Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed of this site
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed of this site

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
genes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Speed of this site Reply with quote

Hi

Is it me or is this site getting slow?

I have a broadband 1 mb connection and I find that most sites load in an instant but this one can take 15 - 20 seconds to load

Terry
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Speed of this site Reply with quote

It depends where you're seeing the slow down. We do get a slow down in the forums when you have more than 15 active users on at anyone time. This is the norm for the size of the database. 15 Active users, are just the amount of users, most users will have an average of 10 forum links open at anyone time, which means 150 database connections open, this might not sound a lot but it does tax the server.

The forums are loading for me around 5-7 seconds at the time of this post, which is around the norm. This is on a 512mb connection.

We do notice a general slow down by around of the site as a whole after 1-2pm which is when the states generally comes on line and we have lots of visitors from the states. I'm not going to give any of our stats away here, but we get 10 times more visitors compared to the closest GPS website, which is a lot of users per day.

Most of our reviews are large, it's not necessarily the website slowing down, but the time it takes you to download the pictures. We make our reviews large because we try to bring you as many images as possible including raw photos, and this depending on reviews being read (eg the CoPilot review that we've just released is massive-800k in size!), can have an adverse effect when we release a new review. We will be optimising code over the next few months to reduce the overall loading of pages on-site, but this will mean reviews will get smaller and so will images.

Other latency can come across internet links from different ISP's.
genes
Occasional Visitor

Hi Dave

My problem is mostly when logging into the site initialy, after that moving from forum to forum seems fairly fast but thanks for the explanation anyway

Regards

Terry
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

Terry,

When you log on do you go to the home page or directly to the forum index page?

This can help us determine where the issues are.
genes
Occasional Visitor

Hi Mike

Directly to the forum index page - This is where it takes a long time - Then I log in and that is also slowish but after that things seem normal

Terry

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: