Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin POI Loader
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin POI Loader
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Nope, said it was the wrong place to ask about a Garmin, so I went else where for a decent reply, I really dont need a reply like that, I asked for assistance, he gave a smartarse reply, I thought I would get help in here, I was wrong, so I went to the Garmin website and contacted them, If I have a problem, I ask them, no point asking here, the replies dont help are slow in coming, and thats the reason I havent been back, my Garmin works okay, but others are better,it gets mne from A-B thats all I need, not smart arse replies

First of all his name is Andy not Censored. Don't use language that i have to edit out again please.

Secondly this isn't the Garmin Forum it's the Speed Camera Database forum that covers many brands of Sat Nav, including Garmin.

Andy's response of trying the Garmin area isn't a smartarse reply. He was pointing out that problems with drivers for units are probably best dealt with in areas that are specific for that brand. This thread was regarding problems with POILoader and not to do with general plugging in and getting going problems. Andy's response was relevant and constructive. A new thread in an area designated for dealing with Garmin problems could have yielded faster results.

If you have a problem with the time it takes to get a reply then you should have posted in the correct area first, instead of "hijacking" an unrelated thread. After all this is free forum. No-one here is paid to answer your questions. If a response takes time, it takes time.... Mike replied 40 minutes later but you never responded....

With an attitude like yours no-one is going to rush to reply in future....
pepsi666
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was my firsst Sat Nav, I didnt hi jack the topic, I couldnt get my Sat Nav to register on my PC, to upload the POI or speed cameras, it would have been a good idea to point me in the right direction, rather than just stating it werent the right place
I dont use this forum, I dont need this forum or website, only reason I'm back is I recieved a notification of a reply, otherwise I wouldnt be here answering this reply
I am a member of various forums and where ever possible I try to direct new people to the correct topic or provide a helpfull reply rather than a broad statement, as far as I anm concerned this is finished,and I wont be back, I havent found anything helpfull here
he may have replied in 40 minutes but didnt provide anything helpful or usefull, it hasnt altered my opinion of him

END OF DISCUSSION
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm astounded.....

pepsi666, if I'd wanted to post an unhelpful, sarcastic or pointless reply, I certainly could have done, but I genuinely thought I WAS being as helpful as I could, and I DID point you in the right direction!

As the issue was specific to your Garmin and the PC interface, then the Garmin section of THIS forum is the place to look and ask for advice as that's where the Garmin experts are most likely to see it.
Posting in the Speed Camera Database section is perfectly likely to get a response, but maybe not as quickly, and I don't know the intricacies of the Garmin models myself.

I'm intrigued to know what exactly you chose to call me, if it was bad enough to censor, what on earth did I do to deserve that?
All it means though, is if you DO have any more questions that I am could have helped with, I'm kind of less likely to now....

Last edited by Andy_P on Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
kaiserb_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Icons? Reply with quote

Hi,

I've just joined after buying a nuvi 760. I'm using the Garmin POI Loader version of the database, but found that the pocketgps_uk_cameras.bmp file is 0 bytes - I've redownloaded the database several times and always the same - is this 'correct'? In the end I downloaded a different version of the database and copied a working camera .bmp file.

If it's intentional I'm going to look a right berk!

Cheers
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right. I'll see what i can do to get it fixed....

In the mean time you could download the consolidated version of the database (i think its better on the Nuvis than the Single File) and then rename the pocketgps_uk_gatso.bmp to pocketgps_uk_cameras.bmp and use that for now...
kaiserb_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since posting I've found Ash's excellent Camera Manager, so now I have speed symbols instead of camera icons anyway ;) But good to know I'm not daft.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original problem now fixed...
richardm001uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. I'm a fairly new subscriber with a Nuvi 660FM (which I can unhesitatingly recommend to anyone).

I notice that the submission page for new cameras also includes direction, but the POI files (both as CSV and in the GPX XML format) don't have any concept of this. As a result when I'm driving around (especially in East London on the A13 and North Circular) I get a lot of false alarms because of cameras on the other side of the road.

Is there any way to have the direction information included?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I'm afraid not. Garmin only allow the use of directional data with their own database. Even if it were included your Nuvi would ignore it.
richardm001uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:

I'm afraid not. Garmin only allow the use of directional data with their own database. Even if it were included your Nuvi would ignore it.

Hmmmm... the GPX schema appears to include the ability to specify the direction using the degreesType. (http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1/#type_degreesType). Has anyone tried including this in the file and uploading it into a Nuvi?
jengelbr1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Units for loading EU and UK cameras together Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

This is the oldest and most often repeated question on this forum I think Smile
If you ae getting 19mph insead of 30, it's a setting in POI Loader....and you've left it set to kilometers rather than miles per hour (19mph=30kmph).
You just have to start again, click the right setting in the drop-down box and reload all the pois.

more details HERE

I think it is clear about setting the units, and loading all the cameras at the same time.

But how does one handle the units to load both? The continental cameras are in metric units, and the UK cameras are in English. If one wants both cameras loaded on the Garmin (this weekend's trip included both the UK and the continent), I don't see a way to get this correct.

Garmin requires all files be loaded together, and one gets only one unit selection for the complete upload. I don't see that the UK cameras can be downloaded in metric units, or the continental cameras in English units.

So, the result for this weekend was correct continental cameras, but incorrect UK cameras because I chose metric units. Choosing the other units would simply reverse the problem.

Have others dealt with this issue? Thanks!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richardm001uk wrote:
PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:

Hmmmm... the GPX schema appears to include the ability to specify the direction using the degreesType. (http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1/#type_degreesType). Has anyone tried including this in the file and uploading it into a Nuvi?

if you read further into the gpx schema you only use the degreesType as part of 'magvar' (magnetic variance) ie in the waypoint you are describing it denotes the direction of the magnetic variance... it cannot be used to describe the bearing of a waypoint itself.

MaFt
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Units for loading EU and UK cameras together Reply with quote

jengelbr1 wrote:
Andy_P wrote:

This is the oldest and most often repeated question on this forum I think Smile
If you ae getting 19mph insead of 30, it's a setting in POI Loader....and you've left it set to kilometers rather than miles per hour (19mph=30kmph).
You just have to start again, click the right setting in the drop-down box and reload all the pois.

more details HERE

I think it is clear about setting the units, and loading all the cameras at the same time.

But how does one handle the units to load both? The continental cameras are in metric units, and the UK cameras are in English. If one wants both cameras loaded on the Garmin (this weekend's trip included both the UK and the continent), I don't see a way to get this correct.

Garmin requires all files be loaded together, and one gets only one unit selection for the complete upload. I don't see that the UK cameras can be downloaded in metric units, or the continental cameras in English units.

So, the result for this weekend was correct continental cameras, but incorrect UK cameras because I chose metric units. Choosing the other units would simply reverse the problem.

Have others dealt with this issue? Thanks!

hi and welcome!

there's a sticky about how to handle this here: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=57496

MaFt
alainbarbier
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mike and all, I have been reading this forum with interest. I just bought a Zumo 550 and downloaded the DB for Continental Europe. All went fine with the download. My only problem is that I see the icon for the camera when I am in the direct area but I do not hear any sound related to that alarm. What do I do wrong. Read all I could read about this but cannot find the answer. Can someone assist a newcomer?

Alain Barbier
A french canadian lost in Holland.....
gooner_47
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, this may be more appropriate for another forum - forgive me if so.

I have used the manual option in POILoader, and changed the 'Alert whenever you get close to a point' to 100ft. Obviously this is far closer than I actually want it - but I just wanted to test it was definitely working.

I've then removed any existing custom POI's from my Kenwood DNX8220BT, loaded the SD card with the POI's on and these have copied successfully to internal memory.

However, the unit alerts me much further away than 100ft from the camera. When I originally loaded the POI's I left the settings to 'Express' - the alerts for that first time seem to be around the same sort of distance as what I have now, even though I've specified 100ft in the setup.

I have no idea if this is of any help, but the very first alert I receive is a double beep, then leading up to the camera as I get closer I receive a few higher pitched single beeps. This seems to be different to the continuous alert which I did have turned on originally - I've now turned this off.

Hope this is (slightly) clear! Please let me know if I can explain anything in more detail. Any help much appreciated.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: