Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman iCN 550
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman iCN 550
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kasparhauser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Navman iCN 550 Reply with quote

The Tm traffic module features a 3 foot FM aerial, why on earth did Navman think that this was a good idea?

Would an internal tmc module not have been a better idea? Navigon's new GPS receivers have gone along this route a far more compact solution, pity the Navigon units the size of a shoe box though. 8O
buckrogers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: iCN550 Reply with quote

Does anyone know if this unit is battery powered and rechargable?

It would be an advantage if it was self-powered, if nothing more than to bypass the splash screen at startup, but a quick "On" time would be great (quick "OFF" too) Its amazing how much time is lost just getting the unit up and running and hiding it away when you leave your car.
buckrogers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: 3-Foot Aerial & Battery Power Reply with quote

It seems that the iCN 550 is battery powered.

Also, having spoken to one supplier today I have been assured that an aerial is not required.

I've talked myself into buying one of these - looks like I'm going to be one of the 1st to try it - Anyone else got any experience with it yet?
buckrogers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: iCN550 (or is it iCN 550?) - Just arrived! Reply with quote

Well somehow I've managed to obtain a unit from e-bowl.co.uk and have it my hands right now! After traling the web these were the only people who had stock and good to their word one arrived the next day - well done e-bowl!

I will be testing it real soon but I wonder has anyone else had one or am I the first?
uksatnavltd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: In stock too! Reply with quote

We have significant supplies of the iCN550TMC in stock too, available on next-day delivery. They are fabulous systems and come highly recommended.

The iCN550 with TMC is still scheduled for 7-10 days time.

Details at http://uksatnavltd.com/product_info.php/products_id/68

Cheers, Stuart
http://www.uksatnavltd.com
08450 SATNAV
barryp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a picture anywhere of what the TMC unit looks like?

Is it something to go on the dashboard? The Boot (trunk if you are from the other side of the pond), a plug in unit (to the 550), cabled?

Barry
buckrogers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: iCN550 TMC Module Reply with quote

barryp wrote:
Is there a picture anywhere of what the TMC unit looks like?

Is it something to go on the dashboard? The Boot (trunk if you are from the other side of the pond), a plug in unit (to the 550), cabled?

Barry

The TMC module is very small, perhaps about the size of a USB Pen drive that kind of size. It connects between the power supply and the 550 and also has a short USB cable that plugs into the 550 and another jack-type plug that connects the FM aerial wire. The whole thing tucks into a purpose moulded recess in the back of the cradle and so is pretty much hidden from view.

The aerial cable has two small suction-cups that adhere to the inside of the windscreen and basically stretches it between them. Its ok for a trial installation but I'm sure better solutions will be found by users, after all its only a wire, nothing special.

Smile
barryp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply.

Sounds a good solution, how practical is it to remove the GPS with the TMC module attached regularly? i.e. whenever you park the car up when its not in a garage, say two or three times a week.

Are the connectors screwed together or can they just be docked and undocked?

Wouldn't want anyone wandering of with it Sad

Barry
buckrogers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: iCN550 TMC module Reply with quote

Well it’s not something that I would remove on the grounds that it looks just like a connector with a few free cables and I don’t think most people would take the risk for something like that. It’s very easy to un-plug and remove if you need to.

Actually I don't use the mount that came with the 550, originally I had an iCN630 and bought a dash mount for it. This I modified to adapt the 550 and yes it is very different, but it works OK. Even so I still managed to tuck the TMC module behind it and secure it quit nicely, all that I'm left with now is to tidy up the cables, hide the aerial cable and somehow work out how to link in the audio-out to the Aux-in on my VW Golf's Gamma radio.
barryp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good, now to save up my pennies to get one :-)

Barry
barryp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of other questions on the iCN550 and TMC unit before I take the plunge

- Can you get information on what the traffic jams are being caused by in text format or just by the icons being displayed on the map? i.e. "traffic jam caused by 2 lane closure of A2" or "fuel lorry explosion on M1"

- Is it possible to set the iCN550 to automatically select the best route avoiding traffic jams or do you have to manually request a re route when a traffic jam is shown on the route?

Barry
buckrogers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barryp wrote:
I have a couple of other questions on the iCN550 and TMC unit before I take the plunge

- Can you get information on what the traffic jams are being caused by in text format or just by the icons being displayed on the map? i.e. "traffic jam caused by 2 lane closure of A2" or "fuel lorry explosion on M1"

- Is it possible to set the iCN550 to automatically select the best route avoiding traffic jams or do you have to manually request a re route when a traffic jam is shown on the route?

Barry

Alert warning symbols are displayed on-screen if there is one that affects your route. Pre-recorded voice prompts are also give describing the type of delay that has occured, e.g. "There is slow moving traffic on your route" though I cant remember them all they are fairly descriptive. But specific information about each hold-up i.e. "explosion" I dont believe is available via TMC, only the category that it falls in.

The ICN can be set to automatically choose an alternative route.

I have to say I do have serious issues with the iCN550 but until I have a conversation with Navman I will refrain from posting them here.
Fluffy_Clouds
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Any update on the serious issues you had with the iCN550? Im looking at getting one but would also like to add the maps of Australia if possible.
buckrogers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Serious Issues Reply with quote

Fluffy_Clouds wrote:
Hi. Any update on the serious issues you had with the iCN550? Im looking at getting one but would also like to add the maps of Australia if possible.

Sorry for the delay, would anyone like a list - there's no pint in waiting for Navman (maybe we should call them "Nafman"?), they take too long....
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Serious Issues Reply with quote

buckrogers wrote:
Fluffy_Clouds wrote:

Sorry for the delay, would anyone like a list - there's no pint in waiting for Navman (maybe we should call them "Nafman"?), they take too long....

Can you post it here?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: