Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HP Discontinue Flagship hx4700 PocketPC
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HP Discontinue Flagship hx4700 PocketPC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul-m
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a HP 5550 and a HX4700. I must say the 4700 is so much better. The screen is the best ive seen and i simply couldnt use a lesser model now.

However, I got mine through my work and although its a great product i couldnt justfy the cost to buy one personally. The only real use is GPS navigation and RSS feed reading. Hardly worth £300+. Anything else and i just need a laptop.

Now if the 4700 had a small keyboard, built in GPS and GSM phone as well as memory in the MB's then it might be a serious device. Just a question of time i think. The forthcoming 6700 will go some way towards this i hope.

Just for info i used the ROM and BIOS upgrade and it seems much better as well as seemingly more memory.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul-m wrote:
Now if the 4700 had a small keyboard, built in GPS and GSM phone as well as memory in the MB's then it might be a serious device. Just a question of time i think. The forthcoming 6700 will go some way towards this i hope.

You're describing the HTC Universal! AKA the O2 Exec, Orange m5000, iMate Jasjar.

It's a WM2005 Phone, VGA Screen, full keyboard, rotatable screen etc and 3G. BT, WLAN, convertible between laptop and PDA format with a swivelling screen. Waiting for mine to arrive Crying or Very sad

TekGuru O2 XDA Review
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Waiting for mine to arrive Crying or Very sad
I look forward to seeing it :D

I have just bought a Logitech BT keyboard and mouse (MX 5000) and am experiencing crosstalk with my hx4700 when it is in its cradle charging. I always stop WiFi and BT before putting the iPAQ in the cradle. By a process of elimination I have tracked the problem down to the cable connecting the cradle to a USB socket on my PC. The crosstalk makes the active window pulse - by that I mean it toggles the active status of the window and the pulse rate is close to that of the chaging LED on the 4700. Moving the Logitech BT receiver away from the cradle makes now difference. I have also put a ferrite case around the USB cable - no difference.

When my h6340 is in its cradle I do not see the same problem. Any ideas please as I have little chance of getting a fix from HP in the light of their decision to shelve the 4700.

All very frustrating and Confused
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing All sorted now :D It would appear that my PC and iPAQ were trying to exchange information via Outlook and neither a soft reset on the iPAQ nor a reboot of the PC would clear it. As I use BT Yahoo Mail I rarely open Outlook, but for some reason I did today and the so called crosstalk was cleared. Phew!
wetsleet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is this all about? http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/sm/WF05a/21675-21679-21679-21679-297609-8115561.html

Looks like the HX4700 is alive and well again. Usually we get teaser campaigns about the birth of a product - HP seem to have invented (that is what they do, isn't it?) a new marketing paradigm - the end of life teaser.

Anyway, on to the meat. I am one of those still faithful to the Daddy of them all, the venerable Psion, in this case the Series 5. Maybe I just have a thing about obsolete PDA's, as I am now belatedly considering an HX4700. My difficulty is in giving up the big wide screen and magic keyboard of the Psion. The HX4700 has a half decent screen, hence the draw, but is a tad short of a keyboard. I guess my question to you old-timers is this:
How do you cope with just a stick as an input device? I mean, how do you do a spreadsheet, how do you enter someone's contact details, good gracious how do you do (I can't say "type") a Word document. I mean, the HX4700 has all those apps, but how on earth do you exploit them, with a stick? I have to know, because sadly Mr Potter never paid much attention to build quality and it is proving the undoing of my Series 5. Death, I fear, is near!
davewave1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone seen any news about a replacement for the hx4700?

Dell have had the x51v out for some time and their does not seem to be much news about a replacement for that either. Is the high end PPC market dying?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rumour is a WM5 version of the 4700 is imminent.
davewave1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Darren, I'll hold on for that :D
Mikeact
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
The rumour is a WM5 version of the 4700 is imminent.

Off topic, but how about a 'rumour' on the TT5 /TT6 upgrade ? Laughing
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikeact wrote:
Off topic, but how about a 'rumour' on the TT5 /TT6 upgrade ? Laughing

Indeed it is and sadly I'm under NDA so couldn't say, sorry Sad
mrg2003
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:48 am    Post subject: 4700 wm5 Reply with quote

I've downgraded back to 2003SE, as wm5 slowed the device down and kept on crashing.
Noony
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to own a HX4700 and I nearly did the same thing, however, if you google a bit you will find some registry tweaks that might make everything good. The first thing to do is switch off error reporting in the settings/system tab, this makes an immmediate difference.

Just thought I would mention this in case you still wanted to try WM5 again. I personally would never go back to 2003SE I had too many crashes that lost me data.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: