Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - About to buy Navman
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

About to buy Navman

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brentford
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: About to buy Navman Reply with quote

Hi all, I am about to buy a gps for the car. Although I use a Palm 515, I have concluded from all that I read that the time to upgrade to an iPAQ is now - prob a 3970. I would prefer to buy the new HP iPAQ which is a slimmer unit but know that this is not currently compatible with Navman. Does anyone know if plans are afoot? Secondly, I know there is a GPS available that goes down to ordinance survey maps - suitable for hill walking. Is this the case with Navman? Finally, I am planning to fit this in a '02 model Nissan Primera. Is anyone aware of any compatibility issues with this vehicle?

Many thanks for any replies!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: About to buy Navman Reply with quote

I know Navman are working on this issue, but I don't know anymore than this at present.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Anthony,

I'm not sure which iPAQ you're thinking of. Only 3000 series and 5000 series iPAQs can take expansion packs, such as the Navman sleeve. The low and mid range iPAQs do not support expansion packs.

If you are thinking about a 2210, then you could opt for a CompactFlash GPS (which would provide pretty similar functionality to the Navman sleeve on a 3000 or 5000 series iPAQ) and put your maps on a SD card. A Bluetooth GPS is also an option with a 2210.

A second issue is whether new Navman drivers are needed for the new (Windows Mobile for) Pocket PC 2003 operating system, and/or the new iPAQ 5150 and 5550 models.

My personal preference is not to buy a sleeve, but instead to buy CompactFlash. That way, you have a much wider range of compatible Pocket PCs.

If you choose an iPAQ that can take expansion packs, but doesn't have a CompactFlash slot built in, you can buy a basic CompactFlash expansion pack cheaply from Expansys. There's even the Memplug dual CF expansion pack that will provide two CF slots (one memory only) which, when teamed with a CF GPS, is practically equivalent to a Navman sleeve. It is true, though, that at least one CompactFlash GPS (the popular Holux GM-270) has compatibility issues with the Memplug.

All that said, the Navman products remain a very popular choice, and you have to buy Navman hardware if you want SmartST Pro.

If you are serious about using your setup for hill walking, you will need at minimum a waterproofing solution like an Aquapac, though more realistically something like the Otter products reviewed on this site here. A CompactFlash based setup should fit into an Aquapac, but is most unlikely to fit in the Otter products or the HP rugged case. As a result, you may be better with a Bluetooth based setup (putting the Bluetooth GPS in a separate small Otter box or similar). Alternatively, I think it might be possible to fit a 3000 or 5000 series iPAQ with a Navman sleeve into an Otter box - particularly into the new version of the Otter box as it has a deep back option available (check with Otter exactly what is and isn't possible if you're interested in this). Your intention to go hill walking with your setup means a solution using a CF GPS may not be suitable for your needs.

I'm using a Haicom HI-303MMF with a suitable expansion pack on my 3970. I like it both for its tiltable antenna and its ability to work as a GPS mouse, albeit without serial input in mouse mode, so you can only configure it in CF mode. Despite the attractions of a CF GPS in terms of compatibility with a far wider range of Pocket PCs and laptops (if necessary using a PC Card / CompactFlash adapter), it may not be the right option for you though. As I'm a wheelchair user I have limited need for a ruggedisable setup!

For topographical maps, such as Ordnance Survey maps, there are several options - amongst them Fugawi UK and Memory Map. Look at the reviews on this site in the topographical section. I don't think Navman compatibility is a problem so long as you have the Navman drivers installed, but it is always wise to check.

David
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

Anthony,

If you want to go walking for more than 2 hours then forget the NavMan because that is about the best you will achieve using a 3900 and with the sleeve.

A slightly better option would be to go for the CF plus expansion jacket with a CF GPS device. This has an additional battery which will charge the main battery and the CF card and help prolong the useable time. This works differently on the 5400 series and only powers the CF card unless the PDA is switched off in which case it trickle charges the main battery.

My personal preference is to use the CF plus on a 3800/3900 iPaq with no CF either card or GPS, and using a BT GPS and SD or main memory to store the maps. This I have found to be the most effective use of the iPaq battery which is the critical element in this setup. You should get 4.5 to 5 hours from this.

brentford
Occasional Visitor

Thats all extremely helpful thanks folks. But would you all concur that the 3970 iPAQ + 3450 Navman is a good bet for a car system that works off a PDA?

Many thanks...Anthony
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

The Navman is certainly one option. I think both Mike and I are leaning towards either a CompactFlash (possibly with the CompactFlash Expansion Pack Plus, so you have the extra battery) or Bluetooth setup for what you propose to do, as they will give you greatest autonomy away from the car. The two drawbacks of the Navman for your proposed solution are that you won't get the best possible battery life away from external power, and only the top range iPAQs will take expansion packs, which may limit your future options (though I'd agree that the 3970 is a great buy now and it does take expansion packs).

I'd try to weigh what software you want at this point. If you fancy SmartST Pro, then you have to buy Navman. If you fancy TomTom Navigator 2, you can buy pretty much any GPS hardware you like.

I'm using an iPAQ 3970, Brodit mount, TomTom Navigator 2 and a Haicom HI-303MMF in an expansion pack. I'm delighted with my setup. Your mileage may (literally) vary (if you choose different software or routing options to mine!).

I think between Mike's post and mine, we've given you a pretty good feel for the various options. In the end you just have to choose one! Good luck with it.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: