Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GR-213 won't keep WAAS/EGNOS setting
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GR-213 won't keep WAAS/EGNOS setting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: GR-213 won't keep WAAS/EGNOS setting Reply with quote

Hello,

Can anyone tell me how to keep WAAS/EGNOS enabled after moving from GPSViewer to another application on a Pocket PC? It seems that the Pocket PC version of GPSViewer disables WAAS/EGNOS in the GPS as soon as I close down the GPS connection. Why is that???

When I connect the GR-213 to my laptop and go through the same procedure it works fine. I can verify in another application that WAAS/EGNOS is enabled since I get DGPS fix.

Has anyone tried switching on WAAS/EGNOS from another Pocket PC application than GPSViewer, like SiRF Demo? Does this work better?

Regards, Ulf

PS: Does GR-213 have any battery backup?
Garmin GPSMap 60CSx (SW ver. 3.70)
MikeProcter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi uffe73,

I can't help you with your PPC questions (I'm a Palm Treo 650/T3 user), but you are the only person I've found with the Holux GR213 sirf111 wired mouse receiver.

What do you think of it in use?

I have not seen any reports on this model. I'm looking for a wired sirf111 receiver, and this seems on be one that I can get a lead to fit to my Tom Tom car kit - RJ11 connector is available according to Holux.
johnmar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike

I have just recently purchased a GR213 direct from Holux UK and am more than pleased with the item and service received from them.

My previous receiver was an EMTAC GPSJacket running on an iPAQ 3830 and TTN3 ran well on that setup. Average sattelites were 3-4. TTN5 was hopeless.

The GR213 maintains 7-10 sattelites, even under difficult conditions. I have the unit hidden away under the arm rest of the centre console and even then, the level of performance is high. Next to the front screen, the sattelite fix is similar, marginally stronger signals rather than additional sattelites. As advertised the time to achieve a sattelite fix is short, since the unit starts working as soon as power is applied.

Hope this helps.

iPAQ3830 (32MB) PPC2002 ROM 1.20
CF Expansion Pack
Holux GR-213 GPS Mouse (GSW3.1.1 -3.1.00.07 C23B1.00)
Kingston Elite Pro 1 GB CF Card for maps
Viking 512MB SD Card (not used for navigating)
TTNav 5.210 (5430) Maps of W Europe
MikeProcter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John.

Thanks for that. based on that I've just ordered one from Holux as well.

I use a Palm T3 with TT5.12 & TT's BT receiver. I did also use Seidio's wired GR300, but it seems to have died on me.

So I don't have to carry two devices around with me, I want to use my Palm Treo 650, with a wired receiver & use the BT to work with my BT car kit. When the Seidio unit worked it was ok, but now it's dead! The Holux unit will be far superior to the Seidio receiver.

Many thanks,

Mike
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to get by the problem described above. After enabling WAAS/EGNOS in GPSView and making sure I have a good signal from one of the EGNOS satellites I close down GPSView and open VisualGPSce (found here). VisualGPSce will then indicate DGPS fix within a few seconds.

I have noticed a couple of other things that you might be interested in knowing about:

1. The receiver won’t keep the setting for WAAS/EGNOS after disconnecting from power. I have to go into GPSViewer and enable WAAS/EGNOS every time I connect my GR-213. Apparently this is the case for all receivers with SiRF 3.1.1 FW. I read somewhere that it's caused by a temporary solution for WAAS/EGNOS in the SiRF 3.1.1 FW. Quite strange I think. Maybe one has to wait until EGNOS has been officially released in 2006 before the SiRF implementation can by fully trusted.

2. I sometimes fail to return to NMEA mode after being in SiRF mode. I then have to disconnect from power, reconnect and try again a couple of times before I succeed.

Apart from these things I'm very happy with the device. The sensitivity is fantastic! I mostly get a fix with 9-11 satellites in my car!
Garmin GPSMap 60CSx (SW ver. 3.70)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: