Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI Camera Alerts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI Camera Alerts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andspenka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: POI Camera Alerts Reply with quote

Hiya guys,

I've just got my i3 the other day and been trying it out over the last few days. I've done the software update and also uploded the speed cameras, whilst out today I went past 2 speed cameras, which it alerted me to, however the alert speeds were wrong. I was in a 50 and it was alerting me we were in a 30, then a little further along the same road it changes to a 40 and once again it was alerting me I was in a 30. Obviously they've just been set wrong but as they're all just Lat/Long when you look in Excel, how do I know which ones I need to change?

Another thing I noticed was the McDonalds, as I'm just experimenting I knew where I wanted to go, but when I clicked onto McDonalds some of them are place names and some just say McDonalds so it's kinda guess work as to which I needed to select. Ideally they should all just be place names as you've already selected the McDonalds folder so that's all that should be in there.

I'm guessing all these can be changed but it's going to be painstaking to edit them all, and I'm not sure where to get all the coordinates from.

If anyone has any idea's or suggestions?

Cheers
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: POI Camera Alerts Reply with quote

andspenka wrote:

Another thing I noticed was the McDonalds, as I'm just experimenting I knew where I wanted to go, but when I clicked onto McDonalds some of them are place names and some just say McDonalds so it's kinda guess work as to which I needed to select.

easy way: if you have gps on and it knows where you are just select 'custom poi' etc and it will show the nearest one(s) - you can select and view map to see if it's the one you want. OR if, eg you're heading to leeds you can select the city as leeds then select 'find nearby' then get the list of mcd's in that area. the idea of the gps is to find places you don't know where you're going hence if you know which mcdonalds you want to go to then just go there!!

it would be painstaking to go through the whole list to get addresses/descriptions of every single poi... it took me about 4 hours to do this for the mossirons one - i couldn't be bothered after that with BK and McD's etc!

there are some website (such as streetmap.co.uk i think) where you can put in the lat/long and it will show it on a map for you and then find the nearest town etc etc...

andspenka wrote:

Ideally they should all just be place names as you've already selected the McDonalds folder so that's all that should be in there.

not neccesarily - yes, if you are looking for a mcdonalds, no if you are in a unfamiliar town (e.g. on holiday) and just want to know what is nearby - you'd select find nearby and then all categories. if you just had the place names and not the description (i.e. mcdonalds) you wouldn't know what was actually nearby, just what they were called.

re: speed camera's, if you know where they were find the road on streetmap.co.uk, find the co-ordinates (there's a small link at the bottom to convert between various types of co-ordinates) - find something close to this in the csv file (within 2 decimal places) then find the co-ords that are in the csv - if these point to the same place (ie the same speed cam) then change the value after the @ to 50(e.g. GATSO:6388@30) and help us all out by emailing the lat/long and speed cam number to pocketgps and it will get added to the next update. thinking about it, you could prolly find which entry it is by finding the area on the i3 where it was and do a find nearby and find speed cams and get the name of the camera.

hope that helps! and sorry for boring you...

MaFt
RichardCr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: POI Camera Alerts Reply with quote

andspenka wrote:
Hiya guys,

I've just got my i3 the other day and been trying it out over the last few days. I've done the software update and also uploded the speed cameras, whilst out today I went past 2 speed cameras, which it alerted me to, however the alert speeds were wrong. I was in a 50 and it was alerting me we were in a 30, then a little further along the same road it changes to a 40 and once again it was alerting me I was in a 30. Obviously they've just been set wrong but as they're all just Lat/Long when you look in Excel, how do I know which ones I need to change?
selected the McDonalds folder so that's all that should be in there.

I found a similar instance near where I live

If you can remember where the cameras are, find a location nearby with GPS switched off and 'view map' and you should see the icon - if not, use 'find nearby' to locate the cameras. They are listed in order of proximity. Each camera has its own reference number which you can then pass on to the guys at PocketGPSworld
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: POI Camera Alerts Reply with quote

RichardCr wrote:
Each camera has its own reference number which you can then pass on to the guys at PocketGPSworld

and me and i'lll change it on the i3 one asap ;) i know there was mention of pocketgpsworld doing the files for the garmins but in the mean-time i'm happy to sort these out if people still want them. you won't have to wait until the speed cam update file then

MaFt
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt,

In the last release(3.084) I included a gpx file, of the single file version, formatted for the iQue. Do you need a different format for the i3?

Richard
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt you is the man who knows all (i3 guru) ...any idea why the speed camera alert go's off at 31 mph in a 50 mph speed zone...
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:
MaFt,

In the last release(3.084) I included a gpx file, of the single file version, formatted for the iQue. Do you need a different format for the i3?

Richard

I can now answer my own question after reading the POILoader help file. Our existing CSV file format of

Longitude,Latitude,ID@speed

is OK.

Richard
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:

I can now answer my own question after reading the POILoader help file. Our existing CSV file format of

Longitude,Latitude,ID@speed

is OK.

correct! for the other poi's i've been using poiedit to convert ov2's to .csv then have to edit manually in excel to get the right columns etc.

zogman: (guru? me?!! Laughing Out Loud) the speed might be set in the csv file as being 30mph? find the name in the csv file and find the name - see if it is GATSO:xxxx@30 or @50? let pocketgps know that it needs changing.

that's all i can think of...

MaFt
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS - Oldie, the only reason i've used the 'other .csv' files and taken them out of the pocketgps download was to simplify it for the garmin i3 users and also bundled it with some others in i3 format. obviously at the time of the last speed cam update the i3 hadn't been released so there were no instructions for what i3 users should use. i presume you'll be sticking a note in the next 'help' file giving instructions? it also uses the bmp files but a couple needed editing to work with the i3. if you download my zip (http://MaFt.co.uk/misc/GarminPOIs.zip) you can see how they are. i renamed them files (e.g. "zSpeed Camera - UK.csv") mainly so it looks nicer in the list and so they are at the end of the list (hence the 'z') and you don't have to scroll through them all to find the tesco poi's!!

MaFt
andspenka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers MaFt, very informative and not boring at all.

Quote:
the idea of the gps is to find places you don't know where you're going hence if you know which mcdonalds you want to go to then just go there!!

Yeah I know that, but I'm still in the "Kid with a new toy stage" Laughing Out Loud.

I've looked at Streetmap and I seen how to get the Lat/Long, I was looking last night at that.

Thanks to all you other guys for your input too, I will send all info I get once I find out which ones are incorrect.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: