Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PCWorld - Always Good For a Laugh!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PCWorld - Always Good For a Laugh!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These places are good entertainment when the wife is shopping for a washing machine etc. there's usually in the retail park.

just pop in, choose a product (I find laptops are the most fun) and just ask....

1. what does this bit do?
2. will it play MPEG 3 disks?
3. how long does it take to charge?

These are just a few....................

With some of the more challenged you can even try...

So is this a "computer" then?

And watch them squirm while they read the little point of sale card back at you, then in desperation try and find a manual and then when all else fails make it all up.

And they wonder why people prefer mail order - I'd rather wait a few days than be subjected to this every time I go and buy something.

These bunch scare me - you hear people say things like "technology really confuses me". I'm convinced the majority of people who say this shop at PC World and it's the sales advisors fault for talking rubbish.

Chris
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Online shopping Reply with quote

What really amazes me when I go to these places (to be able to touch some of the new gadgets) is people spending their hard earned cash there. Everyone has an access to the web these days with a huge wealth of knowledge, reviews and even excellent bargains available. I sometimes find myself unable to resist the urge to ask people shopping there not to buy as they can save £££ buying the same stuff online.
russgunn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I'm enjoying this topic vastly I can't help but ask why people are so surprised about the level of intelligence of PC World staff. Lets face it, if you pay minimum wages you're not going to be able to get qualified staff. Even the guys in the repair/upgrade section are idiots. These people are all from the same college, you know, the one that trains McDonalds, KFC, BK, Carpet World, DFS, JJB Sports and Next staff. In fact I'm sure there is a diploma course in 'Retail Park Nonce'.
egraphix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, the mistake in the mag if funny- but taking the pi$$ out of pcworld isnt nice. yes you've guessed it i work there (part time)- been working at the J9 store for over 2years- and i do know the stupidity of staff from other strores.!! they always send the customers our way since they mess up all the time.

I dont understand why PC world managers employ soo many people who dont have any pc knowledge- Rolling Eyes they do have training programs once u get employed-but nothing is good as learning it, first hand in real life like i have. Pc world make soo many mistakes- and this mag isnt the first. Laughing

And those who say the pay is minumim wage-well it isnt , it is definately twice as much/hr as you would get from any other retial store for starters- those under 18 pc world exploit for minumum pay but over 18's get whats right- and pay increase over completing training.

Not only was i lucky- 400 people applied at the time i sent a CV- 40 people got interviewed and out of those 40; 9 got employed- and I was rated the top one. Not only that but out of those 9 only 3had computer knowldge.. Rolling Eyes Question
I would mostly blame the stupidty of managers employing people without pc knowledge..

And for those who say they dont get served/wait in que's and dont buy anything after waiting/ call up the customer services are kinda stupid Wink why call a call centre, only having to wait several minutes to be picked up-then transfered over to the store only again to wait for the store staff to pick up the phone- why not go and ASK for help rather than waiting for assistance..

and many of you probably know the collact@store- which offers customers online prices in store- (cheaper than online retail stores). 8)
DPL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

egraphix wrote:
taking the pi$$ out of pcworld isnt nice

Here's the deal. It's a competitive world out there. Increasingly, people want quality, they want reliability, they want value. Increasingly, these folks don't want a Vauxhall, they want a VW; they don't want a VW, they want a Merc; they don't want a Merc, they want a Bentley....and so it goes on. Quality sells like nothing else. And part of that quality is the buying experience...You're right. Taking the pi$$ isn't always nice but it's the way of the modern world. And in thise case it's the way of the modern world to say PCW, your buying experience is crap.
russgunn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DPL, here here!

Granted egraphix you may well be one in a million among PC World Staff. If you're so clued up however you won't mind me asking you a series of technical questions to prove your statement that your a computer GOD? Shame you weren't there when all of the people on this thread with issues with PC World were in one of the branches. You could have helped, no?

Anyway, the issue here in this thread is not really about the abilities of individuals, more the failings of the whole company and local management to guarantee quality service. Like most of us, if we get good service, we are likely to treat others in society with the same amount of respect. If any of the large retailers give me bad service I in turn just go and give someone else some abuse. Only those that deserve it of course! It's a knock on effect.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

egraphix wrote:
And for those who say they dont get served/wait in que's and dont buy anything after waiting/ call up the customer services are kinda stupid Wink why call a call centre, only having to wait several minutes to be picked up-then transfered over to the store only again to wait for the store staff to pick up the phone- why not go and ASK for help rather than waiting for assistance..

I'll tell you why. I spent fifteen year in the retail trade as a buyer and manager of brown goods - that's TV, hi-fi etc. I had around 30 showroom staff in five showrooms. Each and every one had drummed into them one thing: the customer pays your wages, attend to them first.

If PC World can't (or won't) get that simple first law of retailing into their thick skulls they deserve every criticism they get and if you don't agree, so do you!
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spook51 wrote:

If PC World can't (or won't) get that simple first law of retailing into their thick skulls they deserve every criticism they get and if you don't agree, so do you!

Chris
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="spook51
If PC World can't (or won't) get that simple first law of retailing into their thick skulls they deserve every criticism they get and if you don't agree, so do you![/quote]

Ok lets try again (damn laptops Embarassed )

After spending a condiserable amount of time in the retail trade myself. Some of it as a Divisional Customer Care Manager I totally agree with this statement.

Your in store service totally stinks and your comments just reflect that culture.

Incidentally......

I actually bumped one of your Senior Management team whilst on business in Edinburgh late last year - I told him what rubbish your in-store service was.

He totally brushed my comments off as nonsense.

With people like this at the top you're on borrowed time - noticed my local PCW has just closed down Smile - one down still too many to go in my opinion. Laughing

Chris
buzzstrikerate
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: PCWorld - Always Good For a Laugh! Reply with quote

sorry to any body trying to bye a gps system from pcworld or any of the Dixons Group stores i have work for them for over 10 years and you can proberly put the picture erros down to printer as this would not be the 1st time they have messed up like this compaq pcs with picture to packard bell 37" plasma tv with screen size saying 42" ect ect. As for the sales staff not knowing the product well that just depends on who you talk to. some of us take the time to know what we sell some just bullshit to get your money and will not take the time to get the know what they sell sorry but its is hard to keep the good sales staff but dunt let that put you of we out there if you look ps their is no way a navman would run tomtom 5 as they are based on an old version of windows ce and not pocket pc as well you know.
buzzstrikerate
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_w wrote:
[quote="spook51

Ok lets try again (damn laptops Embarassed )

After spending a condiserable amount of time in the retail trade myself. Some of it as a Divisional Customer Care Manager I totally agree with this statement.

Your in store service totally stinks and your comments just reflect that culture.

Incidentally......

I actually bumped one of your Senior Management team whilst on business in Edinburgh late last year - I told him what rubbish your in-store service was.

He totally brushed my comments off as nonsense.

With people like this at the top you're on borrowed time - noticed my local PCW has just closed down Smile - one down still too many to go in my opinion. Laughing[/quote]

was that pcworld or was it a computerworld that shut down if it was competerworld they have and never will have any thing to do with pcworld as they are part of time or should i say were part of time not likely to have closed a pcworld more like they moved it as the company are opening more this year not closeing them ps 2nd law know your compertision sorry not so good at spelling but do know what tomtom and navman look like and can do
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

was that pcworld or was it a computerworld that shut down if it was competerworld they have and never will have any thing to do with pcworld as they are part of time or should i say were part of time not likely to have closed a pcworld more like they moved it as the company are opening more this year not closeing them ps 2nd law know your compertision sorry not so good at spelling but do know what tomtom and navman look like and can do

It was without a doubt a PC World (never heard of the other one Confused ) - and a particularly bad one too. I accept there is good in any company, unfortunatley I have honestly never had a good experience in any of your stores. The most I will buy there are consumables for my printer now and the salespeople still jump me after I've made my selection to give me their "number" to help them meet targets - very sad.

I buy my software from GAME because they give me a 10day satisfaction gaurantee and I buy all my Sat-Nav online from sites recommended by this forum Thumbs Up .

Anyway - opinions expressed. I'm sure there is a positive side to PCW I just don't seem to have found it Wink

Chris
buzzstrikerate
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

russgunn wrote:
DPL, here here!

Granted egraphix you may well be one in a million among PC World Staff. If you're so clued up however you won't mind me asking you a series of technical questions to prove your statement that your a computer GOD? Shame you weren't there when all of the people on this thread with issues with PC World were in one of the branches. You could have helped, no?

Anyway, the issue here in this thread is not really about the abilities of individuals, more the failings of the whole company and local management to guarantee quality service. Like most of us, if we get good service, we are likely to treat others in society with the same amount of respect. If any of the large retailers give me bad service I in turn just go and give someone else some abuse. Only those that deserve it of course! It's a knock on effect.

you people keep going on about how good internet companys are. Ask your selfs one thing how many sale people do they need to find for one office time had about 50 people on thier help desk pcworld or pcservices call has over 3000 has over 130 stores with 10 plus sales staff in each one i worked with sfaff from time and tiny and the stores they worked in sold 2 or 3 pc on a saturday pcworld sale staff sale 2 or 3 each. yes a lot of the sales staff are box shifters but if you are a pc expert why are you byeing a boxed pc i work for curry now after workig for pcworld for 3 years and i have a very upto date pc and have not paid for a boxed pc in years just keep bying updated hardware.
russgunn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buzzstrikerate wrote:
russgunn wrote:
DPL, here here!

you people keep going on about how good internet companys are. Ask your selfs one thing how many sale people do they need to find for one office time had about 50 people on thier help desk pcworld or pcservices call has over 3000 has over 130 stores with 10 plus sales staff in each one i worked with sfaff from time and tiny and the stores they worked in sold 2 or 3 pc on a saturday pcworld sale staff sale 2 or 3 each. yes a lot of the sales staff are box shifters but if you are a pc expert why are you byeing a boxed pc i work for curry now after workig for pcworld for 3 years and i have a very upto date pc and have not paid for a boxed pc in years just keep bying updated hardware.

For starters, most on this forum know what they want, so don't need a 17 year old from PC World telling them otherwise. Secondly, and more importantly, are you telling me that the guys at Handnav.co.uk, gpsw.co.uk and globalpositioningsystems.co.uk are no better than PC World people. These are all online only companies and there service is quite frankly out of this world. Very helpful, very knowledgeable and very quick to deliver.
egraphix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

that is so true- the amount of customers pc world has versus other retail/online store is very vast. in my store each sales guy/girl sells on average 5-6 base units on a saturday- thats near an average of 60-70k a day. the one main reason of higher prices is to cover the costs of building rentals, updated displays, security etc.. it all adds up. the dixons group is out there to make profit- and thats why the have been so successful in what they do.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: