Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Install Issues ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Install Issues ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
russgunn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems for me with installing POIEdit. I had the same issues with proxy settings not being detected but returned to this site and got some info on what to change in IE so it would work.

The only problem I've had since install was POIEdit de-installing itself for some reason. Switching on one day I found it was no longer on my system, very strange! Installed it again and no problems since.
Heyou
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to work once but now it's back to the old "Please check your Internet Explorer proxy setting" error message again.

Home PC setup - Win 2K, ZoneAlarm Pro firewall turned OFF, Netgear Router/Hub.

I've tried all the settings in POIEdit for manual and use IE settings against IE's use automatic and entering a proxy server address and still it comes up with the same "proxy settings" error.

I've looked through this thread and some have said "just tick use manual setting in POIEdit" or "untick use automatic setting in IE" but still i can't get it to work. Obviously i'm missing something but i'm bu**ered if i can see it.

Del.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to untick the automatic IE settings in TOOLS | INTERNET CONNECTIONS | LAN SETTINGS and also any Proxy server you may have setup here. THen set POI Edit to use IE settings and it will work a dream.

I'm running it behind a NetGear DG824M and ZoneAlarm Pro.
Heyou
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No i've tried all this - at this moment nothing is checked in IE settings in TOOLS | INTERNET CONNECTIONS | LAN SETTINGS but just to make sure i tried again but still the same error message.

I've uninstalled and re-installed POIEdit but no change.

I'm OK about using a proxy server setting in IE settings in TOOLS | INTERNET CONNECTIONS | LAN SETTINGS but this doesn't let POIEdit work either.

Gutted of Guildford ;o)
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If everything is disabled in IE under Lan Settings, AND POIEdit is setup to use IE Settings, then you either still have a Proxy client installed (Like MS Proxy Client or ISA Client), or your ISP is blocking DNS requests from SOCKS based applications. This can happen if you're using a firewall client to block applications talking in/out of your PC/network like ZoneAlarm, BlackIce, WinXP Firewall, Norton PC/Internet Security.
colinw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad I have exactly same problem as Heyou!
Running XP Pro over wireless into XP Pro main machine that connect via ADSL BT Openworld, keep getting all the proxy errors, have followed, and tried everything on these threads and as yet no luck at all!!

Colin
johnthebog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also getting the same issues with not being able to download the POI's Crying or Very sad
I've followed the instructions to the letter and still continue to get proxy errors. Evil or Very Mad

Using Freeserve as the ISP over dial up and running XP home

Is there no other way to access these POI's??? looks like a number of members are having these problems.

Any one out there that could look into this and provide some additional help.....

In anticipation
john
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colin, buy a Netgear router rather than PROXYING, you won't have any issues then!

John, you can download them manually and extract and copy them across to your Pocket PC. I suspect FreeServe are proxying a connection and causing problems that way with programs that require Socks access. Download all of the POI's on our TomTom POI page which is also listed as Points Of Interest on the left hand navigation menu.

POI-Sync may not work for everyone, for people who have a direct connection, with no proxy servers, and no firewalls (or firewalls with the correct open ports for Socks) then POI-Sync will work well, but for those who have a more complicated setup, you may need to download them manually.
johnthebog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave....Thanks for the alternative method for downloading POI's, it worked like a dream Thumbs Up a little long winded but hey it works!!!

Maybe this method could be documented as an alternative for those who can't access through the POI editor.

Many thanks again for the fast response....great site....grest community for your every day GPS issues

john

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: