Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Off Line Traffic News - Traffic POIs for TomTom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Off Line Traffic News - Traffic POIs for TomTom
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
awalsh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed on both counts.

Firstly, I had 40 POI's installed, although not displayed, I've deleted a couple and now the POI is listed. Thanks Darren.

Secondly, restarting the APP cured the problem of copying the file over to the device.

Thanks Richard, keep up the good work!
rsutcliffe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Offline Traffic News Reply with quote

That's great - I'll add your device to list of those supported!
Jammy1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any plans for the TomTom Go to be supported in the future?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you manually copy across the .ov2 files then it is supported right now Smile

As the GO does not have an ActiveSync connection then automating it is not currently possible.
Jammy1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Darren. I had a sneaking suspicion that it would be, but I didn't want to assume. This looks a great solution for us Classic Go users who haven't got the bluetooth connection.
rsutcliffe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Offline Traffic News on Go? Reply with quote

How does the Go appear to Windows when connected? If this appears as an additional named drive (c:, d:, etc) then it should be little work to add this to the next version.

Otherwise this would need to stay on the wish list as I don't have access to anyone with a TomTom Go.
awalsh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They come up as a Windows drive, but I dont believe you could guarantee it was the same drive letter every time.
rsutcliffe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Offlline Traffic News Reply with quote

If I added a secondary folder location to attempt to store the OV2 files then do you think this would suffice? The software would need to look for the folder first and if it didn't exist then fail the copy.

The only issue would be if the drive letter kept changing as you could potentially end up with OV2 files all over any attached temporary drives!

Let me know if you think this addition would allow TomTom Go to use the software as intended.
awalsh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you not just amend the options screen, so you can either choose to automatically sync with the device or a seperate option button to choose a specific folder?
rsutcliffe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Offline Traffic News Reply with quote

awalsh - I agree, that's the way I'll implement it.
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my IPAQ I can't get it to automatically update the POI the application crashes instead. I have ensured that the application is pointing to the right folder on the SD card.

As for the best way to use it, I have been manually updating the POI files before setting out on a journey. I then plan the route using advanced planning. I then choose to navigate via the Trfaffic POI. TT5 will show which POIs are on your planned rtoute, and clicking and holding will give the details. If there are parts I want to avoid based on this info I tell TT and it routesaccordingly.

Now to see how well that works in practice!
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that wit ha planned rout the map screen search has a route button allowing POIs on the route to be searched for.
Hoppy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard
Great program, just a couple of things, I have a 2210 and I have followed all your tips but stil can't get it to auto update, but thats a minor thing manually putting them in the folder works OK. Also when I view them on the map I have noticed that quite a few of the POI's are duplicated some twice on the same road what would be a few yards apart and some on another road side by side is this something you have seen? But those minor things aside as I said at the start its a great little program.

Hoppy
rsutcliffe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Offline Traffic News Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback so far. I am planning to add in the features already mentioned over the next week or so and improve some of the error reporting so you it's easier to see where auto update fails.

Hoppy - The duplicate POI's usually occur where an incident is affecting both sides of a road. I am already removing exact duplicates, so these should be minimal and in most cases these appear at either side of the disturbance, as reported on the BBC Travel feeds.

Please continue to pass on your feedback, both good and bad, and I will endevour to add all suitable improvements.

JulianBarker - A yellow icon should appear next to POI's on your route, however if anyone knows how to further improve the functionality (like navigating via POI's), I'd like to know so I can add the info into the help file for future versions.
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of three icons should appear -

A straight green arrow - directly on your route

A bent green arrow - slightly off your route - probably by a few hundred yards

A bent yellow arrow - further off your route up to a mile or two.

Experience shows that you need ot loo kat the first two - the BBC coordinates are often well off meaning that a delay on a road will be shown as a few hundred metres off the road.

BTW, even when there is a problem on only one side of the road, the software generates two or three POIs (often well off the road). This is probably due to the BBC duplicating. For example, A3 south after The Hook interchange (Ace of Spades) is reduced by one lane due to a hit bridge at the beginning of the year that is only now being repaired! The system genrates two or sometimes three POIs - none of which are actually on the A3 at all!

I suspect that the BBC has multiple entries for this, for example, London, Surrey etc as it is right on the border.

In the more than six months this restriction has been here it has never held up northbound travel as far as I know (BTW, you can see Wembely arch here when travelling North when visibility is good which I find remarkable as there is no obvious vista.)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13

Jump to: