Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Royaltek Sapphire, IPAQ 3970 and TTN2
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Royaltek Sapphire, IPAQ 3970 and TTN2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peteoheat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Royaltek Sapphire, IPAQ 3970 and TTN2 Reply with quote

Musika,

Yes, I was happy with my purchase from handnav also, and posted to that effect in the "Retailers to buy from or avoid" forum.

Mark
peteoheat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Royaltek Sapphire, IPAQ 3970 and TTN2 Reply with quote

I've just bought the above and spent a few minutes setting it up. However TTN is showing my position as about 100yds from where I really am!

Does it take a while to get a better fix? I've left the setup running in the car for about 45mins with the saphire on the dash but the situation hasn't improved.

GPS shows a fix on between 7 & 10 sats, and a good link to the PDA.

Reading through other forum posts there seem to have been problems with datum mismatches between the GPS and TTN but as far as I can tell both the Sapphire and TTN only use WGS84.

I've tried planning a route and it says that the route will be calculated once GPS signal is reliable.

Please help
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Are you actually on the road or not - and have you tried driving just up the road? Particularly if you are parked just off the road, this can happen.

When you move off, you will probably find your position 'snaps' to the road you're on - amongst other things, TomTom Navigator seems to use your direction of travel to work out precisely where you are. Occasionally I get 'snapped' onto the next road to where I live at home - until I start moving, then the bearing sorts that out.

If that doesn't work out, try a different map segment - some have reported that this can change things a little.

Finally - I think your Sapphire will be, by default, in NMEA mode. I think it's a SiRF based device. If so, the current TomTom GPS driver doesn't work correctly in SiRF mode when you're west of Greenwich - though Dave has indicated this is believed to be fixed in the next release.

David
peteoheat
Occasional Visitor

Thanks DavidW. I got a chance to use it in anger over the weekend with a 125mile drive up to nottingham. As soon as I was off of the housing estate where I live everything was spot on.

I am sooooo impressed with TTN2. I just need to buy a car mount now. I've got a run down to cornwall coming up in a few weeks so I want to get a more permanent fixture in the car before then.

Mark
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Glad it worked for you - I thought it would sort itself out as soon as you started moving.

Mounts - there's loads of options. I'm using a Brodit mount and ProClip on my iPAQ 3970 based setup, which I'm delighted with. I'm also looking to buy an Arkon CM620 for temporary installation in other vehicles (my parents keep borrowing my setup and I'm fed up of jury-rigging front passenger seat mounts from a bungee cord, twist ties and corrugated cardboard to try to prevent my iPAQ from being shot onto the floor under heavy braking).

I recommend the Brodit mounts highly - there's a review of them on this site here. I must admit, though, that the Carcomm mounts mentioned recently on the news page sound very good, too!

David
peteoheat
Occasional Visitor

Thanks David,

I ordered a brodit mount for my A6 at the beginning of the week from handnav.co.uk. Only wished I'd read the read the "Retailers to buy from or avoid" forum first.

Oh well, we'll see what happens.

Mark
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

To be fair to Handnav, Chetan from Handnav has now entered the thread I started in the Retailers forum - and has showed a remarkable degree of openness. I sense he's really trying to improve things for people ordering Brodit products.

I do hope you get your mount and Proclip soon - they are great products!

David
musika
Occasional Visitor

I ordered a mount and proclip from Handnav and received it within a few days.I was impressed, bearing in mind some of the opinions expressed here.

m.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: