Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Comparison between TomTom and Kirrio/ViaMichelin on Palm?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Comparison between TomTom and Kirrio/ViaMichelin on Palm?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CC_UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Comparison between TomTom and Kirrio/ViaMichelin on Palm? Reply with quote

I'm interested in buying a GPS solution for my Palm (Tungsten E2) and understand the two main players are TomTom and Kirrio/ViaMichelin.

Anyone know of a comparison between these two systems?
jblackmore
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried TomTOm, but use ViaMichelin Mapsonic 2.52 - I recently tried 3.1 and hated it.

I bought the Kirrio bundle of Palm Zire 31, with GPS, car mount and software all in for £212 from ebuyer.

It is a bit odd to get used to but I find it does everything i want, and the routing and in car side of it is fine for me, but finding locations can be an adventure as it has weird breakdown of area's, and doesn't do postcodes (3.1 does partial postcodes but not very accurately from my brief test).

V2.52 has an annoying menu system, which once mastered is quick to use.
V3.1 has a very annoying 'icon' type system, which makes it very awkward to find simple functions, so for example deleting a POI is very non-intuitive, and if you have two POI's close together, it is impossible to delete them as they are both hidden (rather than overlap on screen I assume).

I would suggest you do not buy Mapsonic unless you have tried it out in a shop and are happy with it.

Check the mapsonic forum and you will see very few positive comments.

I haven't used TomTom, but felt the comments on the TomTom forum are generally a lot more positive.

Mapsonic is cheap though, in the bundled packages :-)

James.
DennyL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For software only Mapsonic is £104.95 at Expansys.com and Tomtom v5 is £134.99 from Amazon.co.uk, both for the whole of Europe. I have Mapsonic, and I am thinking of buying Tomtom bacause there are a lot of frustrations with Mapsonic and very few signs that Viamichelin is getting its act together. If I were starting now I would definitely buy Tomtom.
CC_UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies - I was leaning towards the TomTom solution and I think that settles it.

DennyL - I've seen TT5+Europe Maps on Amazon for £134.99 but assume that's without a GPS receiver. Anyone have GPS receiver recommendations?
MikeProcter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using Tom Tom for a year on Palms - T3 & Treo 650. overall I am very impressed - I have done approx. 28,000 miles with Tom Tom. It has never taken me to the wrong place. always ending up within 50 yards of where I was going, frequently much closer.

I have used Tom Tom's Bluetooth receiver, Holux GR213 sirf 111 wired receiver & seidio's GR300 wired receiver. The Holux is the best, being sirf111, & the TomTom one is ok. Seidio one has died.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may also want to consider Mapopolis. It has a pretty nifty Palm version. It's much cheaper, too.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
DennyL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used Mapopolis and Mapsonic v1.3.2. I have now stopped using Mapopolis. Despite Mapsonic's frustrations I still prefer it to Mapopolis. The reasons I prefer Mapsonic are:-

1) I prefer the Mapsonic way of 'cutting' maps, as opposed to the Mapopolis county-based method.

2) Mapsonic re-calculates routes *much* more quickly than Mapopolis. In city-centre contexts, Mapopolis can't keep up, whereas Mapsonic seems to have alternative routes ready and prepared, and flicks instantly to a new route when one deviates from the route it has calculated.

3) I *can't stand* the Mapopolis voice prompts, which are like being barked at by a sargent major ('Destination left, two-tenths or a mile!' as opposed to 'You have arrived!' in a pleasant female voice). It should be noted that Mapopolis gives multiple pre-warnings, as opposed to the one pre-warning and one instruction that Mapsonic gives. These multiple pre-warnings are trying if one is trying to listen to the radio, whereas Mpasonic's prompts are economical and effective.

4) Mapopolis has a laughable 3D view, whereas Mapsonic's is pretty cool.

I realise I am now using an old version of Mapsonic, but that is because posts here have not encouraged me to upgrade. When I do, it will probably be to Tomtom. I just wonder whether Tomtom licensing is complicated and onerous. I'm not sure how easy it would be if I bought Tomtom, and a bit later my Palm went belly-up and I bought a new one.
MikeProcter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Tom are ok. I had problems with my Treo 650, so they gave me a new activation code for my 'old' T3. They just wanted to know why. They seemed happy to do this.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: