Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Destinator console wont convert.csv files to .DAT ?!?!?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Destinator console wont convert.csv files to .DAT ?!?!?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swav
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Destinator console wont convert.csv files to .DAT ?!?!? Reply with quote

Dear All
I have to say there is lots of useful stuff here and help at hand, but nobody have mentioned about the console not be able to convert the .csvl file to .DAT
I was folowing the info how to downlad the camera files, but for some strange reasonI cant convert the files, the just stay as csv in the favorite folder
after the conversion Im pressing the download button and comes up with an error .....Destinator not instaled. has any one knows what Im doing wrong.
The GPs is working fine and even resently I have downloaded the map form my CD to the pocket PC no problem
kind regards
swav
nunew33
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried creating it on PC and coping it across using active synch
Swav
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I didnt know there is any other way, I would be greatful if you could suply me with some information how to do it
thanks
Road_Warrior
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swav. I just tried converting some .csv files in Destinator console (I'm using v. 3.1). The following points arise with the problems you are encountering:

Are you sure the .csv files you are trying to convert are D3 specific files? From the download 'pocketgps_uk_sc.zip', there is a folder called 'csv files' and within that, there are two more folders - destinator3 and 'other'. I just tried to convert one of the files from the 'other' folder and it will not work. A file from the destinator3 folder however does convert.

To convert in Destinator console, tick the UK_Ireland map to enable the Favourites importer, then click on Favourites Importer. next, click on the ... box and locate the csv file to convert and click open. The file name should appear in the box titled 'Category name' underneath the input file box. Then click convert. You should then get a report telling you of the number of records loaded and that the file has been created. If you are sure you are selecting the correct file, maybe it is corrupt - it might be worth downloading the database again - just a thought.

The conversion process creates a .dat file and if successful, stores it in C:\destinatorapps\installer\console\indepindep\favourites.

Back in Destinator console, pressing the download button simply transfers the file(s) in the above location onto your n35, assuming that it is connected to your PC with the USB sync cable and powered on. After successful download, the file is removed from the PC's hard drive.

I tried downloading to my n35 with nothing in the favourites folder, but the programs just hangs (it doesn't crash).

Alternatively, maybe there's a problem with your installation of Destinator Console, it may be worth re-installing that from the CD's.

Hope this is of some help to you.
Road_Warrior
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...forgot one detail....if you do successfully create a dat file and you're following the instructions from elsewhere on this site to install the camera database, you need to go to C:\destinatorapps\installer\console\indepindep\favourites in windows explorer and rename the .dat file to Auto Alert 1.dat (or 2, whichever is appropriate to your installation) before downloading to your n35. The spaces in the file name DO matter.

Hope you've done a back up of the n35 before you started this.

Good luck.
Swav
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Road Warrior
I have done exactly as you have mentioned. One thing comes to mind id the corruoted files, I will try do download again. I have been usin the right file from Destinator folder. I have trye do reinstall the console and the same thing. One thing is strange that is saving the files after the conversion in .TXT , like notepade ASCII kind of format. it doeaso copy to the right folder though.
any more sugestions??? thanks again

regards

swav
Road_Warrior
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, you're losing me now...In my Destinator Console, the program gives no choice so far as the converted file format is concerned - mine only converts to .dat. There is no way of selecting another file type when the Favourites Importer window is opened - you can't even type a file extension in the Category Name box underneath the Input File box as you can't type a dot (.) in there.

I have tried editing one of the .csv files using Excel97 to see if there is anything in the editing or Save as... process which might cause Destinator Console to act differently, but no - mine still creates a dat file.

What version of Destinator console are you using? - have you checked the User manual for your version - go Help>User Manual - mine details Favourites Importing on Page 115 - again, only info states that file will be converted into a dat file. Maybe you'll glean further info from there.

Road_Warrior
Road_Warrior
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, swav, second thoughts, this may help - follow the link to this site - I have converted the single file to dat format for you.

Road warrior

http://www.sxhome.plus.com/pocketgps_uk_sc.dat
JakeS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am totally new to this and have been having similar problems to those mentioned before. I now have a copy of the dat. file but don't know where to put it! Embarassed I have looked all over the pocketgps site but can't find info on how to load these files to Destinator software. Please help.
Swav
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Road Warrior
Thanks again. I must have explain it wrong. You are right there is no option for the conversion on the console. Just main was converting to the .TXT every time, not .DAT
Thanks for the file I will follow the info and load the file on to my pocket PC. is the file you have send me the one you are using?? if so , is it working OK??
Road_Warrior
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swav, yes, this is the file I used. Rename it to Auto Alert 1.dat (include the spaces in the file name), and then put it on your PC at the following location:

C:\DestinatorApps\Installer\Console\IndepIndep\Favourites

If you then connect your N35 to your PC, start up Destinator console on your PC, click the Uk_ireland Map, then click the Favourites converter and click download, and the file should be transferred from your hard drive onto the N35.

bear in mind that to complete the installation you have to copy across a camera icon file and the sound files....i'm assuming you have that under control.

Road Warrior
Swav
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again
And no I dont have the icon and sound under contol at all, I was stock with the .DAT file and the bloody consle, so if you have any info on that , it would be much appreicieted!!!!
SolPuerto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swav

Do you have Destinator 3 or ND? Does your console have the Favorites Importer as ND does not show it.
Have you ensured you have active sync open and connected when you do the conversion.
If you pick up the csv files in this site they will rename your alerts on the PDA to the file name when succesfully imported. Try picking up the Temp camera file rename to e.g "Trial Alert" and try to convert and then import through the console.
It works on ND and you will see in you Favorites a new alert called "Trial Alerts".
If it works you can then proceed to do the same for all the cameras, rember to name the files what you want to see. Also then delete "Trial Alerts".

Best of luck
Swav
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SolPuerto
Thank you for your advice, the weeknd is up us again, so I will try agin,

regards

swav

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Destinator All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: