Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A question about coverage in Spain
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A question about coverage in Spain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
metroace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: A question about coverage in Spain Reply with quote

Before I shell out 199 Euros for the Europen edition of ViaMichelin Navigation, I have a question to ask.

Does it provide full coverage of the Balearics and the Canaries? Both are full and proper parts of Spain in the same way that the various Scottish islands are a part of the United Kingdom.

Our furthest flung Scottish islands are in the UK edition, are the Spanish islands? Confused
elan2s
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my maps when I purchased v2.5 at the start of this year and my understanding is that v3.0 has a more up to date map set. However on the assumption that that manes there is more not less detail on the maps (if there is any change at all) then you will find that the Balearics are part of the Spain/Portugal map and seem to have a reasonable level of detail. There is a seperate file for the Canaries, however on quick inspection this seems to only cover the more important roads

In their defence the level of coverage in a country is not a viaMichelin issue as they are dependant upon TeleAtlas, however they are perhaps not as quick as TomTom in releasing new maps and currently map updates only seem available by repurchasing the software on CD instead of being able to download.

Hope this helps
metroace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info.

My next journey will be to the Balearics so I am glad that the mapping seems to be to a decent level as their road signing leaves something to be desired (as it does in some parts of London!).

So I will purchase the set early next year and then I can see for myself re the Canaries. I know the kind of detail I should be looking at for Tenerife and Lanzarote so can compare what I know to what is on the discs.
elan2s
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a reply I had from viaMichelin yesterday regarding the upcoming November release it would seem that there is a significant map upgrade included so definitely worth waiting until after then and to make sure that the version you buy is definitely the latest.
metroace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads-up. As I would not be travelling until April or May, I can sit back for the next release.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: