so I need someway of powering it. Again transferable. Then, I need to do the satnav itself, and there it gets really confusing!

As a complete newbie, the only thing I have heard of is TomTom. A quick search tells me that this is software, and not a complete solution in itself, and that TTN5 is the thing to go for (I may be very wrong!). I then probably (again, don't know) want a bluetooth GPS device as this won't draw power from the 5550. The only problem I can see with this is that I'll then need to power 2 devices. So maybe the way forward is a jacket and a power source for the ipaq.

I also read that the speakers in the ipaq are pretty pants. So maybe that is a consideration. I honestly don't know.

I realize there isn't one 'right' answer. However, some sifting of the available information would help. Where should I be concentrating my research?

Thanks, in advance, for any help anyone can give.

Steve
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi steve_uk,

Welcome to the forum! Thumbs Up

The iPAQ 5550 is getting a bit old nowadays. I’ve just retired my 3970 from being my primary SatNav unit. Saying that the 5550 should run TomTom Navigator 5 OK.

Forget jackets as they are quite expensive and getting harder to find. The 5550 has Bluetooth, so why not use it? If you do decide to go for TomTom Navigator 5, then you could buy a software and TomTom Bluetooth GPS receiver (with SiRF Star III chipset), or you could go for a software-only package and buy a separate decent BT GPS receiver that also has a SiRF Star III chipset and a good battery like, e.g. GlobalSat BT-338.

The iPAQ 5550 had a reputation for having a quiet speaker, you can get amplified mounts that power the iPAQ as well. I prefer the Brodit range of active (i.e. powered) mounts. If you use the Brodit Move Clip (213005) system you just need a Brodit Pro Clip in each car and you can easily move the system form one car to another. If you use hire cars then you don’t want to install Pro Clips, but you can use a generic windscreen sucker gooseneck with the Brodit Move Clip to connect the iPAQ mount to the windscreen gooseneck.

If you do go for TomTom, you’ll probably get it on an SD storage card. It’s best to buy a larger SD card (512Mb or even 1Gb) and use a card reader to copy the contents of the TomTom SD card to the larger blank card. You then have a backup card to keep in a safe place.

If you use the Brodit system and need to replace your iPAQ 5550 then all you need to do is get another PocketPC and a suitable Brodit active holder for it and away you go.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Definite newbie with too many options Reply with quote

steve_uk wrote:
I want to use it in the car. Multiple cars. So the solution must be transferable.

Steve,
I suggest you forget about your iPaq and take a look at a standalone unit. This is by far the simplest solution if you want to use it in multiple vehicles. I can recommend the Garmin StreetPilot i3 at under £200.

Having said that, I still use a 5550, a Sedio G2500 amplified mount, Seido wired GPS receiver, and TT5 in my own car. My wife uses the Garmin i3.
steve_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys. Have started looking down both routes. The standalone unit is obviously more expensive, and I would have to completely retire the 5550. The bluetooth GPS looks fine but the powered mount with a speaker is far more than I thought it would be!

I shall keep looking, but this has definitley pointed me in the right direction.

One question on the mounts. The 2 cars in question are both ours, so fixing things is fine. Am I right in thinking that I need 2 Move clips (213005) and 1 active mount with speaker (992569)? Would I need anything else?

Thanks again.

Steve
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi steve_uk,

As both cars are yours, you just need the appropriate Brodit Pro Clip for each car. The Brodit Move clips come in a packet of three so you can use the two of the same fixed in the cars, and the single one on the Brodit active mount.

The Brodit Move clips (213005) has two female and one male clip and looks like this:

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve_uk wrote:
The standalone unit is obviously more expensive
I don't know if that is true. I think you would be hard pushed to get the software and maps, a GPS receiver, and a powered mount all for less than £199.
uk89camaro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kartracer wrote:
steve_uk wrote:
The standalone unit is obviously more expensive
I don't know if that is true. I think you would be hard pushed to get the software and maps, a GPS receiver, and a powered mount all for less than £199.

That's true. But I'd be interested to know what you could get standalone for that money.
steve_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Thanks for all the replies. Investigations are still continuing at this end. However, in reply to how I can do standalone cheaper. One word really: eBay!

Still having a problem sourcing a cheap mount, but the whole lot should come in at about £150, (with the expensive mount) as I already own the ipaq.

Thanks again for all your help.

Steve
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uk89camaro wrote:
That's true. But I'd be interested to know what you could get standalone for that money.
Garmin i3.
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kartracer wrote:
uk89camaro wrote:
Garmin i3.

Totally agree go for the Garmin i3 and get the best value for this amount of money.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: