Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Go 500 Has Died <:(
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Go 500 Has Died <:(

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KathG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: TomTom Go 500 Has Died <:( Reply with quote

Hi
I have just sadly returned my TomtomGo 500 to PC world, Crying or Very sad
It refused to start up this morning , just the black screen showing. This was while I was in the house and it was powered with the power supply.
We also tried it in the car on the way to PC World. But know go.
Initially I thought I was going to have a problem with PC world, as the sales guy started to tell me that they could do nothing about it until they got an authorisation. form TomTom. I Said that i would not leave without a replacement or a refund as I had only had the Tomtom one week.
Anyway in the end after they had tested it themselves, they agreed to give me a refund.
Has anyone else had the Tomtomgo 500 die on them this way, as I am interested to know why it happened, before i go and buy another one.
The only one time , yesterday when we tried it out , it worked flawlessly,even after we decided to go a different way to which it planned.
And John Cleese is amusing, though might get annoying after a while Wink

Regards Kath
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try the reset button underneath the unit? I had this happen to me on my 700, but was quickly sorted out with a reset.

Jonathan
KathG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jonathan

I have to be honest I did not try that myself, but the sales guy at PC world, did a Reset, and still nothing. Crying or Very sad

Regards
Kath
BrianI
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing happened to my six day old TTGO 500 today whilst being powered in the car - screen suddenly went blank and would not come back. Pressed the rest button underneath with a paper clip and it sprung back to life.

Brian
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my 2p worth: your supplier *must* take a faulty TT back inside 14 days period. It's not the first time I heard about suppliers saying they can do nothing without authorisation from TT.
KathG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eldar

Yes i agree, i thought you had at least 14 days to return a faulty item.
I tried Halfords, yesterday, but again at first they told me that the policy was that they could not exchange faulty Tomtoms without an autherization from TomTom. something to do with them not being able to sell returns, and then having to return them to TomTom, and TomTom telling them that there was nothing wrong with the units. apparently they get allot of people who after a month or two change there minds about wanting a SatNav.
Anyway after a long discussion he changed his mind and said they could replace a TomTom up to 28days after purchase for faulty units at the managers discretion.
so now just need to decide where to go to buy a replacement from.
Regards
Kath
linrew
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi

i used comet for my purchase firstly because i worked for them at the time and got staff discount, secondly because they have a 28 day exchange/refund policy if the unit is faulty, and thirdly they have a 365day exchange policy on the ttgo(if it goes faulty within 365 days they replace not repair)i do not know if the 300/500/700 has the same policy though. just ask them

linrew :D
Nezza42
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear PCWorld did the right thing. This BS about authorisation from manufacturers, etc is just that...BS!

When you purchase goods from a store, your contract is with the store, not the manufacturer of the goods. That's why waranty always state they are in addition to your "statutary rights"

The store is legally bound to sell you goods that are of "merchantable quality" and that are "fit for purpose". A TTG that breaks after a week is neither, therefore the store is legally bound to do something about it!

If, though, the manufactuere gets involved & you have the unit repaired, then you can't return it for a refund/replacement if it breaks again!!!!!

Always inist on a new replacement or refund!

Neal

It's also worth paying by credit card if it's over £100 as the credit card company is also jointly liable.

Finally, just because a product has a waranty, don't assume if it breaks after the waranty period you've had it.Again, you never had a contract with the manufacturer or the supplier of the waranty, you had a contract with the store you bought from. If the goods become faulty within an unreasonable period (ie if it went pop 13months after you bought it) you could (probably succesfully) argue that it would be reasonable to expect a £500 device made by a reputable manufacturer to last more than 13 months. Again, the responsibility would lie with the supllier to rectify the issue - makes a joke out of extended waranties IMO!
radavis
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may help others in the future. I am completly fed up in dealing with shops that either dont know the legislation that deals with faulty goods or those that try and rip you off by denying that comsumers rights exist. In addition to the Sale of Gods Act The Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002 gives us extra rights that can in some cases last for up to 6 years.

ADDITIONAL RIGHTS OF BUYER IN CONSUMER CASES

48A Introductory

(1) This section applies if -
(a) the buyer deals as consumer or, in Scotland, there is a consumer contract in which the buyer is a consumer, and

(b) the goods do not conform to the contract of sale at the time of delivery.
(2) If this section applies, the buyer has the right -
(a) under and in accordance with section 48B below, to require the seller to repair or replace the goods, or

(b) under and in accordance with section 48C below -
(i) to require the seller to reduce the purchase price of the goods to the buyer by an appropriate amount, or

(ii) to rescind the contract with regard to the goods in question.
(3) For the purposes of subsection (1)(b) above goods which do not conform to the contract of sale at any time within the period of six months starting with the date on which the goods were delivered to the buyer must be taken not to have so conformed at that date.

(4) Subsection (3) above does not apply if -
(a) it is established that the goods did so conform at that date;

(b) its application is incompatible with the nature of the goods or the nature of the lack of conformity.
48B Repair or replacement of the goods

(1) If section 48A above applies, the buyer may require the seller -
(a) to repair the goods, or

(b) to replace the goods.
(2) If the buyer requires the seller to repair or replace the goods, the seller must -
(a) repair or, as the case may be, replace the goods within a reasonable time but without causing significant inconvenience to the buyer;

(b) bear any necessary costs incurred in doing so (including in particular the cost of any labour, materials or postage).
(3) The buyer must not require the seller to repair or, as the case may be, replace the goods if that remedy is -
(a) impossible, or

(b) disproportionate in comparison to the other of those remedies, or

(c) disproportionate in comparison to an appropriate reduction in the purchase price under paragraph (a), or rescission under paragraph (b), of section 48C(1) below.
(4) One remedy is disproportionate in comparison to the other if the one imposes costs on the seller which, in comparison to those imposed on him by the other, are unreasonable, taking into account -
(a) the value which the goods would have if they conformed to the contract of sale,

(b) the significance of the lack of conformity, and

(c) whether the other remedy could be effected without significant inconvenience to the buyer.
(5) Any question as to what is a reasonable time or significant inconvenience is to be determined by reference to -
(a) the nature of the goods, and

(b) the purpose for which the goods were acquired.
48C Reduction of purchase price or rescission of contract

(1) If section 48A above applies, the buyer may -
(a) require the seller to reduce the purchase price of the goods in question to the buyer by an appropriate amount, or

(b) rescind the contract with regard to those goods,
if the condition in subsection (2) below is satisfied.

(2) The condition is that -
(a) by virtue of section 48B(3) above the buyer may require neither repair nor replacement of the goods; or

(b) the buyer has required the seller to repair or replace the goods, but the seller is in breach of the requirement of section 48B(2)(a) above to do so within a reasonable time and without significant inconvenience to the buyer.
(3) For the purposes of this Part, if the buyer rescinds the contract, any reimbursement to the buyer may be reduced to take account of the use he has had of the goods since they were delivered to him.

48D Relation to other remedies etc.

(1) If the buyer requires the seller to repair or replace the goods the buyer must not act under subsection (2) until he has given the seller a reasonable time in which to repair or replace (as the case may be) the goods.

(2) The buyer acts under this subsection if -
(a) in England and Wales or Northern Ireland he rejects the goods and terminates the contract for breach of condition;

(b) in Scotland he rejects any goods delivered under the contract and treats it as repudiated;

(c) he requires the goods to be replaced or repaired (as the case may be).

If the goods are found to be faulty within the first 6 months it is down to the seller to prove they werent faulty when bought

Sorry its so boring but I have found the above very useful in the past.
Outlander
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I to had same happen but reset sorted it out.
KathG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote][Sorry its so boring but I have found the above very useful in the past.[/quote]

Hi
Thanks for the info, will keep a copy of this. Not boring at all

Regards
KathG

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: