Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Advice Needed ... Looking to upgrade
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice Needed ... Looking to upgrade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaronj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Advice Needed ... Looking to upgrade Reply with quote

Hello, I currently use a laptop running Navigator 4 software and a haicom wired reciever for my gps requirements. Now this system works and has been a great servant to me for the last year, but the time has come to upgrade due to the fact I want a system that can be transfered from my work vehicle to my private vehicle easier than unplugging and urouteing all my wires for my power supply and gps reviever etc for my laptop, and the laptop on the seat is becoming a pain blah blah blah

Now I can see I can get a dedicated system in a tom tom go or similar but with me also using diaries and a mobile etc I thought why not see if I can get these in an all in one.

So can somebody advise me on what is available to me as I am struggling with the specs of pda's etc I seen in somebody's sig nature on here that there getting a IPAQ6515 which seems to have the all in one phone/pda/gps ? are there others like this ?

Little help needed

Great site and keep up the good work

Aaron
aaronj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone ?
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Ipaq 6340, which is a PDA with a Quad band phone, Wifi and Bluetooth and am very pleased with it. It is a bit bigger than some of the more compact PDAs and a lot bigger than some of the smaller phones but it is smaller and lighter than carrying both a phone and a PDA. The 6515 is about the same size but a bit lighter. It does not have Wifi but does have a GPS receiver. I use TT5 with mine which runs well

I have a Parrot 3300 combined BT car phone kit and BT sat nav receiver in my car fully wired in with a Brodit mount. This is great because the sound for both the phone and the sat nav goes through the car audio so I can use the volume controls on the steering wheel. When I get a route direction or phone call the audio mutes. If I am using the sat nav and get an incoming call the phone comes to the fore and the sat nav keeps working in the bakground until I hang up.

All in all I am very pleased with the combination.
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really all depends as you will have to my some sacrifices if you want a PDA type GPS system. The PDA offers a lot of different functions from calander, contacts, emails, videos etc but will not run as fast / reliable as your standalone units. At present I have and I-mate Jam
http://www.totalpda.co.uk/I-Mate-Jam-GSM-GPRS-Sim-Free-Unlocked-Pocket-PC.aspx

And I also run TomTom Nav 5 BT

http://www.totalpda.co.uk/Tomtom-Navigator-5-Bluetooth-Kit.aspx

I use the PDA as a PDA/Phone more than I use it as GPS, don’t get me wrong when I use GPS its fine but if you want SatNav every day then I would say a dedicated system would be more suited for you. And maybe somthing like a smartphone for your diary and contacts???

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: