Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Streetpilot i3 - Software Enhancement Requests
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Streetpilot i3 - Software Enhancement Requests
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cuppa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Garmin Streetpilot i3 - Software Enhancement Requests Reply with quote

Thought I'd start this thread so we can list any 'enhancements' we'd like to see for the software. The support staff I've mailed on a few occasions have been very helpful thus far - a single thread we could point them to for software enhancement requests would be useful.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

My first request:

I'd like to be able to have an option in the settings menu which toggles POI icons on or off in the navigational view. Currently only the speed cameras are shown (and only if speeding on certain settings). - please correct me if there is a way to do this.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there was a mention of this on another thread - garmin stated that 'the general consensus was that showing all the poi icons on the map obscured the view'

depends how many you have i guess! if you go to 'view map' it shows all of them that you have loaded.

MaFt
Cuppa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
there was a mention of this on another thread - garmin stated that 'the general consensus was that showing all the poi icons on the map obscured the view'

depends how many you have i guess! if you go to 'view map' it shows all of them that you have loaded.

MaFt

Exactly, that's why I want a menu option to enable them as I don't share the general consensus. View map does show them, but I don't have that on when I'm driving and it would ne nice for a KFC icon to pop up now and again :D
attic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree - would like to be able to toggle them on and off by POI type...
Cuppa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've mailed Greg at Garmin Europe to see whether this would be feasible (sure it is) and also likely (not sure)?
danoli
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repeated from this this post

I have found no way of displaying the current speed when navigating, it does show in the map view when not navigating.

Voice prompt only says "1st" or "2nd" whether it is the first or second turning on the left or right or junction off a roundabout.

Viewing favourite finds (waypoints) lists them by proximity, I cannot find a way to sort them alphabetically (this is a big let down with potentially 500 waypoints)

Waypoint names can only be input in correct case, i.e. first letter capital, I cannot find a way of forcing all uppercase or lowercase names. [/url]
dougconran
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea for a thread.

My wishlist would be:-

1. non-reflective screen

2. Display current speed (and direction of next turn) in the navigation map. This can be shown at the top of the screen in palce of the current road name/number.

3. A means of being able to manually move a cursor to select a specific point on the map. I would like this because (a) some post codes are wrong (eg IP29 4AF) and (b) I sometimes want to go somewhere that is not a post code plus a number (eg a forest walk, or a business). I think this can be done by adding an additional function to the menu set displayed when a destination has been entered. On selection you could then use the wheel to move the cursor up and down and then toggle it to switch to a left and right motion.

Doug
danoli
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dougconran wrote:
Good idea for a thread.

My wishlist would be:-

1. non-reflective screen

2. Display current speed (and direction of next turn) in the navigation map. This can be shown at the top of the screen in palce of the current road name/number.

3. A means of being able to manually move a cursor to select a specific point on the map. I would like this because (a) some post codes are wrong (eg IP29 4AF) and (b) I sometimes want to go somewhere that is not a post code plus a number (eg a forest walk, or a business). I think this can be done by adding an additional function to the menu set displayed when a destination has been entered. On selection you could then use the wheel to move the cursor up and down and then toggle it to switch to a left and right motion.

Doug

It is a good idea to start wish list threads but some of the things you mention would be imposible to 'add on' to the i3. The reflective screen is a physical replacement that could only be incorporated onto a new model. The moving pointer would not really be possible as the scroll wheel is up down only so you would not be able to move left or right with it unles you somehow could toggle up/down to left/right with the menu button.

I would like to see the custom fields when navigating though.
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with all respect to the postees of this thread...this is a budget £199 (or less) auto gps....surely the features it already has are enough.if you want more features you's pays the money and gets a c310 or c330 or tom tom etc
danoli
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zogman wrote:
with all respect to the postees of this thread...this is a budget £199 (or less) auto gps....surely the features it already has are enough.if you want more features you's pays the money and gets a c310 or c330 or tom tom etc

Disagree. The firmware in a GPS is the 'key' to many improvments.
I have participated in many 'wish list' threads that are frequented by Garmin and those close to Garmin, and the do take note. I have seen many enhancements to the GPSV and GPSMAP196 that first appeared as a forum wish list.

We are the customers, if we say to Garmin, "you know, the i3 is a fantastic GPS but would be great if it could only do xyz" if it is possible to add the feature in a future firmware upgrade and Garmin think the general population may benefit and or buy the unit where otherwise they would not then it makes good business sense.

Just my 0.02 worth.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danoli wrote:
The moving pointer would not really be possible as the scroll wheel is up down only so you would not be able to move left or right with it

scroll wheel = up/down
press 'power' button (that has no other function at any point and is pretty redundant unless you hold it down for 2 secs) to switch between horizontal / vertical movement with wheel.

it can be done, just depends whether garmin want to ;) they may leave it out to persuade people to upgrade to their higher model

MaFt
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danoli..i conceed that a few firmware improvements will help garmin broaden their sales (as it happens garmin do a very good job in listening to customers and sometimes implementing changes quickly) but physical changes like 'non reflective screens' and 'toggle nobs' will start to outprice this unit...remember the cheapest tom tom gps i think is about £300/350...
dougconran
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with danoli, this is a wishlist, ie what we would like to see. If a wish is too expensive then it won't happen, if it isn't it might, so - no harm in saying what we'd like.

Regarding panning around the screen, yes I agree that the wheel would move a cursor in an up and down direction but it (the cursor) can be made to move left and right with an up and down wheel uisng software, not entirely intuitive, I agree but, like you say, this is a budget model and you can't have everything. The point about a moving cursor is that it is something that can be done entirely by software and so should be a relatively straight-forward enhancement.

Like anyone else, Garmin will have to do continual product development in order to stay ahead of the competition (where they are at the moment but how long before Tom Tom brings out a budget model?) and software enhancements are an easy win.

That's my pen'worth, anyway.

Doug
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin will look at some of the wishes and chuckle to themselves before politely saying "NO!" but others may cause them to think "Hmmm, that would be cool and easy to implement" so your wish might just come true!

Hey, it costs nothing to ask! :D
danoli
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zogman wrote:
danoli..i conceed that a few firmware improvements will help garmin broaden their sales (as it happens garmin do a very good job in listening to customers and sometimes implementing changes quickly) but physical changes like 'non reflective screens' and 'toggle nobs' will start to outprice this unit...remember the cheapest tom tom gps i think is about £300/350...

This is the same point I made earlier.
They are not going to ship screen replacement kits and certainly not offer a recall service to replace the screen even for a charge.

You can buy anti reflective film that you could stick over the screen if it causes a problem though.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: