Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - No fix on ipaq H5450 Copilot 4 Live
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

No fix on ipaq H5450 Copilot 4 Live
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: No fix on ipaq H5450 Copilot 4 Live Reply with quote

Must admit I haven't had a chance to install it on a 5450. I can't see any reason why there would be a problem. This sounds stupid, but have you verified that you're using the correct COM port in CoPilot Live ? Unfortunately I'm not sure what it is.

One way of testing if it's the sleeve at fault is to download CruxView from our downloads page (under Emtac Bluetooth section). You can also download TomTom Navigator 2 update from their website, and although TomTom won't work, I don't believe the GPS driver (GPS icon) requires authorisation, so you could test this to see if you can get a fix).
skigb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: No fix on ipaq H5450 Copilot 4 Live Reply with quote

Well guys. The unit is working!

Dave. I followed your advise and downloaded the TomTom upgrade. Once installed I selected Emtac/Crux Sleeve and left the selected port on default, and selected Status. I tried this on the way to work and still no satelites or satellite fix. This as you can imagine left me thinking it was just a waste of time.

Justin at Travroute Support called me for additional information needed by US support before they could make any comments regarding the next step. As we went through the normal checks again within seconds I got a fix using CoPilot 4 Live. I couldn’t believe it, that in this same position outside I was getting 7 satelites! (By the way they confirmed that the first jacket I had was faulty)

Before you ask, I have no idea? I checked the settings and found that COM4 was being used. I did try TomTom again but this still did not find any satellites. The option to use COM4 in TomTom was not available so I assume this was because it was CoPilot that has this port reserved still with the jacket attached?

Well there you go, I am mystified. I am off again tonight for a long awaited trial.

I won’t bug you now regarding wireless coms and my laptop, but watch this space!

Thud, same model jacket: Model IGPSJ Model Number D15A8

Thank you guys for all your help.

Trevor

Thud
Occasional Visitor

Skigb,

The label on my CoPilot GPS jacket says

Model IGPSJ Model Number D15A8

Dave
Frequent Visitor

The likelihood of having two GPS sleeves being faulty does seem a little strange, and personally I'd put it down to the iPAQ you have. I know others have got it to work on the 5450 but there may be something different on yours, say to how you have it configured which might be causing a problem.

Processor interference could happen more on one device if it hasn't been shielded correctly and rushed on the production line.

You said you did a hard reset, was the only thing you installed at that point CoPilot Live ?

The problem with the Emtac sleeve it's difficult to run diagnostics because of the stealthing. The other option you have is to download TTN GPS Support program from the TomTom website and install this. You won't be able to activate TomTom Navigator, but it will give you a GPS applet, and I think you can use this without activating the software. This at least will allow you to select the Emtac/Crux Sleeve and see if you get a GPS signal then. If you do, then it's CoPilot Live at fault.

Remember that COM ports are virtual, and it maybe that you've had something installed that's shifted the COM ports around, so for some unexplicable reason, you may be running off different com ports to others, and this may be conflicting if it's using a com port it thinks is free when in-fact it's not (eg IR COM3).

I would try downloading TomTom's update, unzip to your hard disk, then run the setup.

If it won't install because it's looking for a previous install, drop me an email and I'll send you an earlier version of the GPS.CAB file which will allow you to install and select the sleeve for diagnostics.
skigb
Occasional Visitor

Yep, WiFi, Bluetooth and the InfraRed Beaming turned off.

Just another routine Travroute put me through.

Although Thud (Above) seems to have no problems with the possibility of your processor interference theory.. if he has the same jacket

Thanks Dave

Still waiting for next level of support Sad
Dave
Frequent Visitor

I haven't heard from anyone else using the Emtac sleeve with the iPAQ 5450, but it could be processor interference. This is something Navman used to get a lot of on their sleeve where the processor of the iPAQ is too close to the circuitry on the GPS sleeve.

One other thing to try would be to make sure you have WiFi, Bluetooth and the InfraRed Beaming turned off.
skigb
Occasional Visitor

I am still waiting for Travroute to get back to me. Believe me I have tried all ways. I have done a soft/hard reset and still I have left it sitting in a clear view positioned where I can get a lock in seconds with my other Palm Navman jacket and iCN630.

It just does not get a fix even after an hour, although it says it is receiving a GPS signal!!!

I tried CruxView that Dave recommended but the same result. It seems it could be a problem with my iPaq or the second jacket I have from Travroute.

stew
Occasional Visitor

Skigb, Thud, I will try the modulator 1st and report back

thanks
Thud
Occasional Visitor

Skigb,

I've been trying to think if I have done anything else to my unit. I had to remove and replace the battery in order to get the wlan working but I can't see how that could have anything to do with your problem. I do remember that once after starting CoPilot it sat for ages trying to get a satellite fix and eventually I gave up and did a soft reset. When I re-started CoPilot it achieved a fix in about 20 seconds. At the time I think I just assumed the software had locked-up but the symptoms are the same as you describe. However, that was with 3.5 and not with 4.

By the way, I believe that 4 gets a fix faster than 3.5 did. I haven't done any measurements but it seems that way. Why that should be I don't know since it is the same jacket. Maybe I'm just getting used to the wait.

Thud
Occasional Visitor

Stew,

I am fortunate in that the radio in my car happens to have a 3.5mm jack input so I can connect it straight to the iPAQ with the appropriate lead.

For my wife's car I bought an FM modulator but I haven't found it to be ideal. I need to remove the car aerial to use it otherwise it is extremely difficult to tune in and as I drive around what was a clear patch starts to pick up a radio station. The difficulty in tuning is because the radio isn't really designed for manual tuning, it wants to do everything automatically and jump to the next radio station, hence the need to remove the aerial. If I was buying again I would look seriously at the cassette adaptor idea.

skigb
Occasional Visitor

Still no luck after install of ROM 1.11. Currently waiting for USA support to get back to me.

Stew, You can use an FM modulator similar to the ones I have on ebay. user ski_gb
stew
Occasional Visitor

Thud, can you enlighten me on how you are routing the iPAQ sound through the speakers ? Are you using a standard cassette adaptor into the stereo from the output Jack or have you wired it through a mobile phone pickup on you head unit

thanks

skigb
Occasional Visitor

thanks I will try the ROM upgrade from 1.10. Will post any changes thanks
Thud
Occasional Visitor

For what it's worth, I've been using CoPilot Live with a 5450 for three weeks now without any problems in getting a satellite fix. I have the latest rom upgrade installed (1.11.XX, 6 June) and I always do a soft reset before using CoPilot. It seems to perform better if it starts with a clean slate.

When you do get it working and if you have a problem with voice crackle, set the speech amplifier within the CoPilot options to one up from "Low". It cures it on my unit. I don't know if this is a problem specific to the 5450 or a general one or even unique to my unit. Since I feed the sound through my car radio, having the speech amplifier turned down isn't a problem.

skigb
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the reply Dave. I have run an Auto scan before and results 'CoPilot is receiving GPS signals with the current COM port and baud rate.'

I have put CruxView test program onto my ipaq but not got a clue how to use it!

The manual is is a mystery to me. Is there a quick setup I could try?

Trevor

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: