Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SiRFstar III firmware upgrade for TomTom Bluetooth MkII ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SiRFstar III firmware upgrade for TomTom Bluetooth MkII ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pedro-G
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: SiRFstar III firmware upgrade for TomTom Bluetooth MkII ? Reply with quote

I've been trying out the new TomTom receiver. A lot of the time it seems like a brilliant unit, when walking outdoors today even with high trees on both sides of the path, I tended to get 10/10 satellites, 6/8 being the minimum observed. The receiver was in my shirt pocket.

However, it has shown some rather erratic behaviour, that is, refusing to get a fix for a long time, even when in excellent conditions (on a field where it usually tracks all possible satellites with strong signal). VisualGPSce has shown for example 8 satellites with strong signal (over 30) - and no fix, no matter how long the wait. A cold start forced by WinFast Navigator was required to get a fix. Once I had waited for about 10 minutes without a fix, then turned the unit off and on again, after which it fixed in about 2 seconds. On the other hand, it often fixes very fast, even after not being used for many hours.

Users of BT-338 and Holux GPSlim 236 have reported similar (and other) problems, such as a complete inability to get a fix no matter how long the wait - only a cold fix cured the problem.

In the Jet Lag thread at gpspassion Carl@SiRF tells that in the SIRFstar III firmware 3.1.1 they fix many bugs. TomTom MkII is using SIRFstar III firmware 3.0.0. Globalsat BT-338 and Fortuna slim have 3.0.2, and Holux GPSlim 236 has 3.1.0. Royaltek RBT2001 will ship with the 3.1.1. All the firmware upgrades have fixed some bugs.

As we can see, TomTom is WAY behind in the bug fixes, up to the point that I'd say the unit is defective without a firmware upgrade. If I had a brand new car that would start normally on some mornings, but on the rest it would require 15 minutes of waiting or hotwiring to start, I'd naturally return it under warranty. How is a GPS different?

SiRF says that it's up to the receiver manufacturers to take care of the upgrade. You good people at PocketGPS may have some influence over TomTom - please convince them to offer a firmware upgrade! Preferably one that can be done by the end user.
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem here, as you say my BT-338 has exactly the same problems and there's no confirmation that GlobalSat will be releasing a firmware update. Unfortunately with all the other problems that TT have I would hold your breathe for an update...

One thing I have noticed is that very few BT GPS receivers have firmware updates, not sure why, maybe it could be something to do with reliability of flashing via BT ?
Pedro-G
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest Globalsat BT-338´s have the new firmware 3.1.1, according to BuyGPSnow.

Still now info wheter or not existing SiRFstar III units are upgradable.
AlanK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fek - knew I should have got a 338 unit Sad

Just bought a MkII and finding these problems aswell
MovieMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a BT 338 which I got around a month ago, is there anyway of telling which firmware it has?

I have been using it every day since I got it and never had any of the problems you guys seem to be having, I get a fix within seconds every time :D
Pedro-G
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how to tell the firmware version, I remember there was something about it at the gpspassion forums.

MovieMan: I strongly suspect that if you got your unit a month ago, it has the 3.0.2 (older) firmware. The fact that you have no problems may be due to the way you typically use the reveiver.

I need to clarify something: I have "created" most of the situations to see the bugs in the firmware for myself. I've had very little problems (maybe only once) in "real-life" situations, that is, when I was actually using the GPS for my benefit.

AlanK: From what I've read in various forums, seems to me that the same applies to just about ALL SiRF III receivers - some users are experiencing problems, some are not.
jahirul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: SiRFstar III firmware upgrade for TomTom Bluetooth MkII Reply with quote

Pedro-G wrote:
I've been trying out the new TomTom receiver. A lot of the time it seems like a brilliant unit, when walking outdoors today even with high trees on both sides of the path, I tended to get 10/10 satellites, 6/8 being the minimum observed. The receiver was in my shirt pocket.

However, it has shown some rather erratic behaviour, that is, refusing to get a fix for a long time, even when in excellent conditions (on a field where it usually tracks all possible satellites with strong signal). <<snip>>

I use this device occasionally and this has started to annoy me. It takes 10-15 minutes of messing around at the start of the journey before the thing get a fix. This on standard residential area no high rising building.

Also, driving down the city (London) during the last weekend was no fun, it was so erratic.. looses position every minute or so and asked me to make turn no-entry roads several times.

Is this is a common problem with this device?

Thanks
Jahirul
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys
I have had a BT338 for a few months now and I can honestly say that it has never caused me any trouble at all. It gets a fix within seconds every time and it never ceases to amaze me. I press the button on the 338 and then start TT5 and by the time Tomtom has finished loading we have a fix and are ready to go. Maybe I am just lucky with my unit but one things for sure, I wouldn’t swap in for any other GPS device on the market.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: