Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Multi Purpose GPS receiver
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Multi Purpose GPS receiver

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjpearce
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Multi Purpose GPS receiver Reply with quote

I am looking to put a portable GPS routing system in my car, and have a separate hand-held device for walking/cycling.

It seems that a Garmin/Magellan unit with NMEA output would be an ideal answer, but I need the speed/sensitivity of a SiRF II receiver for the car.

Does anybody have any idea/experience of what type of hand-held (if any) will fit my requirement.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Multi Purpose GPS receiver Reply with quote

If you're definately looking for a handheld GPS, then you can use this in-car too. If you wanted a Pocket PC or Palm street routing system with re-routing and voice navigation then you can simply connect a Garmin or Magellan up to either a Pocket PC or Palm and get the best of both worlds. Both Garmin/Magellan won't be a problem in-car, but I would suggest going for one that has a Quad Helix antenna as you'll get better signal in-car. Either something like the GPSMap76 or any of the Magellan Meridian range have Quad Helix antennas and you wouldn't notice any difference from say a powered in-car GPS Receiver. The only downside would be that you would need to power the Garmin with batteries. There are several powered cable sets, but one I've tried I had bad experience with the cable melting, so if you wanted to use a handheld GPS in-car, then I'd suggest sticking with batteries.
pjpearce
Occasional Visitor

Thanks Dave,

I guess your answer is what I expected, I am only now concerned with the re-acquition time of the hand-held GPS units compared to the dedicated in-car SiRF II receivers (~ 0.1s).

Does anybody know what chipset's are used by the hand-helds manufacterers and their re-acquition times.

I am harping on this subject since I will be spending quite a lot of time in the "Urban Canyon" and I want to be sure the above solution is workable.

Dave
Frequent Visitor

Although most of the handheld manufacturers won't tell you re-acquisition time, it really won't be much of an issue. I have a Garmin GPSMap76S and coming out from a tunnel will re-acquire from 0 sats to 7 sats within a couple of seconds.

The only issue you'll have is batteries, you'll need to keep recharging them or find a reliable in-car accessory charger for the handheld GPS Receiver.
pjpearce
Occasional Visitor

The major issue here, as I see it, is "within a couple of seconds".

If I am driving downtown somewhere, between high buildings, I might possibly get satellite signal(s) at junctions (unless there is one directly overhead), which I would cross in about a second or so, this would imply that a normal hand-held GPS receiver would fail to locate itself at all unless I stopped in the middle of a junction.

The beauty of the SiRF II receiver is that it can re-acquire lock (even on a single satellite signal) in 0.1s - plenty of time when crossing a junction.

So it comes back to, how fast can hand-held GPS receivers re-acquire position lock, and can they lock/ track with only a single satellite signal.

Since Garmin/Magellan etc. do not publish this information, I must conclude that I cannot use a hand-held GPS receiver for car use in city centres.

I would be very interested to know if anybody has successfully used a hand-help GPS receiver, connected to a Pocket PC or Palm in city centres.

DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Certainly Garmin use their own GPS chipsets and they don't publish a right lot of information about it. I'm not sure about Magellan.

One thought that comes to mind is a Fortuna GPSmart, which uses a SiRF chipset (not sure precisely which one - but it will be a recent one). It appears there's PDA cables available for the cheaper model, or if you have Bluetooth on your Pocket PC you can use the Bluetooth model.

I guess a look in the Fortuna forum will see what people think of them. I know very little other than they exist.

David
Dave
Frequent Visitor

pjp, I quite frequently use a Garmin GPSMap76S both walking and driving through city centre's and London and don't have any issue with re-acquisition. 2 Seconds has been my slowest time, on average, it's probably just short of a second.

I use a large combination of CF card GPS Receivers, Bluetooth, in-car GPS mouse, and I'd say certainly the Garmin's with the Quad Helix are on par with all the other's running SiRF I or SiRF II.

The only thing I would recommend against is going for a hanedheld receiver that uses a patch antenna.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: