Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Bug collection for TTN5.210(5430)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Bug collection for TTN5.210(5430)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Bug collection for TTN5.210(5430) Reply with quote

This thread will be one place where bugs (and only bugs) are listed for TTN5. After each reply is evaluated and confirmed the item may be added to the list and the post will be removed. Any off topic remarks will be deleted too.

TomTom Navigator 5.21 bug list (build 5430)

- TTN 5.21 installs to main memory only, no matter what you specify during the setup. This can lead to duplicate installations when you peviously had it installed on storage card. Workaround: after installation, move files back to storage card and change start menu shortcut accordingly. Note: This may break the Today plugin and you may have to re-install that too (using an older build).

- TTN 5.21 will not run on PPC Phones when the phone is switched off, incorrectly assuming that when the phone is off all other radios are off too ("Flight mode"). In reality the radio stacks can be controlled individually, and while the phone may be off, Bluetooth may be on etc.Workaround: instead of "other Bluetooth" use "other cable NMEA" as the receiver type.

- Premature secondary warning: TTN5 may advise to eg "turn right, then turn right" when the second turn is still very far away and there are other turn options before it.

- When Outlook 'pings' to signal an appointment reminder whilst running TT5, TT locks up and the only way to get TT working again it is a soft reset.

- there is no underscore in the portrait soft keyboard, preventing users with underscores in their email address to access the Plus services. Workaround: switch to landscape temporarily

- as of version 5.100 TTN5 will no longer accept v4 maps, and not list them in the "switch map" table. Revert to version 5.000 or buy v5 maps

- TTN5 may not restart after being exited. Sometimes when clicking on the TomTom icon on the Today screen it goes into TomTom other times nothing happens (including no red hands at the bottom of the screen). The only way to get it to run is to reset the machine.

- While running, TTN5 consumes nearly 100% of processor cycles. Programs running in the background becme unusable (media player etc). TTN5 also affects the OS reaction to hardware key presses. In 50% of the cases the key press event will not be relayed to the OS. Excessive processor usage also seems to cause rapid battery drain and/or very hot PDAs up to the point of failure.

- degraded GPS performance with the new GPS driver using both third-party and TomTom GPS hardware. Probably due to the higher processor load, but it is also possible this is caused by (unnecessary) initialisation attempts upon connection to the receiver.Workaround: allow the receiver plenty of time to get a fix BEFORE running TTN.

- While running, TomTom does not respect the power save settings of the Pocket PC. It will keep the device switched on until the battery is completely drained. You will have to manually switch off your Pocket PC (or exit TomTom each time you interrupt navigation) to prevent that from happening. Backlight settings are respected.

- UK 7 digit PostCode will not work unless there is a Tomtom folder on the storage card (even though it can be empty). The postcode file has to be in the ZIP folder on the storage card.Workaround: the 5.21 installer adds an empty TomTom folder to the storage card automatically

- Text lists (POIs, addresses, ports etc) appear in a font that is too big, and are thus cut off on the right. Workaround: tap and hold the text - this will show the complete string in a smaller font

- Itinerary planning can only be completed (including calculating the route) with a valid GPS signal present. Workaround(5.1 only!):- tap the A - B icon (Advanced planning), set departure and destination (depart from near your location), calculate the route, select "Route" in the bottom left corner, select "Show route demo",tap the sreen and confirm thar you want to stop the animated demo. Now go to itinerary planning. When clicking "Done" now your TomTom thinks it stands at the point where you stopped the demo.

- If navigating an itinerary with at least one waypoint and then during the journey choosing a point to Travel Via, all existing itinerary waypoints are discarded in favour of the new Travel Via waypoint.

- The POI Warning distance decreases by 1 every time you edit the same POI Category, e.g.: Set "pocketgps uk gatso 30" POI Category "Warn when closer than:" distance to 300 yards.
Reselect the same POI and the "Warn when closer than:" distance will now be 299 yards. The next time it will be 298 yards and so on.

The poi.dat file for the Italia-Map is completely empty (only 8 bytes) Workaround: use an older POI.DAT file or the one from the Italia-Plus map.

- Occasionally TomTom loses track of where it is, jumps to somewhere else on the map, then hops back to its real position. This can sometimes take long enough to trigger a recalculation.

- "No GPS Device" message on startup/restart when it should say "no GPS fix"

- The serial port list is only read once at TTN startup. Removable or virtual COM ports (CF, GPSGate) that were not present when TTN was started will not appear in the list even if they may now be physically present. As a result the GPS settings screen can only be exited by selecting a "wrong" port.Workaround: exit and restart TTN to re-read the port list and to reselect the correct port.

- No Contact integration on Pocket PCs running PPC2002 (confirmed for iPAQ 3970 and CASSIOPEIA e200i)

- POIs are shown with only the first letter capitalised, instead of the first letter of each word.

- On some PDAs with a badly written SD card driver if you start TTN5 (installed in main memory) with the PDA off using a hardware button, or switch the PDA off and back on while TTN5 is running, you may get the disclaimer screen up . This is because the map on the SD card can only be accessed after the operating system has mounted the card - that can take up to five seconds.

- When starting the install from a CD, or when starting the install from hard disc but with the CD still in the drive, you may get "Cannot create enough temporary space" or something like that. TomTom have posted a workaround for this: If you get this message when you attempt to install TomTom NAVIGATOR 5 Upgrade pack please follow these steps:
1. Remove the CD-rom from your CD-rom drive.
2. Click on Start, select Run and type %temp%, then press OK.
3. Select the file setup.exe and delete this file by tapping delete on your keyboard.
4. If installing from CD insert your NAVIGATOR 5 Upgrade CD-rom into the CD-rom drive.
5. Now you can install your TomTom NAVIGATOR 5 Upgrade.

- There is no 'back' button when doing Navigate to POSTCODE. All of the other "Navigate to" screens (i.e Address, POI) have a 'back' button. But 'Postcode' simply says 'done'. This means that if you have gone into this screen unintentionally, you have to actually select a postcode to get to a screen where you can 'cancel'.

- the TomTom screen doesn't draw properly after you selected the BT device in the Connection Manager. The selection page stays visible until you tap anywhere on the page and then you find yourself on the menu screen and have to tap close to get back to the main screen.

- slow redrawing/position lag when user created POIs are visible. TTN5 will show the position you were in several seconds ago - hide custom POIs and it shows you where you are now. Workaround: Combine custom POI categories into fewer files and use MakeOV2.exe to compile.

- TTN5 keeps losing favourites and POI alert settings randomly, after map switching, after enabling/disabling some poi's categories, and after closing ttn5.
The cfg file is not set to read-only, and the sd card is not locked. Seems to be a timing issue with file i/o.

- The ETA is over estimated by some 50%. Particularly when you are able to drive faster than initially projected TTN does not take that into account until it is very close to the destination. It is not possible to influence that since road speed settings are no longer editable.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Last edited by lbendlin on Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:50 am; edited 12 times in total
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will these reports be forwarded to TomTom, and the progress reported, I'm currently feeling that this is a pointless exercise, we complile the list, TomTom ignore it, TT release useless patches.

These three are still outstanding:-

Traffic seems very strange, the status icon keeps changing Orange almost immediately after a succesfuly update. Logged & acknolwdged by TT Support.

The contacts, 'Naviagte to' does not work and displays an error message. Even after a cold reset & only TT being installed this is still a problem. Logged with TT & acknolwdged.

Spoken instructions are incorrect, you will be told to 'Exit ahead' 1.2 mile before your next exit. This would be a problem if there was an exit before the one you were supposed to exit. If you were not to look at the screen and follow the voice prompts you would exit too early.
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minor visual bug but a bug nevertheless.

When calculating an itinerary with at least two intermediate waypoints the progress bar overwrites the version information on the right-hand side of the display.

Roger
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that TTN 5.0 was great and I appearred to have not suffered from some of the problems that fellow iPAQ hx4700 users appeared to have suffered from.

However, (you just knew that was coming, huh) now that I have upgraded to 5.1 I have problems in that it keeps throwing me out of the 'browse map' part. I start to slowly drag the map across the screen then before it finishes redrawing I'm looking at the Today screen.

When I then tap TomTom again to go back in, the TomTom icon down in the bottom right part of the Today screen moves one place to the left (and will continue to move one place to the left each time I restart it after it ejects me).

If I then uninstall everything and reinstall version 5 from the CD it works correctly again.

I then re-downloaded the update from the TomTom web site, upgraded to 5.1 again and keep being ejected again when I use 'browse map'.

I've even tried the whole cycle again after a 'hard' reboot without success.

Are you aware of this problem as I haven't seen any other references to this.

BTW I've updated the ROM to 1.10.08 a month or so ago without any apparent problems.
jaypeter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: no rest stops in NAV mode. Reply with quote

Unless I am going crazy here,
I CANNOT get TT5 to display "rest areas" in NAV mode....They show up in" map" but switch to NAV and they're gone.

petrol stations, yes, but rest areas, no.

The only way I found tonight to see them at all in NAV mode, is to put the audible alarm on, and then they "pop-up" suddenly. Not even the rest area exit lanes show up in NAV mode.

I can get other POI's include the cluster of petrol stations, but not rest areas (necessary for lorries)...try it!

jp
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom 5.1 keeps turning the Backlight OFF, have to exit TT and turn Off the PDA then start it again, this seems to happen randomly, sometimes I can do a complete journey and other times may have to re-start it several times.
jaybeetoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
TTN5 keeps losing favourites and POI alert settings randomly

... and it forgets the Home location and Recent destinations.

Sometimes it also forgets to show main roads. This uaually happens on long journeys. I recently drove from Witney to Warwick - when I got to Warwick it didn't show the main A429 into the town. It looked like I was driving across a field! After rebooting the Pocket PC the road was shown.

I reported these problems to TT over a week ago but so far I've not had a response. I assume that means they are either flooded with problems or they can't provide a fix?

The map data could be much better. Many times TTN5 has tried to send me down roads that don't exist or down farm tracks with a locked gate across it.

TTN5 could be a great product - at the moment it has far too many major bugs.
alan_m
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Bug collection for TTN5.100(5160) Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
- Itinerary planning can only be completed with a valid GPS signal present.

The 'navigate to' only works with a valid GPS signal present. This may be the way that TT have designed the function but there is another bug related to this.

On three occasions I have configured the destination with the car parked in a multi-storey car park and with no satellite fix. TT5 stops at the route stage with the message about waiting for a valid GPS fix. I have left TT in this mode as I was soon leaving the car parks. However TT5 NEVER completes this task even when a fix has been found a few minutes later i.e. unless there is a GPS fix at the time of entering the screen it will stall at that screen forever.

The solution is to cancel the screen, then clear route and start again - the only saving grace is that your new location will still be at the top of the 'recent destination' lists.
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is inevitable that TT can't navigate to, until it knows where to navigate from. Whilst you have spotted a bug, a more eligant solution might be for TT to notify there is no fix, then offer to let you select a starting point. In otherwords, if there is no fix, the Navigate to button will not work, so if it is selected, the user should be offered the optons in Advanced Planning.
DareDevil
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Bug collection for TTN5.100(5160) --> new one Reply with quote

I have a new bug. I waited a lot before notifying but because it is sort of intermittent:

Bug description:
I stop the car and switch off the PDA. When I start the car and switch on the PDA again, TTN 5.1 behaves from time to time in a very strange way not displaying all the map details.

Example:
I restart the car and start driving. The PDA is switched on, TTN 5.1 is running. The display should show the street in which I am driving yet there is just the arrow and some faraway roads here and there. Satellite coverage is ok.

I switch off the application, start it again and magically get all the map details.

My take:
TTN 5.1 application is not restored properly after switching off the PDA for some odd reason.

Workaround:
Switch off TTN 5.1 then switch off the PDA. Do not simply switch off the PDA.

PDA: Axim X3 + Fortuna GPS connected via an USB cable.

DareDevil
Pedro-G
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Bug collection for TTN5.100(5160) Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Pedro-G wrote:

Backlight settings are not actually respected, not on my hx4700 anyway. When you start the software, if you touch nothing, it will respect the backlight setting for one time only. After you touch the screen for the first time, it will stay on regardless of the backlight setting.

Are you running the 4700 off the car charger, or is it in a passive mount?

I just checked to confirm that it works as I decribed both when in a charger and when using battery power.
Chumley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug collection for TTN5.100(5160) Reply with quote

alan_m wrote:

On three occasions I have configured the destination with the car parked in a multi-storey car park and with no satellite fix. TT5 stops at the route stage with the message about waiting for a valid GPS fix. I have left TT in this mode as I was soon leaving the car parks. However TT5 NEVER completes this task even when a fix has been found a few minutes later i.e. unless there is a GPS fix at the time of entering the screen it will stall at that screen forever.

The solution is to cancel the screen, then clear route and start again - the only saving grace is that your new location will still be at the top of the 'recent destination' lists.

This is definitely a bug, but it's easy to get round. Use Advances Planning and just select Home as your starting point. As soon as you get a fix, TT will recalculate your route.

You need to know what direction to set off in, but that would also be true if you could use Navigate To without a location fix.
hornist
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Bug collection for TTN5.100(5160) Reply with quote

Chumley wrote:

Use Advances Planning and just select Home as your starting point. As soon as you get a fix, TT will recalculate your route.

I use this approach a lot. I plan the route indoors, using advanced planning (so I can see which way it will take me, or get an estimate of travel time etc). Then I carry the PDA out to the car, switch on the GPS receiver, and it navigates me to the destination I had set in Advanced planning.

However, there is a bug associated with this (hence posting in this thread) - if, when doing the Advanced Planning, you also set a Via, then when you jump in the car and turn on the GPS the route ignores the via and navigates direct to the destination.

It caught me out last week in one of those 'let's show off my wonderful sat nav to family and friends' moments!

Paul
Botty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: TTN5 loses favourites and POI settings Reply with quote

I had this problem upon upgrading from TTN3 to TTN5.
We eventually tracked it down to an installation problem with some .DLL files in the main program files not being deleted. We found the only way was to delete everything and then hunt out any remaining TTN files including the DLL'd that do not get removed by add/remove programs. Then reinstall TTN5 and all should be OK.
Stuie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Schoolboy error. Posted in wrong forum. Apologies.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: