Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Route errors
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Route errors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WELLHEADS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Route errors Reply with quote

Has anyone had problems with the Navman 510 giving wrong routes.
Mine often tells me to take a road which is sometimes a dead end and recently took me on an unsurfaced road when it had been programmed not to.
On many occasions i have been told to take an exit which was clearly the wrong one making the thing useless to me.
This is after trying " shortest" " quickest" " more freeways "
etc!

Sad

(edited to stop the "shouting")
dakar4x4
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey... Don't SHOUT, we can hear you fine ;-)

As for routing, yeah, I've had similiar weird experiences with my 510. One was I think partially down to my own doings, trying to route to a POI which was not on a road, basically a Geocache... Obviously the unit struggled a bit and tried it's best, trying to send me down 'PRIVATE' and gated roads, however the weird bit was to get to this route it wanted to take me back from where I was into town (some 5 miles away), before then bringing me right back up the same road.

The second problem was not down to this as I was simply navigating between my current location to home. Quickest and evoid unsurfaced were both options I had pre-set but the Navman took me off the main A-Class road, down down a B road, before going down a track that had grass growing down the middle of it, then down another lane that was only one car wide (meeting a car coming the other way caused for much manouvering), before returning me back to the original A road just a couple of miles further on from where we left it.

The final problem is I think down to a lack of roads in the database... Being told to take the first exit on a roundabout when a quick look at the display shows to be almost straighton, but when you reach the roundabout in question their are several other exits (A roads too) before the exit the Navman actually thinks is the first.

These were frustrating times with my Navman, but they are heavily out weighed by the times it has got me to my destination with no problems!

I still run with my Etrex GPS in the vehicle and often have that setup to point directly at my destination, giving me a bit more information in order to vito the Navman if I think I know better... Rolling Eyes

Jon.
WELLHEADS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to dakar4x4 for his help
[SORRY for the shouting i had left the caps on in error( OLD MAN-- BAD EYES
RonS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the 510 routing is any worse than those obtained from any of the on-line mapping web-sites. All have given me weird directions at some time or other. The most common fault I have with my 510 is being told to turn right (or left) at a junction (voice instruction) while the display map is clearly showing straight-on.

I guess you just have to use some common sense and not follow it too blindly. Admittedly this can be a problem if you have no knowledge of the area. At least it doesn't get angry if you ignore it and choose your own directions. I find it very good at making the best of the situation by re-routing you to your destination from wherever you happen to be.

Ron
resuj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
THIS IS AFTER TRYING " SHORTEST" " QUICKEST" " MORE FREEWAYS "
ETC!

I had similar problems with routing, so what I tend to do is look at the route before I start off. And may I suggest to set your routing to this: quickest, "less often" motorways and "more often" urban roads". I think this setting gives you a bit of shortest and quickest routes. You should also bear in mind that the program does not take into account the traffic lights in your route and takes into account just a few meters of a certain road compared to the other.
And thre is another problem with the iCN which I noticed as some have in this forum, although the routing is correct it gives you the wrong road description(top part of screen) for your next turn. Try to use the "next turn screen"(second page) to see accurately where it wants you to turn especially on roundabouts.
Hope this helps.
dakar4x4
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting to hear others comments about watching the screen, as indeed I do with my unit, rather than just relying on the voice commands.

My 510 was given to me for free by my neighbour, he had bought it to help him driving around as his eyesight is not fantastic. He vision is still well within the requirements of being able to drive, but he is concerned about speed cameras and especially travelling anywhere he was not familiar with. For the Navman, he could not read the screen without reverting to reading glasses, which are not suitable for mid to long vision as when driving. So he tried using the unit, that he setup before the trip began, relying solely on the voice prompt and as we have said above you cannot rely on this. After several failed trips and further assitance in setting it up from the supplier and indeed myself, he gave up and replaced it with a voice only system run in conjunction with an embedded cell phone and linked into the road traffic cameras. This other system he is now very happy with and at the press of a button he talks to an operator that knows instantly where he is and will then download a route to his chosen destination to his system. The interesting thing is that this other system does not seem to suffer from the routing weirdness we have been discussing above and I wonder if this down to superior base mapping information?

J
resuj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The interesting thing is that this other system does not seem to suffer from the routing weirdness we have been discussing above and I wonder if this down to superior base mapping information?

I think it all comes back to........wait for it.........TELEATLAS! Would it be interesting to see same brand of sat nav with different kinds of mapping data? I hope teleatlas is sorting their data for when it comes to upgrading someday, I might consider steering away from them.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: