Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Price-check please b/t GPS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Price-check please b/t GPS
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stevie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Price-check please b/t GPS Reply with quote

Yep but you missed out the shipping cost. As 3.5% customs duty is added to that and then a further 17.5% vat on both the true cost is nearer £193.

And the units probably have a trade price of $50!

US purchasing can be cheaper if you are prepared to wait for slower, cheaper postage (or if the seller makes a false statement of the goods value - if you get checked the cost could be much, much higher in penalties).

Davidb67
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Price-check please b/t GPS Reply with quote

Hi, i've searched what seems like hundreds (so only about 10!!) of websites, looking for the lowest price on Emtac/Socket b/t GPS.

thought i'd seen it somewhere for £188 + vat, but lowest i see today was with Total PDA - £199 + vat.

anyone seen it for less anywhere?

I should be more patient, and wait until there are more in-depth reports on the TomTom bluetooth receiver, but patience is not one of my strong-points!!!

Dave
Frequent Visitor

£199+vat is about right, most stores tend to sell for around £205 + vat or around £240 inc vat.
Jon Bowes
Occasional Visitor

Hi Davidb,

We currently have the Emtac BT GPS in stock and its selling at £222.99 inc VAT and delivery (2-4 days). You can follow this link to our website for more details about this unit www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk.

If you have anymore queries or questions please don't hesitate to contact me

Jonathan Bowes

Spotlight Guides Ltd

jonathan.bowes@spotlightguides.co.uk

tel 08453 45 42 45

fax 08453 45 42 65
Francois
Occasional Visitor

I have mentioned this in another forum but no one seems to have noticed. There is perhaps a possibility to buy a GPS sleeve in the US for much less. However, I don't know if there are compatibility problems. As it uses the battery of your IPAQ, I don't think there is. Here's the link :

http://www.transplantcomputing.com/igpsj.html

Sleeve at US$249.99 = £156!!

Enjoy
Dave
Frequent Visitor

There are absolutely no compatibility issues whatsoever. GPS is a international standard, using the internationally recognised NMEA protocol. The only issue is with your local customs. Ordering products from the US to UK, if it's over £22 you get charged UK TAX, and also a handling fee from the courier which can be another £12.50. I don't know if it's the same in France, whether you would get stung this way, the only realy way is to try it and see, but the US sleeves or BT GPS will work fine whether they're from American, Taiwan, England, Netherlands.

For us that would cost £156 * 1.175 (VAT) = £183.30 + £12.50 = £195.80.

Still cheaper, but there's extended hassle in ordering abroad, especially if the device fails and you want to send it back for a replacement.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

The only thing is that the what you have quoted the price of is the GPS sleeve not the Bluetooth GPS receiver. The price of the Bluetooth from Transplant is $349.00 which even at your exchange rate works out to £218 then add shipping and duty and VAT and you have an expensive GPS.
Francois
Occasional Visitor

Hi Mike, Dave and David,

Here is a link to buy a bluetooth GPS receiver for £129!!!!!!!!! + VAT + handling fee £12.50 (your simulation above) = £164!!!!!!

Isn't this a deal!!?!!

Hope this helps !

http://www.semsons.com/gloabbluetgp.html
Stevie
Regular Visitor

If shipped to UK would need delivery costs added. Then add 3.5% customs duty, to that then add 17.5% VAT and handling charge of around £13.50 so Total nearer £193.

A saving of £20 to £30 pound with the risk of having to ship back to US if faulty, UK supplier would have to re-imburse shipping costsif item was found faulty within a set time.

Francois
Occasional Visitor

In the price of £164 quoted above, I've already assumed 17.5% VAT and handling charge of £12.50.

In the link above, you will see that the price of the b/t receiver is US$209 = £129!!

So total savings of about £60. Not too bad. I'm just trying to help our european forum members obtain cheaper stuff when I come across offers like these while surfing the web. It seems that the stuff in the US are a lot cheaper! As for other electronics and computer related goods. I don't understand
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

Cheapest I have seen is $199 (£125 + £10 shipping + VAT = £158). Or if you are visiting the USA you can buy one for £125... Let me know if any of you are over that way.

http://www.alk.com/store/pocketOptions.asp?device=ipaq54&bluetooth=yes

Wait a little while and the UK prices of these things is going to drop dramatically....
cultivator
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:17 am    Post subject: Another source Reply with quote

The new Emtac Bluetooth "Trine" GPS is available at lower prices than the older version. You can get it for $230 US at 123farmworks.com, but of course that doesn't include the additional fees for overseas shipping, etc. Might not be worth the hassle and additional expense if you're outside the US.... you might check UK sources to see if they are selling the new units. If they are, the pricing should have dropped in the last few months.
sn00p
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one last week from mann electronics:

http://www.mann-electronics.co.uk/

cost including vat and special delivery was £192 - came next day. It's the socket badged version. Found the company by searching for emtac on ebay.

Adrian
Stevie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought that web address was familiar, I bought a Philips Sonicare toothbrush from them, it does not do GPS though! Happy
SJ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Another source Reply with quote

cultivator wrote:
The new Emtac Bluetooth "Trine" GPS is available at lower prices than the older version. You can get it for $230 US at 123farmworks.com,

The site above says "Comming Soon!" and "Price TBA" am I looking in the right place?

Or is the new Emtac still vapourware?

SJ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: