Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Best for Motorbike CBR 600 FY
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Best for Motorbike CBR 600 FY
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Best for Motorbike CBR 600 FY Reply with quote

My turn to ask a question, i have recently passed my Direct Access course and now have a CBR 600 FY and at present i use my PDA for music and satnav. Its great for short distance runs but i would like to maybe go into Europe and want somthing i can see, alot of people like the Garmin units, can you tell me what is so good about them? I am going to test the tomtom rider when it comes into stock but was wonder what you's have on your bikes.
Nords
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steven,

I only have a Geodesy on my GSXR (for accident blackspot warning only of course) but I have a friend with a Goldwing who uses a Garmin III (just changed to streetmate) with a custom mount. It is powered from the bike and (probably the most important reason) is waterproof hence can live on handlebar just in front of the front brake cylinder. He uses it to check where the next turning is rather than a full sat nav system.

I wonder if it is popular because BMW have it as an option and bikers in general just follow that lead? I wonder how many bikers there are on the forum and if some, whether they would be preapred to use their PDAs on their bikes on a regular basis?
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for your comments, i have noticed thoses BMW bikers (cult biker gang Laughing ). I think they are a few bikers on this site and it would be good to get feedback from them. I use a cheap com system and plug into my PDA to listen to music and if i don’t know where i am going i will turn tomtom on, i do use it for speed camera’s also (but got a fright when i put the warning to a police siron and nearly jumped out of the seat). It will do me for the mean time and when the rider is out i am sure i will get a shot of it and let you's know what i think.

Hos is your gsxr i was gonna get a gsxr 600 but heard they are not the best for low speed (commuting through traffic) but great at top end.
Nords
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off topic slightly but......

It is fantastic!

Bought from Crescent as a JR rep and I wouldn't swop for a K5 or anything else. Possibly an Infostrada 988R but nothing else!

This is fourth gear at RAF Odiham so it goes okay. www.gsxrthou.co.uk has so vids if you are interested. The odiham ones even have the hardwired geodesy cable flapping about!

Cheers!
Big-Ed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just bought a garmin i3 yesterday, after reading the reviews on here. I was also thinking of the bike when i bought it as its so small, ok its not water proof but i will just have to get lost again in the rain. I will let you know how i get on mounting it after I have and given it a good test run. The suction cup is very strong so one option is to just stick it to the rev counter :D
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your feedback guys and nice bikes, i think i will stick to my PDA option until the Rider comes out and see what its like.
frootloop
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clap Congrats on passing your direct access steven. Im currently waiting for a spare week to do my course having recently passed my cbt and theory..... tired of riding small bikes now Sad

I dont know if this may be of use but RAM Mounting Systems make PDA mounts for bikes etc - as for waterproofing, im not sure if a waterproof case could be used in combination with a mount

No more getting lost
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for that i had a 125 Varadero for a year (i think i did the right thing with small bikes for a year) had 3 incidents 1 my fault. Watch you dont pickup bad habbits thats the only thing, remember the life savers Laughing
frootloop
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StevenGourlay wrote:
remember the life savers Laughing

yup - i hear ya..... i think i overdo the lifesavers as i find myself doing them while im in the car or driving my works van (tesco .com delivery driver) Laughing Out Loud

actually i dont think its a bad thing for all drivers to do lifesavers..... im sure it would save a lot of lives

No more getting lost
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely test the RIDER, I have one and its superb. I've recently returned to bikes after a 7 year absence.

Keep yer eyes peeled for an ex TVP R1100RT, still in single seat setup ;)

BTW, I'm an ex-copper, road the infamous Norton Interpol, Bimmer R80's and the Honda Pan's. Sadly fu**ed my leg big style in a car crash (as well as breaking my spine) so it no longer bends much past 90 degrees hence sit up and beg tourers are all I can get on nowadays Crying or Very sad
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to hear about your leg and back, its the best thing i have done so far my incidents involved me grabbing the front break to hard in the rain and down i went, second was a black taxi doing a u turn infornt of a truck and hitting me side on when i was filtering (painfull) and the most recent car hit me in back when i was waiting at lights Laughing Still not put off tho.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I smashed my kneecap riding a 50cc when I was 16, granny turned across my path. That paid for a 250cc later on! Apart from that all my injuries came from one car smash, never a problem on a bike in 15 yrs!
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a Garmin GPS-V then a Quest on my CBR600FX for a few years now. Good points of the Garmin are that it's waterproof and the battery lasts about 12-18 hours which is long enough for any ride I would be doing.

Disadvantages are that the speed camera database support in the Quest is poor and there is no sound output without buying Garmin's bike mount which is expensive and not secure enough (in my opinion).

I don't really need the voice directions though, I just get a feel for the distance to next and set it so that the backlight comes on when approaching a corner.

It's great to be able to plan a route around some nice, um, scenic roads on the PC before you go and upload it to the GPS.

Definately recommend RAM mounts, they are cheap, secure and work quite well. I use a U-Bolt mount on the left handlebar.

As for your choice of bike, I think you have chosen well, they are a good all rounder equally at home on the track, touring, commuting and with reasonable pillion accomodation.

The GSXRs, are nice but I found that the handlebars are too low and seat too high for my liking - I'm a 6 footer and commute every day so it would drive me mad pretty quickly. Tried an R1 and they go like hell but I wouldn't want to ride one in the winter, there's just too much power.

Hey, Darren what about a bikes forum where we can discuss general biking things like mounting systems, favourite GPS units, headphone/autocom connections and other problems unique to bikes?
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah good idea so we dont bore people with bike talk
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Hey, Darren what about a bikes forum where we can discuss general biking things like mounting systems, favourite GPS units, headphone/autocom connections and other problems unique to bikes?

Good idea, I'll get one set up Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: