Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is it Tom Tom or is it me
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it Tom Tom or is it me

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Is it Tom Tom or is it me Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've just bought Tom Tom 300, used it on Saturday to direct me to Hastings, on the way it directed me off course three times, only to tell me (after travelling some distance) to turn around and directed me back to the road I was originally travelling on. I used it again today to travel a short route that I know, half way there it told me to turn around, this time I new it was wrong and ignored it's instructions, after travelling a short distance further it corrected itself and gave the right instructions.

Is my Tom Tom faulty? or am I doing something wrong when programming the route? can't see how though.

Thanks.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a low signal to me do you have a heat reflective windscreen
go to the sattelite veiw in the go in the car look at how many sats you can see then take it out of the car and see if you get more sattelies

oh welcome to the forum Laughing Laughing

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Nezza42
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be to do with how many satellites it's locked on to? I don't know what the accuracy is if it's only locking on to the minimum (I guess that's three to triangulate your position?)

If/when it does it again, have a look to see what the "Signal strength" is - i.e. how many sat's you're locked onto.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds very much like a signal issue. What car do you drive? It would also be useful to check signal strength when this occurs.
DocL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree it sounds like a weak signal.

When travelling along forest roads with a lot of tree cover, the same thing happens; loose SAT, then get it back and poor old TomTom gets confused as to where he is, resulting in incorrect instructions. This is certainly the case if you see the map twiddling about all over the place!
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Is it Tom Tom or is it me Reply with quote

Trin wrote:
Hi all,

I've just bought Tom Tom 300, used it on Saturday to direct me to Hastings, on the way it directed me off course three times, only to tell me (after travelling some distance) to turn around and directed me back to the road I was originally travelling on. I used it again today to travel a short route that I know, half way there it told me to turn around, this time I new it was wrong and ignored it's instructions, after travelling a short distance further it corrected itself and gave the right instructions.

Is my Tom Tom faulty? or am I doing something wrong when programming the route? can't see how though.

Thanks.

How did you 'program the route'? Did you just tell it to go to hastings, or put waypoints in along the way? If the latter, and they were on the wrong side of the road, that would do it.

Tw

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: